WINNER! | Confess and WIN! (ends 6/21)

Discussion in 'Announcement Pad' started by ForeverJoy, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

Ok guys- I have a dirty secret I am sharing on the drawing board this week- and you can read the full backstory here on my blog- but- bottom line is this: I let my kids play video games. And sometimes, I am really happy for the free time it gives me when they do play.

And since this is such a big part of their worlds- (the way Space Invaders and Asteroids was a part of mine! :giggle am I dating myself?) I though I would create a design that let us tell their story!

It's hitting the shop this weekend- and I thought it would be fun to play a little game before it goes live!

Comment below on your gaming memories- or the stories you would dare to tell (and share!) with this one! :yup

I'll randomly choose a comment tomorrow night (6/21) by 7pm EST and you will WIN the design before it goes live! :thumbsups

[​IMG]

MrsPeel, bbymks5, KarenB and 5 others like this.
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

When I was growing up, it was pin ball machines. In college, I would spend lots of my time at the Gregory Snack Bar, they had a separate area with "gaming" machines there. A totally different atmosphere, you had to leave the comfort of your dorm room to (gasp) socialize in person and make friends. But I really don't recall playing any games, and if I did, only once or twice. DH isn't a gamer either, although when we were visiting Poland a few years ago, he and my 2nd cousin once-removed were so deeply into a game (playing on the TV screen) we couldn't break them away from it. :-)

3. zippyoh

zippyoh Well-Known Member

The kids I babysat for when I was younger had a Nintendo (the original one) and I loved to play Super Mario on it. I'd always play it after I put them to bed. :)

bellbird and ForeverJoy like this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

When I was growing up, we only had old school Nintendo, so I liked gaming at my friend's house because she had N64. I would also play at my cousin's over Thanksgiving until my thumbs nearly had blisters. Now my kids are the big gamers and I love that they are way more skilled than I am with a controller haha

5. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

OMG, my boys are so into Lego Dimensions now. The funny thing is, it has made them interested in checking out other things like reading Harry Potter & watching Dr. Who. I love when they play together. Such a fun kit to play with!

6. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

ohhh when I was a kid, we had Atari at home...but as my difference to my sister is 15 years apart, I wasn't the best company to play along with her, but she used to rent pac men on the game store so I could play and only watch her playing river raid and other cool games!! LOL am I too old?? :peekin

7. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I'm a gamer girl, I grew up with 2 brothers and we had an Atari a MSX computer and later a Nintendo and now I game on my laptop. Not all the time, but I still love it! Retro games (Curse of Monkey Island, Myst and Day Of The Tentacle) but also new ones. I like good visuals and great storytelling mostly. And one of my favorite books is Ready Player One!

8. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

We lived with my grandma when the Super Nintendo first came out. Over the summer I taught my grandma how to play. Most nights I went up to her room to say good night at bed time and we would stay up for hours playing. I mean until 3 or 4 am! I honestly don't know if my parents had a clue what time we stayed up until, but that has to be one of the best summers I ever had. It was both an exciting and sad day the time we beat the Super Mario World game.

Carol K., Karen, bellbird and 3 others like this.
  9. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

OH EM GEE! For me it was atari! first video game system i played on. Belonged to my uncle. used to love playing pacman! i still do!

bellbird, Vrielinkie and ForeverJoy like this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

We got an Atari when I was around junior high. The games I remember include Dodge 'em, a car racing game, Space Invaders, Breakout, and Pac Man. I enjoyed all of those. But Pac Man was especially fun because everyone in my family participated. We never played board games, so this was a fun, new thing, spending time together playing games. We even made a score sheet and compared our scores all the time.

bellbird, Vrielinkie and ForeverJoy like this.
  11. lmjrocko

lmjrocko See that in my rear view mirror? That's Michigan!

Pong was the first attari (yes, that's how old I am). While dating my hubby we were blessed with pac man.

12. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

:giggle I LOVE reading these!

bellbird likes this.
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We had old school original nintendo as kids. We just got my kids the classic nintendo. It's so crazy and nostalgic to hear the voices and music of the games I played as a kid when my kids are playing!

ForeverJoy and bellbird like this.
  14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We had old school original nintendo as kids. We just got my kids the classic nintendo. It's so crazy and nostalgic to hear the voices and music of the games I played as a kid when my kids are playing! My son would prefer to play video games all day long! I make him do something creative like legos or craft or something and then he can play for an hour or so.

15. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Oh Yes...We Had The Original Nintendo Too...My Sister Was Completely Obsessed With Super Mario...I Mean Addicted...I Remember One Day I Cam Home From Work...Let's Say Around 5 P.M. & She Was Sitting There Zoned Out Playing This New Addiction Called Video Games...I Ate My Supper Etc...Got Dressed Up To Go Out & I Didn't Get Home Til 2:00 A.M. & Oh My!...She Was Still There Playing Super Mario!...I Couldn't Believe This!...It Boggled My Mind!...I Myself Never Really Liked Video Games In General...Probably Because I Was So Bad At Them But I Did Love Playing Pac Man & Miss Pac Man Back Then...I Was So Bad At These Games But I Just Loved Those Blinking Eating Munching Gobblers!...

16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I remember space invaders too from my childhood.
    When my sons were small it was Super Mario and Motorbikes. Now its online first shooter games and what they call Happy juice - knowing they may not call it blood in front of the younger set.
    I love games on my ipad too, Township is my latest addiction.

17. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I was 19, the year was 1998; DH and I were dating then. I saved money to buy him a PlayStation for his birthday. He and all of his friends were excited. A friend's girlfriend was not: "How could you do such a thing? Now all they want to do is stay home and play video games". And here's my answer: "So, you'd prefer them to go out to bars?".

18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Okay, really date myself here --- so when we were first married, video games only existed at the arcade. My new husband, a grad student, spent many a hour in the arcade playing Joust (medieval jousting on ostriches) and Pac Man. Fast forward about 15 years, to when oldest was 5 and we got him a Gameboy, then Nintendo this and Nintendo that -- until his 7th or 8th birthday when Pokemon came to the USA! Somewhere we still have the promotional VHS for the Pokemon game and TV show. More Nintendo, another son, etc.... With their father's love of games, my rule became "no fighting" games.

Then they grew up and I quit monitoring their games. The sons are still avid players - in fact, oldest one was a professional player for a game in beta. He was playing in the evenings while working full-time as a web developer. His team even got a free trip to Calif to play one year and a free trip to Cologne, Germany the next year. When the game went belly-up before leaving beta, he quit playing professionally. Now he just plays for fun whenever. He, younger son, and friends have become avid board game players too. So they have some balance in their gaming.

DD has some games but doesn't play too much. Me, I was never any good, although I did like Harvest Moon where you planted veggies and did other farming stuff. Mario Kart -- I could never beat them so I would just drive around wherever, even backwards on the course, just to see what would happen.

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Wonderful memories!
    We had a Sega something (that's my memory for you) plugged into the tiny TV, (it was the one before the Mega system that my friend's family had with Sonic the hedgehog) but what I remember more is a game of teenage mutant ninja turtles on our 1st computer & being pretty hopeless at it! I think I started DD's obsession with games at about3-4 yrs old with ''find the hidden object' games on the laptop, she played them long after I lost interest

ForeverJoy and jagruti patel like this.
  20. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I had the very first Pong. Still have it in the closet under the stairs! And then I had the Atari. My best friend had an Intellivision, so we took turns whose house to spend the night at so we could play each others' games. And I was really REALLY good at the stand-up arcade game, Xevious. Back in the day where we would take a few dollars worth of quarters to an arcade and play, I could play 1/2 hour on one quarter.

I have a ton of video game stories, LOL. It was a huge part of my life age 10 to early 20's

ForeverJoy likes this.