Cut out overlays? whose are they?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by cookingmylife, Nov 3, 2017.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have the silhouette designer edition and messed with it some last night. Unless you have business edition, the only way to save as a PDF is to "print" to PDF. I could only get mine to save the PDF as an 8.5x11. So, if you're wanting to convert one of the big cut files to use on a 12x12 LO, I can't figure out how to make a PDF that size from Silhouette. And, if I made it fit the 8.5x11 PDF, a lot of quality was lost when I tried to enlarge it.

bestcee likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hmmm....now it feels like a challenge! I'm going to check it out when I get home. I don't have those programs on my laptop.

3. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I figured it might be easier just to make my own in PSE... the ones with the lines or shapes wouldn't be hard at all.

keepscrappin, cfile and bestcee like this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Desi and Courtney @bestcee

No other software is needed to convert studio files to a png to use in PSE or CC. Just convert them online. It will do the big cut files to use on a 12x12 layout.

1. convert from studio to svg here.
    http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx
    2. Then convert from svg to png here.
    http://svgtopng.com/

Hope that helps!

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Right, but I'm always iffy of those internet conversion sites. Because what if someone hacks them and I get back a virus (has happened to my brother)? And what do they do with the file I uploaded?

I have a Silhouette, so I already have the software. So, if that works, it makes me a little more comfortable with the process, and isn't much different from having to twice convert a file with two online uploader.

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

That is what I did on the page I scraplifted of Isa..
    Isa's: [​IMG] Mine: [​IMG]

I just used the marquee tool and also made thick frame like lines and made triangular shapes etc. Fairly easy but time consuming :) but as Courtney @bestcee says it was a challenge to make from scratch!

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  7. cfile

They were from paper issues.. both the criss cross background Isa used and the bouquet that someone else used.

8. cfile

Kayla thank you that is AWESOME!!! I found the boquet & the Criss Cross that background ones in the paper issues as they were free files and I did what you suggested with the conversions and wow that was so easy! Thanks !!

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Now you have me hooked on giving this a try as well. Sounds like fun, making one's own cut out overlays.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  10. keepscrappin

True you do have to be careful online and use what you’re comfortable with.

11. keepscrappin

I was thinking the same thing in using the marquee tool and stroking an outline to make my own cut outs. I love the mix of triangles, rectangles and chevrons in your cut out.

cfile likes this.
  12. cfile

Thanks Kayla!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

@flowersgal @keepscrappin

Yes, I stumbled upon the Ideas R Us software after I posted to this thread! You can only convert 10 Silhouette files to SVG per day but I haven't had any other issues with it. Converting from Silhouette -> SVG -> PNG is easy peasy with those two sites. Yeah for the Internet!

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

OK, after all the talk about cutouts I had to give them a go and create my own but went a step further and made a template with different paper spots for every cut out. I only filled a few of the spots here though.

[​IMG]

If anybody is interested in the template, just let me know. I could clean it up a bit to make it presentable, :-)

15. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks for posting this. I just tried and it was certainly easy but I did get stopped. I was not aware they had limits so I must have converted my 10. Will try again tomorrow.

16. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Oh a million thanks! It worked well but I have now learned that there is a limit of 10 per day for the site which converts from studio to svg. I got my 10 and will have to try again another day for the rest.

I love not having to install any new software on my computer in order to do the conversion. Yeah to you for finding the converters and sharing them with us.

keepscrappin likes this.