April 2018 Book Club - Britt Marie Was Here

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is a really interesting observation! I didn't make that connection, but you're right!

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  2. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Makes me wonder what the other book I know he has is like

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Karen

My real life book club is doing Bear Town next month and it seems like it's really similar to Britt Marie... except with a man and a hockey team instead of soccer... I'm interested to see what similarities there actually are once I read it.

4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I intended to start this at the beginning of March when I finished March's selection, but I ended up waiting. I'll start it in the next few days. I'm glad to see that you guys liked it. I've loved everything we've read so far this year. My IRL book club is reading Deep Down Dark for April (about the 33 trapped miners), but I think I'm going to read Britt-Marie first.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  5. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I hope it's not too late to get started! I am going to download this one now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Karen and bellbird like this.
  6. Karen

It's never too late to get started! That's why this book club is so awesome! You can read the books when you get time and the thread is always here waiting for you if you want to talk about it afterwards! :) Hope you like the book! :)

umyesh and londoncuppa like this.
  7. londoncuppa

I finished this one the day after I started it. Couldn’t put it down. Really enjoyed it, which I didn’t think I would because normally I don’t like anything “cringy,” and Britt-Marie is so clueless that it made me cringe. Great read, though. There hasn’t been a bad selection so far this year!

bellbird and Karen like this.
  8. londoncuppa

Never read that one, but I may do that. Which book do you prefer?

9. tinkerbell1112

I liked Britt Marie Was Here more.

10. Karen

Me too, BUT I watched the move of A Man Called Ove with subtitles and it made me like it more.

11. tinkerbell1112

Maybe I'll need to check it out

Karen likes this.
  12. tinkerbell1112

I read the book via audio. I might have missed it... Does the book refer to where this story takes place?

13. Karen

The town was called Borg.... I looked that up and there's a Borg in Norway. The author is from Sweden, so it could be there too. But regardless it's somewhere in that region for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg,_Vestvågøy

14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm #2 on the list for this one...somehow I forgot all about it in the late winter. Now's as good a good time as any!

Karen likes this.
  15. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Okay... so I've been a terrible reader over the past year or so. I didn't finish my Goodreads challenge last year and didn't even set a goal for this year. BUT... lately, I have felt compelled to start reading again and today I went to the library to replace my lost library card (and by lost, I would say I last saw it maybe three years ago). I decided to look at the actual, real books and realized that I hadn't been in the "grown-up" section of our library in forever (if ever!). Anyway... I was wandering aimlessly through the aisles and decided to look here to see what books you guys have been reading. When I looked up from my phone... there was this book... out of place, lying sideways on the top of a row of books. It was meant to be :-) So here I am, with last month's book... but I'm here! :happydance2

16. Karen

Yay! I love that story! I kinda hope you took a picture of that book laying there calling your name. Hope you like it too!

tkradtke likes this.
  17. tkradtke

Sadly, I did not take a photo of the book. I did take photos in the library though! And so far, so good on the book!

Karen likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

Yay, it's ready for pickup on Monday. Sadly our interim library is closed weekends. :overreact

Karen likes this.
  19. tkradtke

Done! Here are my thoughts: I loved a Man Called Ove. I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Ove (and Ove may be partially because I loved the movie as well). My problem with this book is that the end felt "messy" to me. Kent bugged me and so did the way she felt about him. Like her resignation to just go back with him... I wanted her to at least get mad at him, not just dutifully go back to the life they had before. I think I just wanted a more distinct ending... like she decisively stayed, or she truly hashed it out with Kent and the decided to work things out. It just felt a bit muddled at the end... but maybe that's just me.

busywoman139 likes this.
  20. cookingmylife

LOL Tracie. These people are Scandinavians remember! Britt-Marie had a lot of conditioning to overcome. But remember (highlighted text) she does go off to Paris! and she has stood up to Kent in several ways before the ending. The older you get the harder the change can be and she did love him despite his endless browbeating that she accepted.

Meant to add that I really liked it once I got over my annoyance with Britt-Marie in the beginning. The author certainly does a good job with difficult characters! I loved the interaction with the various children and how things got done with the help of the various adults.

busywoman139 likes this.