Anyone on goodreads?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bcgal00, Oct 16, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

For the first time, I am doing the 2017 book challenge (at the beginning of the year you set your goal of how many books you hope to read). I've surpassed my goal and have to say that this book club has a lot to do with it. There have been a ton of books that I probably wouldn't have given a second look at had it not been for the book club and reviews from everyone.

So, I'm really happy to have this forum at TLP. Looking foward to seeing what recommendations come for the new year. Here's my GR books so far this year. What about you? Are you doing the challenge at GR?
    2017books.JPG

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

That's awesome Rae! So fun to see all the books you read this year in one shot. Would make a great scrapbook page.

I've done it in years past - but since becoming a student again, I've lost my desire to read for fun. My head is always buried in a textbook these days. I can't wait until I have the urge to read again. I'm on goodreads but haven't updated it for quite awhile.

3. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I haven't done this, but posting here so I can reference this again for a New Year challenge maybe!

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have never really been on goodreads. I should once the year starts... I read so many books, and this would be a great way to see the amount, and to remember if I read something by searching rather than reading the synopsis or the beginning of chapter 1. I think I have read more since May than ever. Close to 60 books or so! Plus, just finished a 19 book series... lol!

bestcee and EHStudios like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm glad I"m not the only one who forgets what I've read. That is my favorite thing about goodreads! Keeping track of what I read! lol

jk703 likes this.
  6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I'm on Goodreads but mainly to track what I read since I always forget which books I've read in various series! i Haven't done a Goodreads challenge but I have challenged myself this year to spend more time reading and less on social media. I've been doing pretty well and enjoying clearing out my bookshelves a bit.

LoveItScrapIt and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I've been on Goodreads for some years now. It really helps me to remember which books I've read and how far along I am in a series. I try to do the annual reading challenge and some of the other challenges in the group "Nothing but Reading Challenges". I'm currently 3 books behind on my goal for this year which is 75 books but I have three on the go.
    Goodreads2017.JPG now!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    bestcee likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am! I love Goodreads! I don't even know how to pick out what to read next without the ratings on Goodreads and I too use it to remember if I've already read a book or not and then to remember what the book was even about! lol! Here's mine so far (although I have to figure out why one book in on there twice...)

Books So Far.png

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've been a member of Goodreads for many years, but only just started using it regularly last year. I set modest goals. Last year was just 13. Since I met that mid-year, this year I upped it to 17. I don't remember picking that number; I guess I was thinking of the year. :giggle

@jenn mccabe I have made scrapbook pages with Goodreads screen shots. :) Like this one, although this just has the book covers. I know I've made screen shots of my Goodreads last year and pretty sure I included them in another layout as well.
    [​IMG]

Here's my current status on Goodreads, except it doesn't have my most recently finished book, the fourth Percy Jackson book, Battle of the Labyrinth. I hesitate to really count the Percy Jackson books as serious reads, since they're easy reading at middle school level. However, it takes me longer to read them because though I admit Rick Riordan is a fabulous author and the stories are engaging, they're not my genre of interest. I'm reading them at the insistence of my 13 year old daughter.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 9.00.00 AM.png

I agree the TLP book club is very helpful in encouraging my reading. You can see many of the TLP book club selections in my collection. :)

Jenn @jk703 what series has 19 books?!!!

@Karen didn't you say in the chat last night you didn't care for the Harry Potter books? I see Cursed Child in your collection. How did you like that one? It's the only JK Rowling book I have yet to read.

Hmmm. Strange. I just noticed (after seeing it on Karen's list) that I didn't include Red Rising on my list. And then I saw it's not on my scrapbook page either. But I've found it on the list of ALL my books at Goodreads. I read it in between making that scrapbook page and beginning this year! I didn't read the whole series though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    dawnmarch likes this.
  10. jk703

lol! I read for fun, so most of my books aren't over the top thinker books. There are a bunch of series that have many books... I was working through a paranormal/mystery series with the character Mary O'Reilly, by Terri Reid. She also has a couple other series started with Mary's brothers, and friends, which I enjoyed as well. I love books that give me more to the characters and the family/story line after the story is over.

Other series that I enjoyed this year were the Jack Stratton character mystery series, Shelby Nichols character series, author Melinda Leigh (not all a series, but same characters throughout the books, so you can "visit" again with them) and the Jinx Hamilton character series. In the past, I've enjoyed the Stephanie Plum character series (though I haven't read past 17), Eve Dallas character series, The Cat Who... series, and so many more.

@michelepixels

michelepixels likes this.
  11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Yes, this is me too. Which is why Goodreads is so helpful for my aging brain! :D

Karen and jk703 like this.
  12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I signed up on a recommendation from a friend, but that's where it stopped. I really don't read much these days (I'd rather scrap!). But this is good to see!

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I didn't hate Harry Potter, I just didn't love them either. I found them repetitive from book to book. I really love the movies though and therefore I did enjoy the Cursed Child. I thought it would be weird to read a book in play format, but after the first bit I got used to it and really enjoyed the story. It was like reading fan fiction just to revisit character you like. :)

michelepixels likes this.
  14. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

15. jk703

ok. I'm bored at work... and don't want to work. So, I'm going to go sign up.:giggle

16. jk703

ok. How do you determine if you really like the book? Do they have recommended ideals for each star? :giggle... I don't like to bad review things... more of a keep my mouth shut type of person and praise the good.

17. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Yes, I used to be on Shelfari but then it was taken over by Goodreads. I love the Reading Challenge, so this year I decided to join. My lucky number is 7 so I decided to aim for 17 books in 2017.
    I'm almost there:
    upload_2017-10-18_16-44-7.png

dawnmarch likes this.
  18. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I looooove Harry Potter, but couldn't get past the screenplay writing of the Cursed Child :-( Maybe I should give it another shot...

Karen likes this.
  19. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I read the Night Circus too, but I can't remember when I finished it. Thanks for reminding me :agree

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

How fun to see everyone's books and I see that you all have read many that I have too but I see some others that I haven't so look forward to coming back and checking these out.

Karen likes this.