Christmas Decorations

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

In my world, this is not a Christmas song - it's totally appropriate all year long! I love that you enjoy it starting in November. I've often wondered about why certain songs are regulated to December only.
    Let It Snow? That could be all winter.
    Joy to the World? All year.
    Now, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"? Some stores could start playing that in September!

My mom likes to listen to Christmas music year round too @Jan . I love the instrumentals when I'm studying. They are pretty.

bbymks5 likes this.
  2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

@honeyandcheese YAS!!! I agree LOL! If I remember correctly I busted out the Halloween/Fall decorations towards the end of August because I'm :crazy3:giggle it could have been beginning of September, I just don't remember LOL!

@honeyandcheese @Jan @bestcee I totally listen to Christmas music through out the year! The songs just make me SO happy!!!

bestcee likes this.
  3. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

We don't decorate till mid-December...but it's usually HOT here and as we get a real tree, it wouldn't last through till Christmas if we did it any earlier.

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  4. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

This is a funny thread. Me, I'd have Christmas decorations up all year. I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! But space wise, we don't have enough room in our house to have Christmas stuff up all the time.

[​IMG]

Also, I found out this year my sister is a big time grinch when it comes to people putting up any decorations (or stores having them in October... oh my) before December... And she lives with me... so to keep the peace, I am holding off... sort of...

[​IMG]

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My daughter and I agreed that we will start putting things up next Tuesday, if she helps me.

6. bbymks5

@Meredith78 I love live trees! I so wish there was something that could be done to get them to last longer though :(

@Chippi You have more self-control than I do LOL!! When someone tells me I can't/shouldn't it makes me want to do it that much more!! Part of the reason my stuff is up already, hubby told the girls and I we shouldn't do it yet :giggle

@BevG YAY!!! It's beginning to look at lot like Christmas LOL!!

Chippi and Meredith78 like this.
  7. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Haha!!! That is so funny!!! The temptation is there, oh boy, but my sister is like a 22-year-old teenager. So moody and so whiny, so it is less self-control and more self-preservation, lol!! Preserving my ears for Christmas music!
    Actually.. I might start when she goes out for an hour on Thursday. Put some tinsel on her sewing machine, Christmas up the Grinch a little.
    :giggle :giggle :giggle

[​IMG]

I am so jealous of you all to be able to have real trees. It is not the easiest thing to source a real Christmas Tree here in Australia, so we just stick to the plastic ones. It is a blessing in disguise (a disguise of total suckiness) for me though, my parents-in-law actually did get a real one one year, but all their complaining about how messy the tree was (neat-as-a-pin people) really put a downer on the day, AND it turns out that real trees make me SNEEZE like crazy!!!

8. BevG

Oh me too! Growing up in the Midwest, we had Douglas pines and they never bothered me. Here in the South, it is all Fraiser firs. I didn't know I was allergic until we got one one year. We were gone traveling for a week and when I came back I could not be in the same room with it. Hubby had to take it down and throw it outside. Really strong pine candles make me react too. So fake trees for me. We do put up 2 of them. One for me and one for the kids - different decorating styles.

Chippi likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Belated info for @bbymks5 (Now you'll be totally up on Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Night) When we lived in England, children (usually boys!) would come round the houses begging for coins 'A penny for the Guy' so they could buy wood for the bonfire or just some food to eat or something to drink, depending on their age. I wonder if this is still a custom out in the country areas where open fires are still allowed.

The Fifth of November

Remember, remember!
    The fifth of November,
    The Gunpowder treason and plot;
    I know of no reason
    Why the Gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot!
    Guy Fawkes and his companions
    Did the scheme contrive,
    To blow the King and Parliament
    All up alive.
    Threescore barrels, laid below,
    To prove old England's overthrow.
    But, by God's providence, him they catch,
    With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
    A stick and a stake
    For King James's sake!
    If you won't give me one,
    I'll take two,
    The better for me,
    And the worse for you.
    A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
    A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
    A pint of beer to wash it down,
    And a jolly good fire to burn him.
    Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
    Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
    Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. bbymks5

ROFL!!! This made me laugh so hard I scared my cat :giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle:giggle

That is really cool!! I hope it's a tradition that is still carried out, it's little things like that, that end up being the best of memories!

Chippi likes this.
  11. BevG

Got the icicle lights up on the house today and dd toted down most of the decoration boxes. She also put the wreath on the door (it is an artificial one so it was ready to go). We will probably work on it more tomorrow.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am not an early decorator at all. Mostly because I'm lazy, but also because in college i lived with my sister and my friend who were both obsessed with Christmas and wanted to start decorating in about October. :giggle I made them wait until after Thanksgiving and they would whine and complain (in fun) until they were allowed to decorate and then they'd puke Christmas over every surface in our apartment. Lol!

Now we go get our tree the Sunday after Thanksgiving usually and then it's about a week long (at least) process for us to find time to decorate the tree and disperse our decoration through the house. Both my boys play basketball and we usually have games every night of the week during that time.

13. BevG

Okay Mission accomplished ---> 20171115_154711.jpg 20171115_154814.jpg
    Shark paper next to the sea lion paper.

The red one barely in the bottom pic on the left is a dog paper. Or are that a llama in a sweater?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.
  14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@BevG so fun! I was at Target today and totally forgot to look. While I don't need more wrapping paper, I also feel like those sloths speak to me lol! :)

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Um, @BevG I'm blaming you for my new Christmas wrapping paper obsession! That is totally a llama!
    But sea lions, sharks and sloths? I need a Target run!

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh wow, I was just at Target for a quick trip but did not go near the Christmas stuff! :( wish I read this thread! I love the wrapping paper @BevG what a great find! And yeah ... I'm with Courtney - that looks like a llama to me!

17. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

l.jpg
    Woodland.jpg

Wellllll, I have to admit we have our two trees up already. We have 2 artificial trees one pre-light and one without. The one with lights will not get decorated until after Thanksgiving, I just love the way it looks with the lights. Our other smaller tree that does not have lights is my Woodland theme tree and does already have an Owl and an Cardinal on it, as you notice, I still need the tree skirt on this one. Keeping it simple until after we have our Thanksgiving meal. LOL

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Isa Marks, BevG and AnneofAlamo like this.
  18. Sokee

I love visiting the whole tree farms and cutting down our own trees.............. BUT yes My hubby has allergies to some, we stuck it out until I had a tree one year that started to drip sap down on my floors! That was such a pain to clean up!

19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh Barbara @Sokee your house is so crisp and happy feeling! I too love multiple trees. It is hot hot hot here (unseasonably) and putting up trees in heat, just ain't gonna happen.
    I am a bit of a grinchy. lol We will probably put the trees up 10 days before Christmas...oh looky, looky, Christmas is on a Monday...Tuesday, it will come down!

20. Sokee