Art Journal/Collage Challenge

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by sbpoet, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

CTchallenge-0916-1.jpg
    Art Journal / Collage Challenge
    deadline: October 21st

This challenge is an art journaling/collage prompt in steps:

1. You will not be using photos for this challenge.

2. Locate the images on your computer that are from Lilypad designers. Why Lilypad? Because that is where we are! This step, depending on how your files are organized, will be either the least or most difficult step of this challenge.

3. Are you new to The Lilypad? Are you a bit short of images from Lilypad designers? Check the Freebies section of the shop. Also click the names of your favorite designers; each designer page will have links to their blogs, Facebook pages, and/or newsletters. Most offer freebies through those links. Go for it!

4. Make a new folder. Let’s call it . . . Intuition.

5. Now set aside a bit of time, ½ hour at least, to just sit and cruise through those images. You are going to select only the images that speak to you today, at this moment, and copy* them into your new Intuition folder. No templates and no word art. Just images.

6. Don’t forget brushes, paint, splatters, masks, graffiti, & other abstractions.

7. Do not think about what you will make. Do not muse on themes or colors or what will or won’t go together. Don’t select from only one or two kits. Just follow your heart and choose those images that whisper to it.

8. When you have nice plump Intuition folder – maybe 50 or more images, from at least five different designers – walk away for a bit. Have some coffee. Take a nap. Added to clarify: you will not use all of these images on your page. You only want a big field to choose from.

9. Come back!

10. Open a new page. It can be an 8 ½ by 11, an 11 by 8 ½, or a 12 by 12. Not smaller, though.

11. Now just start playing. Put some images on the page. Alter and recolor and blend to your heart’s content.

12. Again, don’t plan ahead. Just choose some things you like and move them around a bit. That page is going to begin to make itself. Just wait and see! Be patient. Follow where it leads. Save, save, save!

13. At some point you will begin to feel that it’s done, or nearly. Save it. Take another break.

14. Come back.

15. Do you feel it still needs something? Choose something else from your Intuition folder, or, at this point (you’ve probably met the 75% requirement of Lilypad images to post here by now) you can look elsewhere in your files for just what you need.

16. Or maybe there’s too much on the page? Take something out.

17. Maybe now you really, really want words. OK, then. Add them. But only if you think it needs it.

18. Save!

19. Pat yourself on the back. You have made something new, something fresh, something original. Something that is just yours.

20. Post it in the Mixed Media Monthly Gallery and in this thread by October 21st so we can pat you on the back, too.

21. One winner, randomly chosen, will win a $5 gift certificate to the M3 Shop.

*Why copy rather than move? Because if you move, you’ll have to move them all back when the project is done. This can be a chore. If you just copy, then you can merely delete the folder, or save it, if you like, for future inspiration.

*************** :heartlub :heartlub :heartlub ***************​

Below is my first page, made according to this prompt. My Intuition folder had about 120 items in it. I had no idea I would end up with a black & white image:

sbpoet_myAJPrompt)LilypadSept16_WEB_600.jpg
    INTUITION IN BLACK & WHITE
    For my own Art Journal/Collage challenge at The Lilypad. Elements are from Just Jamie (M3April); Little Butterfly Wings (M3Feb15 - recolored); Michelle Godin (Build Your Wings); Alison Pennington (Bite Me & Twisted); Amy Wolff (Circles); Kim Jensen (Rubdowns); Lynne-Marie (M3May16 Add-On & Unwritten - recolored); Nanci Rowe Janitz (M3May16 Add-On - recolored & M3Jan - recolored).

And here is another:

sbpoet_intuition2_WEB_600.jpg
    INTUITION 2: Another day, a different mood

For my own M3 Art Journal/Collage challenge at The Lilypad. Elements are from Little Butterfly Wings (M3Jan16, M3Aug16); Lynne-Marie (M3July16, Sketchbook12, M3May16, Sketchbook10, M3Aug16, M3Sept16, M3Aug14, FirmFoundations); Nanci Rowe Janitz (MyBirthdayCup, Thrive, M3May16 Add-On); Paula Kesselring (M3June); Quirky Heart (M3Aug14-She); and Sissy Sparrows (M3April).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. beszteri

beszteri CT - Lynne-Marie

What a great challenge, and your pages are gorgeous!

3. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

this is gonna be my me time this weekend...if I have to get up in the middle of the night..love the originality of the challenge, thank you Sharon!

5. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

15 designers, think only 23 piecs, should i redo?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    sbpoet and Ga_L like this.
  6. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

amazing challenge

7. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

@Cath_, Ha! Only 15 designers? My, my. Of course you should not redo! Unless you want to do another, just for fun. I love this one, it exudes happiness.

Just out of curiosity, I opened my "Intuition in Black & White" in Photoshop to count the elements. My folder had 120 choices, but I used only 12 elements in the piece. The idea is to have lots to choose from, but you still might end up with a minimalist page!

Dalis and Cath_ like this.
  8. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

ohh fun - but all my TLP folders are zipped because I had to reset my computer - hmm, lets go see what I can do!

9. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Great challenge, Sharon!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love the pages too!

10. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

cool. go with it. Ill be back
    A bit hard. Hope this is OK. Everyone inspires me, but I fit 13 fabulous designers into my page.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Lynne-Marie likes this.
  11. suruha

suruha Member

So, if I understand you, images are any of the elements and such from kits by the LilyPad designers?
    Sounds fun! Time to get all artsy-feeling! LOL

12. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Beautiful Cath And look at the happy face. Love it.
    I think you just read Step #8 fast and got it confused. It was have about 50 images in your folder but you didn't have to use them all -- and 5 designers. So you got it -- so many steps I haven't tried yet.

Cath_ likes this.
  13. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I've tried something
    [​IMG]
    I've added a title and the date, I can't make a page without these 2 things. I will say that it's Something that is just mine ;-)

wvsandy, rarou47 and Lynne-Marie like this.
  14. rarou47

rarou47 Well-Known Member

Amazing challenge Sharon. I'm going to try to experiment folder. Such a great idea.

15. rarou47

rarou47 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Designers: Paula Kesselring, Nancy rowe-Janitz, Lynne-Marie, LBW, Sissy Sparrows, Just Jaimee. Most kits from the M3 kits

Lynne-Marie likes this.
  16. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

I'm loving these! Keep them coming!

17. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Fun challenge! Here's one from me:

[​IMG]

Lynne-Marie likes this.
  18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Well, I was up at 4 a.m. today, couldn't sleep. I started doing this exercise, copying lots of files to my "Favorites" folder. Then I started pulling in elements, etc. onto the page. I should be done with it this evening after work. I think I just have to record the credits. It was fun, but usually when I do a layout, it isn't common for me to stick with one kit anyway, I love to pick and choose. No background paper, just paints and elements and fun. :-)

19. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Oops is this a M3 specific challenge? doesn't seem like it. Well I used usual kits and some art media kits.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  20. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.