Chat Notes from Keeping Up Momentum after MOC (1 Feb 2018)

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by bellbird, Feb 1, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So the start of the year with MOC can feel a bit like this:
    Building-Momentum.jpg

But once that ball is rolling and it feels good, there are ways to keep it rolling if you want to (and taking a break or slowing down is fine too especially if you find you are physically doing damage *cough, cough - RSI, carpal tunnel, sciatica...* but for today we are going to chat about Keeping Up Momentum after MOC and to some extent, lessening withdrawal from MOC!

So whether you have finished MOC or not (and I'm in the not group as i type!), well as Lincoln Patz says “The amount of effort needed at the start pales in comparison to what your momentum can ultimately produce in the end.” (No, i don't know who that is but i liked the quote!)

It is so wonderful to see the gallery fill up at the start of the year and seeing everyone be productive and experimenting and stretching themselves! MOC can be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster but looking back through your pages after MOC to reflect a bit first can help you maintain the momentum, because momentum, to me, is easier when you know your scrappy self and also where to get scrappy help or ideas from:

'What do I reflect on?'
    We've done this a bit in the forums already but I would suggest :
    think about what you liked most - was it the daily scrapping? was it the challenges themselves? was it a particular challenge? was it discovering a particular 'new to you' designer?
    think about your favourite page or page per week, like Courtney asked about in the forum and think about why it was your favourite - was it a new style for you or a style you have grown comfortable with? was it good to get the story out of your head or your heart, even if it was painful at the time? was it just really easy to make because you used a template or went freestyle for a change? was it just creative and fun!
    These answers will all give you some direction, even if it is just narrowing things down.
    (this is courtney's 1st faves thread: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/favorite-week-1-layout-day-1-7.52142/)

For me, I like scrapping daily in the short term and I am competitive (so even if it kills my mouse hand for a few days, I'll get my one more page done), but in reality I can't do that long term, but I have had breaks before that were longer and it's hard for me to find my groove again. So I set myself a basic goal of around 20 pages per month and to do what challenges appeal to me as part of aiming for that. I know some people number their files as they create their pages to track their progress but sometimes mine get muddled so I start a pin board on pinterest every year and just pin everything i make and it tells me how many pins i have on that years pinboard.

Everyone's goal will be different and the path and tools to get there are from your answers in the second point above.

Judy - bonnenuit's thread about What I Learnt in MOC is a good read too because if you aren't sure how to answer some of these questions for yourself yet, seeing what others wrote might help you realise "oh yeah! i *did* feel like 150 words was no problem even though i was worried when i saw that requirement because I thought I was not a good journaller!"
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/what-i-learned-by-doing-moc-6.52671/

So here are some ideas for those that:
    • Want to scrap daily , like just being challenged as a way of kickstarting your page and like particular designers:
    -part of the challenge here is finding time, Aaron has some blog posts on this specific topic that might help
    https://the-lilypad.com/making-time-scrapping/
    https://the-lilypad.com/finding-time-for-scrapbooking/
    -try Project Life or Planner-ing so that you can do small amounts daily and it still contributes to something big and meaningful
    https://the-lilypad.com/preparing-for-success-with-pocket-page-scrapbooking/
    https://the-lilypad.com/finding-balance-in-my-creative-outlet/
    - probably the most obvious is the Challenge Pad with Monthly Challenges here at TLP that have their own incentive if you complete some or all of them each month - Feb is up (and you're probably half way through them already!) You can always look through previous monthly challenges for ideas and inspiration
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/forum/challenge-pad.61/
    -signing up for particular designers newsletters or facebook groups if they have one and checking out their designer challenges that often have a chance at a prize or freebies for participants. They also are often changed or held on a reglar cycle so you can add them to your list of challenges to do each month. Most months, I start with Scrapping With Liz's template (Make It Scrappy) challenge - it's the first weekend of the month and i know in advance to block time in for that!
    -check out Kim's calendar at the start of each month for upcoming slow and speed scraps and add them to your 'to-do' list for the month (and earn a coupon for the store by following the steps the challenge host). It does get updated thru the month sometimes.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/february-2018-chats-and-scraps.52749/
    ( If I can't make a speed scrap, I sometimes use the steps with a different challenge that works with it, because sometimes I work better with that than freestyle (I know about myself that blank pages overwhelm me so I either start with a template or a photo or something on the page but somehow when the steps are provided it channels my focus).

• Like trying new page styles or are comfortable with their current style
    - challenges are great for showing us and getting us to try new styles, from clean and simple, to filled; graphic and art journalling. The AJ Pad has regular challenges for everyone to participate in
    - looking at the gallery regularly or scrap magazines/newsletters and seeing what others make that you are drawn to can help inspire you. There's also the Why It Works threads which highlights elements of pleasing page design i think of @KarenB when i think of scrappers that 'seem', to me anyway, comfortable in their style and make it work no matter what. This can take some of the thinking out of the process and speed up productivity, for me anyway - for instance, over the years, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer plain default white backgrounds on my Pocket Pages, so it cuts out the 'what colour/which paper?" rut I can get stuck in and helps me keep up momentum on those pages.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/why-it-works-polly-challenges.49658/
    - want even more challenges? Courtney reminded me there's Memory Motivators https://the-lilypad.com/forum/forum/memory-motivators.412/
    - Jan (intensemagic ) also reminded me that Anne has a great list of tutes for those wanting to try techniques out https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/alphabetical-listing-of-tutorials.48074/

• liked getting the story out, even if it was painful at the time
    - keep a list of stories you want to tell and when you have time, type them or bits of them, just in Word or Notepad etc, so that the page is slowly built, or rip off the bandaid quickly by typing it all at once, as we all deal with these things differently; And then copy and paste the story when you ultimately create the page
    • are template or freestyle scrappers; or are in it for the creativity and fun!
    - again those ArtJournal girls know all about creativity so be sure to check out their Pad and previous and current prompts. See Anne's new ad here https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/february-fun-challenge-for-u-with-anne.52707/
    -Nothing starts me 'playing' faster than a new kit! Go through your stash, pull out a template or any piece that sparks your mojo and start throwing things on (because you can always 'undo'!); Find a neglected kit on your harddrive or an element or paper you have never used or that you absolutely love to bits (because our kits are recyclable!) and start there!

Final thought:
    “When you focus your attention on your intention you gain momentum.” ~David Shoup
    - do you want to get the stories told? photo album done? focus on that and find the easiest way for you to do that (be it templates, clean white backgrounds etc) and momentum will take care of itself! (Again, I don't know the guy but sounds good to me!)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Danyale, bonnenuit, Chippi and 7 others like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you again Justine for an awesome chat and thank you and Sara Gleason too! It was great sharing all the ideas to keep momentum going after the MOC!! Great note! Thank you again for hosting! I had fun!

bellbird likes this.
  3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Sorry I missed the chat but I do not have computer access all day on Fridays as I do volunteer work at a community facility where there are photocopier, computers, fax for public use at a small fee. I am allowed to use the computers when there is no one else using them.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Sorry I had to leave the chat early. Thanks for the recap!

bellbird likes this.
  5. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

Thanks for this i had to go to literacy night at my sons school, i figured his education was more important that mine ;)

cfile, bellbird and bestcee like this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Thanks for the pretty notes and all the links to click through on.
    So much more in depth than I could have hoped for.
    Now to carve out the time to read all of that and internalize it.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Thanks for sharing! I had school myself, so I'm glad to catch up here!

cfile and bellbird like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So I should say that there were lots of good ideas thrown around and i think most of them are covered in those sub-headings but if i missed anything, let me know!

cfile likes this.
  9. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

THANK YOU for the notes! I love the idea of the Pinterest board per year... I just have one really huge gallery board, but perhaps I will add another board that's just 2018, or each month or whatever.

I tend to mix and match some of what you've stated. I find I work well with lists... lists of stories to tell, lists of challenges to do, lists of lists to make, etc. :giggle so I do go through my "stories to tell" list and pick and choose what inspires me at the time, and fits with a challenge or a CT layout. That generally keeps me in line. When I feel stuck, or bored, I want to head to the gallery first, and then trying something new. I think that's going to be my plan of action for the year. We'll see how far that gets me. I have "hefty goals" this year I suppose... finishing up several albums and projects. I am super glad that we, as memory keepers, rarely run of of stories to tell. Always something more I can scrap!

MrsGaramer and bellbird like this.
  10. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

This is a great post! I wasn't able to make it to the chat and have been wondering what to start on next.

bellbird likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You add sub boards now! So you could add a 2018 sub board?

bellbird likes this.
  12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Thanks for the chat notes! It will be a great resource to refer back to.

bellbird likes this.