**CLOSED**Scrapping Tip Of The Day | Game

Discussion in 'iNSD Party Pad' started by bcgal00, Apr 30, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Feeling lazy with my coffee and book

***WINNER ANNOUNCED***....congrats to kendrawalter!!!

Many of you are scrapping up a storm during the iNSD event, using varied software programs, and we can never have too many tips and tricks to help us, can we?

I'm going to post a tip a day for photoshop users. I'd love to hear from you, what tip/trick have you learned? Please post which software you use and then post your tip/trick. There's always something new to learn about our programs and can't wait to hear from you.

Each day I will copy the tips into the first post of this thread, so they will be easy to navigate through and hopefully we will all learn something new about our software. A TLP tip is to click on "watch thread" so you can easily find this thread to come back to. Have fun and let's all learn together!

A good reminder is:
    • Save document often, in case photoshop closes itself.
    Hybrid Tip:
    1. I adjust my brightness of the file (paper) that I print before printing. Most of the time I just use the auto feature, I just make sure it doesn't distort the color too much. IF it does, I just don't do it. This make the print page/paper more like the colors you see on your monitor, since printing on paper can some times dull the color a little bit!
    Miscellaneous Tip:
    1. This is not a software tip, but thought I would share for those of you who have hundreds of FONTS like I do! http://new.wordmark.it/ You can type in the word or phrase you are wanting to use, then hit enter. It will show those words in all of your fonts. You can click on your favorite ones, then hit "filter". It will bring up only the ones you chose. I love it, and I use it often. You may already know about this! It's free!
    Photoshop/PSE Tips:
    1. Here's a quick tip for painting/brushing in paper onto a layer.
      Start with a background paper layer, then select a paper for your second layer which you are going to paint/brush onto your layout.
      Press the ALT key while clicking on the mask icon at the bottom right of the layers palette. This will give you a black mask. Make sure you have the white foreground color chosen (bottom left of the tools palette), choose a brush and now you can brush your paper onto your page.
    2. I just learned that in CS6 I can edit just parts of a rasterized layer, such as dots, and move them around with out cutting and pasting.
      Use the marquee selection tool (square or circle) and select the area you want to move around, then click the Move Tool (arrow) and drag that selection where you want it, then hit CTRL-D to deselect.
    3. I like CTL J to duplicate an item in PSE 11. Just learned that literally like a few weeks ago!
    4. Add your credits/links to the file info (ctrl+shift+alt+i) in PSE & PSCC and they will stay with the metadata of the layout- when you upload to facebook- it generates them automatically. Also in the file viewer- you can find the credits under 'properties'
    5. In Photoshop, you can duplicate a layer (mostly I do this for elements i.e. multiple flowers) by first selecting the move tool (Ctrl + V shortcut), then press and hold ALT key and click on element on your page and drag. It will produce a copy of your element. You can do this repeatedly, as desired.
    6. Make sure if you are doing online back ups (ie Backblaze & Crashplan etc) that you have another back up on ehd or equivalent incase your initial back up isn't totally complete. Secondly ensure your computer stays on during the inital back up stage so that the online back up can do its thing......can you tell these two tips/reminders are from my bad experiences.
    7. How to use clipping mask in PSE. Put the photo, paper or paint/whatever on the layer above the mask in the layers panel. Hit control G while you are on that layer and it will clip it to the layer under it.
    8. Clipping Mask PSE 2nd explanation: In PSE 14 and previous Ctrl+G will clip the active layer to the layer beneath it. Beginning in PSE 15 Ctrl+G combines layers together to form a group. To create a clipping mask in PSE 15, activate the layer you want to clip to the layer beneath it, then right click and choose "create clipping mask". Hope this helps.
    9. If you save your PSD/TIFF files, and use a lot of clipped layers (like papers or photos on a template), merging the papers to the layers reduces file size of the save.
      **I use Cntrl+E to merge the clipped layer to the layer below (PSE)
