DD/DYD

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bbymks5, Nov 4, 2017.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I think it's whatever you want to do! I personally go to 31 because we usually have at least one of our Christmas celebrations after the 25th (this year it's my parents who don't get here until the evening of the 26th). But mine isn't always days, sometimes my "day" is a thing that doesn't really have a specific date associated with it... like documenting new ornaments or what music we're listening to.

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  2. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Oh my gosh Timmi— how to decide!? The new alphas from @AllisonPennington are my favorite thing in DYD hands down. Definitely going to mix designers because there are SO MANY good things!

bbymks5 and AllisonPennington like this.
  3. tkradtke

Okay... you're taking to the girl who has only successfully completed an album once (but I had lots of other attempts!)... but last year, I did my journaling foundation pages with the same kit. Then I used whatever kit fit my photos best (either color or theme) and added elements from that kit to the foundation page to coordinate the facing pages. So there was a bit of a unifying theme, but I mixed and matched a bunch of other kits. This year, I might attempt to use one collection like the DYD Falala from this year. Lots of variety but still a unifying theme. Who knows what I'll actually end up doing! lol!

bbymks5 likes this.
  4. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I am going to 31 but it is probably because I am SO EXCITED! I want to start now lol

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

My hubby's birthday is on the 31st- so I always go through to have his day in the albums too (mine is the 1st!) :)

I'll have to get a pic when I get my decor out (books packed with holiday decor!)

bbymks5 and tkradtke like this.
  6. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

@tkradtke and anyone else who might be interested...
    Back in 2011 I had my 6x8 pages printed as a spiral bound book using this site:
    http://www.heritagemakers.com/shop/?e=viewProductDetail&cid=1&paid=8&storeid=1

As you can see, it says 6x9 but I measured my acutal book and it's more like 6x8.5 and I was able to fit my layouts without cutting much. It's been a long time ago, so I can't remember what the actual upload process was like, but overall I'm happy with how the little book came out. It's not a hard cover - it's a really thick card stock that the whole book is made out of and spiral bound, although the cover wraps back around the spiral so you still have a spine you can print on. This may not make much sense, because it's late here, but it might be worth checking out. Its not a format I'd use for most of my scrapbooks, but it's fun for a little DYD album I thought. I won't have time until after the weekend, but if you're interested I could take some photos and post them here.

bbymks5, tkradtke and bestcee like this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Whatever you want it to be! Some go through the 6th - Three Kings Day.

I'm debating on starting with Thanksgiving and calling it Holiday Season. Because we have Christmas type things we start the day after Thanksgiving.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I mix and match for the most part. If I'm in a super big hurry and just need to get the page done, I'll use one kit quickly. And there are times that I alternate kits between days.

I've done both. I have a few years that go to 31 and a few that stop at 25. It just depends on what's going on that year :)

bbymks5 likes this.
  9. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

for my DD I love mix and match kits that's why I love the DYD because, like the BYOC, all the designers have worked with the same colors and it's easier.
    and my DD counts 31 days. I stop my project life on nov 30th and then I start my DD. can't wait... I think I'm like a child

GwenCreative, bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is an awesome idea! We sometimes put the tree up the day or weekend after Thanksgiving, so starting it then would be perfect. Hmmmmm

Me, too!! I'm so glad to have found something that gets me really excited this time of year instead of feeling blah because of the cold and dark.

GwenCreative and bbymks5 like this.
  11. tkradtke

We start with Christmas-y things before December so I always struggled with what to call my project. I finally settled on "The Stories of Christmas" followed by the year (one year, I didn't finish, I tried "Capturing Christmas"). Mine is strictly Christmas and not a daily type of project (since I continue with PL during this time). I have 31 "days" in my book, but those "days" bounce around a bit and include the stuff from November.

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am a mix-y-matchy type cause the designers made them to go together... And hey green and red go with everything, right??? I bought one bundle so far... but am eyeing some others. Those snowmen by Dawn Inskip are adorable. Yes, snow is an infrequent thing here but a girl can hope and dream ---> art journal page!

GwenCreative, bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  13. burnbright

burnbright Active Member

I haven't done a December album. This will be my daughter's first christmas and I want to try 6x8. The only place I have found that prints that size is adoramapix but I haven't used them before.

Part of me thinks I should start simple with a 4x6 or 5x7 book. Use photo overlays like these from one little bird if I can find them the right size.

bestcee, bbymks5 and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  14. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I used the Pear Tree 12x12 templates for my DYD album in 2014 and it turned out really really nice.
    This year I am torn now. I was going to use the 6x8 templates this year but after seeing the super sewn pockets templates from Valorie in the post by @IntenseMagic I want them!!!

[​IMG]
    But I can't really justify buying everything I want. I already own the Pear Tree ones, so why not use them? Oh, what to do?

I am ogling Lynn Marie's Joyous bundle (I normally stick to one or two kits max. for DYD - and a few bits and pieces), but I also love her Tinsel which I already have and have never used.

So now I am going through the shop and my stash and keep saying "Oh, just get it!" and "Noooo, you have what you need." :) It's awful!

It is pretty easy to print photobooks in 6x8 (or similar) over here, so I am amazed that it is not common in the US (usually it is the other way around). They offer all sorts, spiral bound, super deluxe, soft cover, so that is convenient for us Europeans, for once.

GwenCreative, bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

PrestoPhoto does 8x6 landscape and 5.5x8.5 and 6x9 portrait.

bbymks5 likes this.
  16. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I do all 31 days, but last year in the PL app group I'm in, several ladies stopped at Christmas Day...it just felt incomplete to me for some reason.

I love her alpha this year! I had to have a serious heart to heart with myself...I went with a lot of items from 2014 since I have girls and with that comes a lot of girly colors...I had to make myself get things that would work for me vs what I wish my style was :( boooo hissss

I picked up a lot of 2014's DYD items, hoping I can stick with those...but I doubt it LOL

I love mixing and matching, but I'm hoping I can stick with the 2014 kits I grabbed LOL

So true about the DYD being like BYOC! Have you ever done a monthly recap page for PL just to tie December in there?

ROFL!! I wish for snow here in the Valley every year! Sometimes we get a bit of flurries, but obviously it doesn't last! I had to get Dawn's new stuff too! Love those little snowmen!

You're going to love it! It'll become your new yearly addiction! I love the 6x8 size.

Those are awesome!! I went with Cheryl's new 8.5x11 in the hopes to resize to 6x8 to print at 4x6 LOL Sounds good in theory! There are so many amazing kits that came out, but I had to sit myself down and get real with what goes with us vs what I wish my style was/is...I have girls, and with that comes lots of girly colors so I picked up quite a few items from DYD 2014 because of the pinks and blue/teal...it wasn't easy LOL

BevG likes this.