Cuppa | Pad Patter May 24

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, May 24, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Are you a tea drinker? Got any fave blends? Ever gone 'caffeine free'?

I've tried some I just can't handle in the past (like the pomegranate and berries ones that just make the water sour and hot pink and you can't add milk to) & just gone back to Cinnamon and Orange rooibos with the cold weather here (i went looking for lemon and ginger in the cupboard but couldn't find any) and have English Breakfast a couple times a week now but haven't had coffee since late January. I did miss it for a while, probably about 2 months, and was so aware of every 3rd shop being a cafe when out at shopping centres and of every 2nd person carrying takeaway coffee cups, but after a catch up with friends this week in the same cafe we've been going to every couple of months for around the last 3-4 years, I realised after it I didn't even smell the coffee while we were in there and wasn't consciously aware of everyone drinking it around me while I had my tea and we were chatting.

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

The only tea I like is peppermint tea. No caffeine, so technically "caffeine free," BUT I've had about 3 full cups of coffee today..so my life isn't caffeine-free...just my tea is. I'm fueled by caffeine.

I used to hate tea, but this peppermint tea kick started a few months ago. I love having a cup at night, after the kids are in bed. DH or I makes us each a cup and we drink it while chatting or just zoning out in front of the TV. DH likes tea, so we have some nice stuff here. Before I started drinking it, when friends came over and wanted tea I would literally just get out a teacup and then take out the sugar/cream/milk and all the tea choices. Then I'd say "I don't know how to do this so you'll have to take it from here" LOL! Thankfully they're all good friends who knew I didn't drink tea so they'd make it themselves with no judgement. I did know to put the kettle on, so at least I knew they needed hot water. ;)

cfile and bellbird like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm mainly a coffee drinker (with caffeine). I make iced tea quite often and I use Lipton's Cold Brew tea bags. We're pretty basic around here. Haha

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

I'm more a coffee person, but when I drink tea I prefer fresh mint tea. My boyfriend planted it in our our small herbs garden so now it's available all the time. Pure natural and sometimes with a little bit of honey

Karen and bellbird like this.
  5. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I love tea!! I'm really liking the Yogi Sweet Tangerine one right now. It's so good plain! I like the rooibos teas too!

bellbird likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is me, too :)

bellbird likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am a coffee drinker (ha ha) and now we switched.. first pot is caf the rest of the day is decaf. I really can't tell the difference to be honest. If I drink tea, I drink normal tea or sometimes a green tea but nothing in it. Also I like unsweetened ice tea if we go out to a restuarant and not having coffee at lunch will have an unsweetened cold ice tea. :) I have now switched also to black coffee at home - nothing in it... I only will put cream in now if I am out but at home, black :)

bellbird likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm one of those weird people who doesn't drink tea or coffee. I don't like the taste of coffee at all and I don't even know where to start with tea. I've tried a few varieties of tea bags, but I just don't get it... :giggle I prefer my morning Diet Coke. :)

LeeAndra, bellbird and littlekiwi like this.
  9. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m one of those weird people too. Diet Coke or Iced Tea for me. On occasion I’ll have the odd hot chocolate but that’s it.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I love tea, but I can't have it anymore (caffeine, acids). So, I've had to find alternatives. I've gone on kicks where I like specific blends but then tire of them and need to look for something new. I do love rooibos since it takes added flavors well. I found a tea store in Vermont, Vermont Liberty Teas, that has a wonderful selection of blends, so I purchase a lot from then when I visit.

I'm currently a fan of Pukka teas which I discovered while in Norway a couple years ago. It's hard to find all the blends here in the states, but I grab them up when I can. My favorite is their Chamomile, Vanilla & Manuka Honey which is incredibly hard to find here. The other blends I like are Love and Nighttime.

I also love Good Earth Sweet and Spicy Caffeine-free blend. I've loved that tea since there were Good Earth restaurants back in the 70s, and I'm thrilled that at least the tea survived! A similar tea is the Seattle Market Spice Cinnamon Orange, but they only have caffeine-free. Yeah, I can't even have caffeine free.

But my favorite was one I discovered while in Sweden. They call it Röda Te (Red Tea), a special blend of rooibos, sea buckthorn berries, orange leaves & blackberry leaves. I'm going to stock up on it when I'm there again this summer. I can't wait!

I should say that I sweeten everything with locally produced raw honey. Yum!!

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I loved drinking peppermint tea when I could. Have you ever made it with fresh peppermint leaves? It's so wonderfully intense!

12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

No I haven't, but I was just talking to DH about that because we have peppermint growing around an apple tree (the intense smell is supposed to discourage ants and aphids) and the peppermint needs to be cut back. I know it's basically a weed lol, so I want to keep its growth under control, and making tea with it seems like the perfect idea!

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  13. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

The only flavored tea I like is the Passion Tea from Starbucks. Otherwise, just plain ole unsweetened black tea. Has to be iced. I don't drink hot tea.

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I am a hard-core British black tea drinker. My favorite is PG Tips, my alternate is Typhoo. I don't care for herbal teas, or flavored teas. Although I do have a process of what goes into my tea, I typically don't drink it black. Interestingly, I don't like iced tea. I also am not a hot coffee fan, but I do enjoy an iced breve from Starbucks (no sweeteners).

cfile likes this.
  15. craftytam

craftytam Active Member

I'm a tea drinker (love the smell of coffee, but can't stand the taste!). My morning tea is cinnamon-plum. It is caffeinated, but I think they might have a decaf option. My go-to decaf is blackberry-sage. I buy these online from Republic of Tea http://www.republicoftea.com/ They do sell some of their teas at Cost Plus World Market, but not their full line.
    For iced tea, in CA I liked tropical iced tea at Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. I finally found an iced tea that I like here in Idaho at Dutch Bros - just their regular black iced tea is awesome.

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL and here i was thinking *i* was one of those weird people b/cos i can't stand the taste of cola or pepsi stuff, diet or otherwise - if it's not watered down apple juice or lemonade, it all tastes like syrup to me! (It's easier to just have water when we're out b/cos gagging at the table is not exactly nice!)

Karen and cfile like this.
  17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

You're my kind of people, @Karen .

Karen likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i did think of you when i asked about ever been caffeine free! i guess the decaff is only ever as good as the original coffee beans, the few times i had decaff i wasn't a fan but i'm glad you have one you can't tell the difference with!

cfile likes this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I know right.. I had to as Hubby was having sleeping issues and I don't know if it affected my blood pressure last fall but at least that is more normal all the time now with only 2 cups of the real coffee in the morning :) Hugs my dear!!

bellbird likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

We have a ton of different teas in the house ... always. I start my day with coffee but like tea later in the day or evenings. I love chai tea in cold weather and green tea when it's warm out. I'll try just about any flavor too. I also love making iced tea with a mix of different teas. I just made one yesterday with green tea, added some peach tea and mint. It was so good and refreshing!