    10. Did you know that you can copy the layer style from one layer and paste it to other layers? No more scrolling through the styles to find that paper or flower layer shadow style. I mostly use this for shadow styles, but it works for other styles too and it works in PSE and CC.
      Just right click on the layer that has the style you want and select copy layer style. Then select the layers you want that style/shadow on and right click and select paste layer style. Wallah, instant shadows!
    11. My favorite photo manipulation tool is "Image > Adjustments > Shadows / Highlights" Then click "Show More Options" to manipulate further. The presets are almost exactly what I need, and I use it on nearly every photo I scrap. It brightens shaded part of the picture without making the whole picture brighter! I use it a lot on our pictures because when we take selfies, almost always one or the other of us is in a shadow!
    12. In PSE, to keep files smaller, save them with a white layer over them and all layers under turned off. (Some designers do this with templates).
    13. When you have many layers, you can group some of them together to keep your layers tidier. When masking with multiple layers, I create a group with all the mask layers inside the main group layer. Highlight all the layers you wish to group together, then press CTRL + G.
    14. When scrapping, I drag all of the papers in a kit into photoshop cs. then I select window > arrange > consolidate all to tabs. Then window arrange tile. Then i take my page and drag it to the front and arrange it. This way I can look at bits of all of the paper while I scrap.
    15. Use one of the resizing actions (eg from Fiddle Dee Dee) to make resizing layouts for the gallery quick and easy.
    16. If you merge your clipped layers and trim your layout you can save file space.
      To trim everything outside the bounds of your layout in PSE, from the menu bar choose Select >All, that will give you marching ants around your layout. Then, choose IMAGE > CROP. Next, ctrl D to deselect and then save as a tiff.
    17. I have started using filters to add texture to my photos to make them look more realistic. It really bothered me that I would add styles to give texture and shadow, but have these photos that just looked too... flat and digital.
      (1) Add film grain (Filters-Artistic-Film Grain). My standard settings is Grain: 2, Highlight Area:0, Intensity:1
      (2) Add texturizer (Filters-Texture-Texturizer). Using the Sandstone texture from the dropdown menu, My standard settings is Scaling: 60% Relief:
    18. 2. You may need to play with the settings based on your photo size and composition. You are going for something subtle, but that adds a little depth.
    19. Color of an item doesn't match your page? Use Hue adjustment to correct colors. Click on the circle in the layer pallet and add a hue adjustment layer. Make sure when the window pops up you select the little box at the bottom to make the hue adjustment layer a clipping mask. Now you can use the default/master specifications, and use the sliders, however I select the color hue I want to change. If the item has a purple color to it and I want to change that to another color, I select the "master" selection and change that to magenta and then use the slider to change the color. if there is another color I want to change I then select that and continue to adjust the other color. By using the clipping mask, it clips only to that item and will only change the color on that item only.
    20. To change the color of an element/brush layer, you can choose a color and brush and then above the layers palette (on the right) click the lock icon which will lock the layer and the colored brushstrokes you apply will only transfer onto the product, not anywhere else. Some layers need to be rasterized before doing this. Right click on your layer and choose "rasterize layer", if greyed out then it doesn't need to be rasterized.
    21. Variation on tip #20. The same thing will work by choosing Control or command and thumbnail of layer in layer pallet.. then whenyour marching ants are active adding s layer in top and painting will only paint or mask or erase etc in the selected area
    22. Foreground/background box, press "x" to toggle the foreground/background back and forth and to return to the default white/black foreground colors, press "d" to return to the default b/w colors.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Mylinn, Iowan and Chippi like this.
  2. bcgal00

Photoshop CC (but also works in earlier versions too).

Here's a quick tip for painting/brushing in paper onto a layer.
    Start with a background paper layer, then select a paper for your second layer which you are going to paint/brush onto your layout.

