DD/DYD

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bbymks5, Nov 4, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I think I'm going to use the Pear Tree 6x8 templates by Sara Gleason this year for DD vs the PL app, they aren't too photo heavy for our not super busy lives which is what I loved about using the PL app.

I know there's a Document Your December thread for each of the days, but will there be daily prompts posted that we can follow along with?

LoveItScrapIt and Sara like this.
  2. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I bought ALL of Sara Gleason’s Christmas stuff during DSD. I love it so much and hope she releases some new stuff during DYD. I cannot wait to start using it all.

LoveItScrapIt, bbymks5 and Sara like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I believe there is a plan for daily prompts. I know there is planning happening for DYD! And did you check out the calendar? There's DYD listed for next weekend!

4. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

can't wait to see the new DYD, last year I've done my DD with only products from the DYD (except the templates).

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  5. bbymks5

You're much better at planning than me LOL!! But I love those Pear Tree templates!! But I'm also afraid to buy anything just yet....commitment problems LOL!

I did!! I'm crossing my fingers for daily prompts! This is my first year at the Pad, so I wasn't sure if it was going to be along the same lines as the Halloween Bash and iDSD?!!?

Last year I used the PL app and PL cards...which was super duper easy, but now that I know how to use PS I don't want to mess with the apps anymore LOL! So I'm super excited for DD this year!

bestcee likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm so excited for DYD! This will be my 6th year doing it and all of my albums are 6x8. It's such a great size and I like to keep it pretty simple. Our life is not super busy either and a lot of times my photos are just not necessarily Christmas related, just what was going on that day. I typically only use one or two photos for each day, simple embellishment, and a little journaling. Love those Pear Tree Templates and I'm so looking forward to seeing all the new stuff coming!!

7. bbymks5

I had a lot of non-Christmas related pics too! One photo, one filler card and one journal card is what I did last year, even for Christmas Day, I just took my favorite photo from the day and called it done LOL!

I'm so excited to see what is coming this year! I'm trying so hard to be good and wait to buy anything until this years has been release, but it's getting really hard!

bestcee likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

Same. I like to having at least a few pages all put together before December starts so that if it does get crazy all I have to do is plop in photos and add a little journaling.

bbymks5 likes this.
  9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Last year I started DYD but stalled out around day 10. I ended up just putting the pages in my regular family album. This year I plan to do the prompts if they strike my interest and not stress over it. Of course, I can buy all the pretty DYD to do my regular Christmas pages. I did print out gift tags last year and I used them when wrapping presents.

I love Christmas and Winter kits, almost as much as the Fall kits.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  10. bbymks5

@IntenseMagic That's a great idea! Last year that would have been helpful when my youngest got sick after going to the dentist!

@BevG I love Christmas and winter kits too!! They're so just happy and cheerful!! Do you like having more than one prompt for each day to pick from like I do?

11. bbymks5

I'm having commitment issues!! Now I can't decide if I want to do 6x8 templates, Rolodex style or library pocket style...this isn't good ladies, this is how I get overwhelmed and then nothing happens :( All I know is I want the end result to be printed at 4x6 so I can tip each day into my TN insert.

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@bbymks5 - Last year I started mine as 8x8 album and ended up remaking them 12x12. My software, Artisan, can size down, not up. So for resolution reasons, I had to re-do them when I went from 8x8 to 12x12. So something to consider if you decide to later size up. Not sure what Photoshop does but the smaller size at 300dpi won't size up to a bigger size and remain 300dpi.

bbymks5 likes this.
  13. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've never done any of this. What's the purpose of DYD with a 6x8 album? Where do you get that size printed. :D

bbymks5 likes this.
  14. bestcee

I use Photoshop. Currently, I just start all my layouts that I intend to be square on a 12x12 workspace, and size them down to 8x8 for printing.
    You can use smart objects though. Smart objects will retain the information and let you size up (to the original size of the object) or down without losing the resolution.

bbymks5 likes this.
  15. bestcee

I have not looked into printing yet. I guess if nothing else, I could always print it 8x8 and cut off the extra 2 inches, or create Day tabs with it? (Ok, now that is sounding cool in my head!)

6x8 is twice the size of a 3x4 photo. So, I could stack 2 3x4's and then put a journal card, or other decoration next to it. I could use a 5x7 photo and decorate around it. But it's not as intimidating as a 12x12.

sparagus, LoveItScrapIt and bbymks5 like this.
  16. bbymks5

This reminds me of last year, my first year ever hearing about DD; the first 5 days I just used 12x12 PL layouts in the PL app, resized them in the PixelLab app to 8x8 and printed out on matte photo paper to fold into thirds and tip in to my TN, it quickly became too much so I redid the first 5 days and switched to the 6x8 size template in the PL app, resized to 4x6 and printed at home with my HP app. It was a hot mess until I got everything figured out LOL!

I was drawn to the 6x8 size because I resized them to 4x6 to I could print at home and tip into my TN. We lead very boring lives so I don't have a lot of photos to fill up a 12x12 layout daily. I'm not sure who prints 6x8, but I like Courtney's thinking, that way you can print at home if you want.

bestcee likes this.
  17. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I’d love to see a double page template with enough photo spots to this nicely. Last year, I just used a single calendar template and my pictures were too small.

bbymks5 likes this.
  18. bbymks5

Ohhh!! That's a good idea!

19. IntenseMagic

This will be my 6th year doing DYD and all of my albums are 6x8. I just love the size because I can be really simple and not feel like I have to fill a whole 12x12 every day. We don't have a lot of stuff going on and a lot of it is just a random photo or two of the day, so 6x8 is perfect. Persnickey Prints does 6x8 and there are a few others that do. And I have printed some at home and trimmed them. I like to keep it simple and quick so that I don't give up :)

LoveItScrapIt and bbymks5 like this.
  20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've researched a bit. I don't know that there is a place that will print a 6x8 album. But there are plenty of places that will print 6x8 prints & you can get 6x8 albums to slip them into. I think I'm going to try that this year.