August 2018 Book Club - The Great Alone

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Karen

Karen My Christmas Wish came TRUE!

The votes are in and we have our next batch of books for 2018! Woo-hoo! :) Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (May-August) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for August 2018 is The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

2. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Just finished - LOVED!

Karen likes this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I was just coming on here to tell you all to read this book. Just read it AND LOVED IT!!!

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen My Christmas Wish came TRUE!

Yay! I'm glad you loved it! I've heard nothing but good reviews on this one and can't wait for it to be my turn at the library! :)

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just finished this one last night- like could NOT stop reading & ended up going to bed WAY too late & woke up with puffy eyes from balling at the end. It was a GREAT book! Rest of my opinions in white:

I LOVE how Leni felt she had to tell her story about what really happened with her dad. I'm glad that she had friends in high places & didn't have to go to jail, but I felt telling the truth just really was 'her character' I also had a suspicion that Matthew would be better & was actually happy that he wasn't 'back to his old self!' I'm happy that the author went with a more authentic happily ever after than a fairytale like ending. :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. umyesh

umyesh Swooning for warm bread & butter

I had to read this fast because I forgot it was due back to my library :-/ it was a good read but it drained me emotionally. I need a light read next.

bellbird and amien1 like this.
  7. MrsEm

MrsEm Active Member

I normally avoid contemporary fiction because it's too real for me but I'm picking this up just for TLP. I don't want to cry though, I'm an ugly crier.

bellbird, umyesh and amien1 like this.
  8. umyesh

umyesh Swooning for warm bread & butter

I cried multiple times but I'm a big baby.

bellbird likes this.
  9. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Kristin Hannah is my favorite author, at least currently :) The Nightingale is one of my top 10 of all time so I was super excited when this one came out. I purchased it the day it came out and promptly finished it within a few days (I wasn't working at the time it came out). My thoughts: I loved this story, even though it dealt with some tough topics. The book engulfed me with a range of emotions, from excitement to frustration to satisfaction with the way it all ended. I couldn't put it down!

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Started this last week - only a few months late - i'm already in awe of anyone that lives in Alaska!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

( these poor people! - i'm abut 80% thru and really hope this has a happy ending! )

amien1 likes this.
  12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Right!? I have a whole new respect for the Bush ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    bellbird likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh man! Are all Kristin Hannah's books like this? (white) I'm feeling worn out and really i haven't done anything! I had to stop a few times just to breathe - i'm confused though - didn't matthew appear in the park when she was there on a picnic before she went back to alaska? maybe i didn't understand that part right ??
    (And LOL i thought this was the April book and i was late to the party - now i'm feeling a bit ahead of the game for August even if i haven't read June's yet!)

MrsEm likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife I am anything but low budget. You can't afford me

I may pass on this one because having been to Alaska it's sure not my favorite place. I would never have made it as a homesteader/pioneer etc. I get it but it just depresses me to read stories about that kind of life.