Cleaning up a hard drive

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 18, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Um, wow! He wins for best present! That's so awesome and thoughtful!

It's possible that happened in the recovery process.

Good luck! I love having the desktop. Except when I'm planning long trips to mom's house and need the laptop.

tkradtke likes this.
  2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

fingers crossed that your backup isn't incurement, where if u delete it, it gone from backup

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL - i hve a lot of folders that are named 'month - dump' as i clear things off camera cards and USBs and such - i don't so much archive as dump; organisation just is so hard to motivate myself to do and hitting 'delete' is even harder

bestcee likes this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is an awesome find - that's the only real reason i love going back through old folders, what a gem and yes, i have to know too - i can't even remember if MSA had a store attached to it

bestcee likes this.
  5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

It was such an amazing gift! I had wanted to have that EHD worked on for years... but my fear that everything was lost held me back. At least with it sitting here in the closet, there was still hope that I would get them back! Crazy logic, but that's how my brain works.

Nice thought... but I'm 99.99999% positive this was user error with my first camera. :-)

I'm thinking that I would like a desktop for my heavy duty scrapping times. My issue with my laptop right now is that I'm maxing it out as far as storage and I hate using an external with it. It's older and has some issues, but I think I can remedy most of that by not having it be my full time computer. If I start babying it a bit, it should last a bit longer and it can be my travel computer.

bestcee likes this.
  6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

You inspired me to go through my oldest scrap folder to see what I could delete. And I have barely deleted anything. I just can't seem to part with any of my scrap supplies. Even if I don't think I'll be using them in the near future. Help! I'm a scrap hoarder!

Tree City likes this.
  7. bestcee

Part of my process every month is to randomly download folders from a few different places on my backup. I check then out, and see that my backup is working. Good thought Cath!

8. bestcee

I don't think it did. I know it had free templates because I collected a bunch from @gonewiththewind there!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  9. bestcee

I totally get that. I'm much better at deleting yesterday and today after seeing how much is in there, than I was on Monday when I started.

10. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I feel excited about doing this now too!
    I also know I'm so not going to do that now, but I might have to make a summer vacation to-do list as I will not be going on vacation this year...

bestcee likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

ALL my Digi supplies and ALL my photos are on one 2T EHD and backed up to a 4T and to Crashplan. They're fine and organized. I think I did this last year when my 3T stopped backing up. I want to check that out again sometime and/or have my dh check it with his computer. I had one EHD go funny with my computer once yet it worked fine on his. Go figure.

What I do want to deal with is my original 'big' 1T - boy remember when that was hot stuff??? - which holds all the old stuff - yearly .psds from PL, albums etc and all the digi classes i've taken over the years etc etc. Now only 250+GB of that drive is filled with all my old archived stuff but what I'd like to do is unplug it after I shift anything I want current access to onto the workhorse 2T. I do have some folders that can ...gasp...be deleted such as .pdf files that I used when I thought I might do hybrid kind of things. Too much of a pain for me...printing, cutting etc etc. But I may give myself a chance to look at those old pretties. I sure wish I could give them to someone as 99.9% of them were freebies. Oh well...

Culling the digi stash? I wonder how much I could trash if I got rid of all the buttons and flowers I'll never use?? I really should put them in an archive type folder, only to be pulled out for challenges!

bestcee likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I hosted a template challenge there for several months. There was a subscription store, but that was it. :)

bestcee likes this.
  13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Do you (as in everyone) save psd/tiff files of pages you made?
    And if so, for how long?

It is such a big chunk of space so I kinda want to get rid of it but I'm a little scared..

14. bestcee

@gonewiththewind has a great story about saving them.
    Me? I save them out of habit currently. I've deleted a bunch once I've printed the book, but overall I end up with them.
    Now the Tiff file on templates I delete. I only keep the PSD and jpeg prev.

gonewiththewind and berniek like this.
  15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

That's what I do also Courtney. I also delete the 'folder' and only save the preview jpeg. TOUs get deleted as well as most .pngs in template folders unless it's a shape I want or an interesting element. btw, years ago I started doing searches for TOU files and deleted hundreds! thousands?

bestcee and berniek like this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Maureen @cookingmylife I have a TOU folder. I put one copy of a designer's TOU in it and I rename the file Designer Name so I can find it easily if needes. (Since I don't scrap for hire it doesn't really matter anyway, but at least I have the info.) Anyway, that really does save space. Those little files all add up!

berniek likes this.
  17. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i feel your pain. no advice but i feel your pain

18. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I've been organizing (while trying to recover lost files) since last summer. It's getting better but there are still a lot of missing files that I will never get back, duplicate files, and, yes Maureen, lots of button, flairs, and flowers! The good thing about having to organize everything is that I "find" some pretty awesome stuff that I forgot I had! Good luck to everyone one with whatever their organizing goals are!

bestcee likes this.
  19. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

This is sooo romantic!!! Lucky you!

20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Are you talking about me using the PSD files as quick pages for an easy memory album/slide show for my Aunt Dolly? @bestcee

bestcee likes this.