Christmas Presents

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, Nov 12, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't even want to think about Christmas.
    The moms are almost as impossible as my dad to buy for! I'm thinking those Shutterfly magnets maybe?

I know my niece is turning 10 and wants books. We did random art supplies for the other neices when they were 10-13. We found a fun book about concoctions you can make (like the current slime fad) and got them the book plus ingredients to make the items.

2. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

They might not be old enough to understand the coolness of this gift, but I think if you got one of those books about yourself and answered questions about your childhood or things you remember about your parents, etc, that it makes an amazing gift! Even if you use it as a start for scrapbook pages about yourself, and then print 2 copies of a special "All About Grandma" book for them!!

Or, on a similar vein, you can start a book of questions that you pass back and forth between you, where you ask them a question, they write in the answer and then ask you a question. At the beginning, it's easy to fall into the "what's your favorite ____ and why?" type questions, with just one sentence answers. But, as you go, you get inspired with the learning about each other and the building of a beautiful relationship through the book you each write and/or draw in!!

I also agree very much with tickets to something or classes to learn something awesome!! :D

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I've got a DD around those ages. She got Clumsy Thief when she was 9. She still loves the game! There's also Dimension, a marble-building game that was mentioned on this site, actually! (You can find both on Amazon.) And I agree with the craft ideas. DD used a Barnes and Noble gift card to get a metal stamp set. She thinks it's so cool! DD is also into painting--like any kind of painting. Watercolor, acrylic, whatever...she's just happy to have access to paint lol.

IDK what your dollar amount is, but you could get a gift for an experience instead of a toy. It could be simple, like movie gift certificates--or make a Movie Coupon that says something like "This ticket is good one movie of Granddaughter's Choice with Grandma. Popcorn included!" It could be bigger, like tickets to a concert or show. Or is there a trampoline park?

bestcee likes this.
  4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I finally did get some ideas from the 10 yr old and she wants some sprockets things that are like magnets and you build with them. Unfortunately I think Grandma has overdid in the past and she has so much that it is hard to buy for her now.

The older is the really artsy one and I found an awesome deal on Prism Pencils so I got those and a bag to put the pencils in along with a few other "crafty" items.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  5. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I have 10 & 12 year old daughters. The 12 year-old is getting a cell phone. We were going to make her wait until she was 13, but we're finding that she's got a lot more going on this year, and we need to be in contact with her more often. No idea what we're going to give the 10 year-old so she doesn't flip when she sees her sister open up a iPhone on the first night of Chanukah. (It's my old iPhone, but still)

Gift ideas for 10-12 year old girls:
    - A decent portable speaker to connect to whatever device she listens to music on.
    - An outing. Museum passes, movie passes, theatre tickets. Sports games. And yes, they want you to go with them.
    - Nail polish and those little folding manicure sets. It's makeup, but not "makeup" if you know what I mean.
    - Nice, smelly personal care products. They flippin' LOVE Bath & Body Works. But I can't stand within 10 feet of any of their products. I buy stuff from natural soap makers like Rocky Mountain Soap Company, and Lush.
    - Books. Tell me more about your particular kids, and I can guarantee we can come up with 5 book recommendations per kid.
    - Mermaid tale blankets. Reading socks (super thick slipper socks with a fuzzy linging). Bath robes, slippers. Onesie pyjamas.
    - Pay for their March Break camp, or give them a week at a special Summer Day Camp that relates to their interests. (Or, wrap this up as a present to their parents).

enjoyyourpix likes this.