Curly or straight | pad patter 9.18.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Kayla.... I am the other way around, my hair is naturally curly (and still at almost 60, tons of it!!!! I know I am lucky on that!) I like it curly, but love how it looks straight...thing is, it takes almost two hours to straighten it with the European straighteners, we have a VERY good one we invested money in, but still, can't compare with the South Americans!!!
    I only get Sarita to straighten it for me when we have a especial event, otherwise.... too much work!!!
    It is very late now, but I see so many awesome products posted I will come back to read properly tomorrow!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Your curls look like my curls! Yes, I do have a leave-in conditioner too same brand different one.

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  3. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I thought that was you in the photo in your reply!! I'm so confused now LOL!!

Short hair is so much fun!!

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

LOL, it is me: But my hair isn't long like Merida's. I feel that her length would be tough to pull off... I'd end up looking more like a chia pet than a Disney princess!

keepscrappin and bbymks5 like this.
  5. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

I have thick wavy hair that tries to make curls. I never straighten my hair and don't even own a hair dryer. Gel or mousse and air drying is all I do. I never quite knew how to take care of my fluffy, frizzy hair (honestly, didn't realize how wavy my hair was until my 20s). The game changer last December was the Curly Girls group on Facebook. The key parts to their method are no sulfates or silicones, and scrubbing/washing the scalp with conditioner only. It took a lot of experimentation and trying different conditioners and gels but my hair has gotten so much softer and smoother. After getting my hair chopped last month I've really loved my wavy curly hair!

Attached Files:

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

The visual teehehehehehe!!!

You look great with that cut!! I love seeing other women rock the short hair and owning it!

Tree City likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lots of great product suggestions here! :) Hmmm... I do love trying new products!

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

My hair is a wavy and can be frizzy. It doesn't have enough to be curly where it looks good air dried! I usually straighten it, and run the hot iron through it. I don't use too many products, a frizz eliminator if anything. :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

You had me falling out of my seat laughing!!!

I have a curl but if it dries naturally it is more of a frizz.... I should try some of these products.................. which one?

Tree City and keepscrappin like this.
  10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

You have gorgeous curls. That's the look I want! What conditioners and gels do you use?

11. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Aw thanks! I switch between different combos. I always use Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner to scrub my scalp. To condition my hair and get enough moisture I alternate Generic Value Product Conditioning Balm (from Sally's Beauty Supply) or Tresemme Perfectly Undone. For gel it's Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel or mousse, or Eco Krystal gel. Scrunch in the gel while my hair is super wet and let it air dry. It dries hard and crunchy so once the hair is completely dry I scrunch it again to get rid of the crunch and make it smooth and soft.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

The shorter my hair, the curlier it becomes...and I love it now, hate as a teen living in fog laden Bay Area of California!
    I am growing it out and it straightens on its own, with a bit of a wave.
    I hate messing with my hair. Seriously, have never had a good haircut. I usually look in mirror after the cut and think I asked for something completely different, but say,
    Thank you, love it, and go home and put on make up to make me feel better, cause I hate my hair for about 3 months as it grows.
    This is why after too many years of really horrible hated short haircuts, I gave up and am letting it grow out. NO end trims or anything...just grow until my bangs hit my shoulders, then I will ponder what to do.
    I have a defrizzer I use when I remember, but usually, wash hair, sleep on it, and brush in morning. if it needs a bit of defuzzing I will try...but I just don't think about it, unless my neck gets hot (then I pull up) or it gets in eyes...comb on top.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My curls are fine -- as in my hair is very fine. I use a curl spray instead of the gel that @Dalis and @Tree City showed. Just enough to keep the curls from frizzing. The other thing that works well for me is only washing my hair every other day and just wetting it on days in between. Air dry.

The curly hair method is to use no shampoo at all, but to just use conditioner every day to clean it. I haven't moved to that because my scalp feels too dirty but I may...
    [​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah Anne - For about 6 years I had the best hair dresser. Jim was $$$ but I would walk in and he would cut it however he thought best. Only once did he make a bad choice. That was the time he cut it so I could straighten it each day. Then one day he retired and I am on my own again. Sigh. Then I went to a friend's hairdresser who scalped me twice - I almost cried when I saw my hair. But I was brave, went to her again, and took pictures of what I wanted. I did cry the second time. I like my current hairdresser okay, but there is nothing like having someone you trust to make you look good. The first time I went to Jim, he told me my hair wasn't long enough and to come back in 2 months for a cut. Current one just does whatever I ask - even if it is "wrong". Hope you find someone you like.

15. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

So ... my hair is pretty dang curly. This is what I use:

[​IMG]
    I put it on wet. Then I'm "supposed" to spray it with hair spray and then diffuse it. 99% I'm super lazy and just spray it let it air dry.

[​IMG] If I can't find the 18, I'll use the 23.

I ran out of my hair spray and was using something else left at the house. It worked in a pinch, but no where near as good. The Redken along with the lotion keeps it from getting too dry/frizzy. It's not too crunchy either. Especially if I use the hair spray with the diffuser. If I do my hair nice with the product, I can actually go 2 days without having to redo it. I can just run my hands under water and pat my hair down to fix the bed head and I'm good for a second day. My hair is pretty short now so there's not much to get tangled.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  16. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I do a mixture of both depending on my mood. My hair has a tiny natural wave to it... but I normally braid it or wear it in a pony to work. On my days off I will wear it down or half up or down.. sometimes I will curl it with a wand....

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

This is exactly what I do. My daughter has curly hair that she wears long and she loves it. However, she does buy a lot of product for it. When she lived in Ohio, she found a stylist that specialized in curly hair.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Hmmm I (and everyone in my family) have curls too. Thick, heavy hair with thick curls.

The most important thing I found was to wash and condition it with specific products for curly hair. I always use the same brand shampoo and conditioner. I have different brands, that I switch between when I feel like the one brand doesn't work anymore, but I always make sure to use the shampoo and corresponding conditioner.
    I only comb my hair under the shower when I'm washing it. Never when it's dry!! Doing that will make my hair double in volume. In not a cute way.
    I put mouse (for curls) in my towel-dry hair and ideally let it dry to the air. It takes hours so, that's not always an option.

Usually I don't do anything more then that. Sometimes I use a curly hair cream, or a wax. But mostly I just deal with whatever it looks like when I get up. Leave it like that, put it halve up, put it in a ponytail or knot. Eh. I just roll with it.
    I think I spend 1 to 3 minutes on it in the morning.

I have tried straightening it. It doesn't work. And I don't have the patience and energy for it. I once had it done at the hair dressers, and I decided that straight hair just really doesn't suit me. So now I never even think about it.

But seeing all these products and recommendations in this thread, I feel like trying leave-in-conditioner.

And yes, sure, it gets a bit frizzy during the day. But that's normal, to me at least. The never comb your curly hair-rule is the most important one in the frizz-department.

19. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have incredibly curly hair that I wear long (about halfway down my back). My 9 year old daughter has even longer blonde hair that is stick straight and won't hold curl at all!

I struggle with frizz, especially living in the humid South, so I am excited to look into some of these products!