Press the ALT key while clicking on the mask icon at the bottom right of the layers palette. This will give you a black mask. Make sure you have the white foreground color chosen (bottom left of the tools palette), choose a brush and now you can brush your paper onto your page.

3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I think I need 2 million

I just learned that in CS6 I can edit just parts of a rasterized layer, such as dots, and move them around with out cutting and pasting.

Use the marquee selection tool (square or circle) and select the area you want to move around, then click the Move Tool (arrow) and drag that selection where you want it, then hit CTRL-D to deselect.

So much easier!!!

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

5. spcoggs

spcoggs Well-Known Member

I kissed Bart!

keepscrappin and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Well-Known Member

I like CTL J to duplicate an item in PSE 11. Just learned that literally like a few weeks ago!

keepscrappin and bcgal00 like this.
  7. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

bart has company with him!!!!

8. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

not tip, just reminder - save document often, incase photoshop, just closes itself

9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Add your credits/links to the file info (ctrl+shift+alt+i) in PSE & PSCC and they will stay with the metadata of the layout- when you upload to facebook- it generates them automatically. Also in the file viewer- you can find the credits under 'properties' :)

10. bcgal00

Good morning, everyone! Hope you have a fun-filled day! Here's my tip for today:
    • In Photoshop, you can duplicate a layer (mostly I do this for elements i.e. multiple flowers) by first selecting the move tool (Ctrl + V shortcut), then press and hold ALT key and click on element on your page and drag. It will produce a copy of your element. You can do this repeatedly, as desired.

11. alexus36

alexus36 New Member

HOw do you use the Ctrl G (Mask) function in the lastest PSE version. I had to stop using it b/c I never took time to see how to do it . Blak

12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi Don't Pass the Diet Coke!

Make sure if you are doing online back ups (ie Backblaze & Crashplan etc) that you have another back up on ehd or equivalent incase your initial back up isn't totally complete

Secondly ensure your computer stays on during the inital back up stage so that the online back up can do its thing......can you tell these two tips/reminders are from my bad experiences ;P

bestcee, bcgal00 and keepscrappin like this.
  13. keepscrappin

Put the photo, paper or paint/whatever on the layer above the mask in the layers panel. Hit control G while you are on that layer and it will clip it to the layer under it. Hope that helps.

bcgal00 likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

Sorry you're dealing with this. I really need to make sure my backup is up-to-date. I just use an EHD, but should probably get an off-site one too like Backblaze. I always put my photos and layouts on the free Amazon prime drive, so I know they're all there. Multiple backups are def the way to go.

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i love this trick for moving parts of confetti or paint splatter layers that might cover a bit of my photo or journalling

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  16. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

If you save your PSD/TIFF files, and use a lot of clipped layers (like papers or photos on a template), merging the papers to the layers reduces file size of the save.

**I use Cntrl+E to merge the clipped layer to the layer below (PSE)

LoveItScrapIt and keepscrappin like this.
  17. keepscrappin

Did you know that you can copy the layer style from one layer and paste it to other layers? No more scrolling through the styles to find that paper or flower layer shadow style. I mostly use this for shadow styles, but it works for other styles too and it works in PSE and CC.

Just right click on the layer that has the style you want and select copy layer style. Then select the layers you want that style/shadow on and right click and select paste layer style. Wallah, instant shadows!

LoveItScrapIt and klee73010 like this.
  18. lindar

lindar New Member

In PSE 14 and previous Ctrl+G will clip the active layer to the layer beneath it. Beginning in PSE 15 Ctrl+G combines layers together to form a group. To create a clipping mask in PSE 15, activate the layer you want to clip to the layer beneath it, then right click and choose "create clipping mask". Hope this helps.

19. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

Photoshop CS6, and Photoshop CC (depending on which computer I'm on)

My favorite photo manipulation tool is "Image > Adjustments > Shadows / Highlights" Then click "Show More Options" to manipulate further. The presets are almost exactly what I need, and I use it on nearly every photo I scrap!

keepscrappin and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  20. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah