Animated Christmas Lights Gifs and QR Codes Tutorial - Summer School Week 4

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by bestcee, Jul 19, 2016.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

One of the awesome things about digital scrapbooking is manipulating pixels in surprising ways. Something fun to try is creating a gif file for internet sharing. Gif files are little animated files. On my layout below, the Christmas lights blink on the sleigh and on the stocking:
    [​IMG]

Start with creating your layout. I used Kristin Aagard's Christmas Lights kit. It has a few elements in both glow version and regular version. I layered them on top of each other, and saved one layout with the glow on, and one with the glow off. Next, load the layers into one file, with no background layer. Every layer in the panel will become a layer in your gif.

[​IMG]

In Photoshop CC, go to Window - Timeline (In CS5 and CS6 it's Animate). In the middle below your workspace, you will have the option of Create Video Timeline or Create Frame Animation. Click on Create Frame Animation. Then use the menu dropdown on the right hand side to choose Make Frames From Layers. You will see a thumbnail of each layer frame in the bottom.

[​IMG]

Now is the experimenting part. Under the frames is a dropdown that defaults to 0 sec. You can select all the frames and change it to the same amount of time, or set each frame individually. The time dictates how long you'll see each frame. I used 0.2 on my layout above. I found 0.1 to be too fast. Play around with the time, and use the little play button to test and see if you like it.

[​IMG]

Once you have the frame rate picked, it's time to save. In Photoshop CC, choose Export - Save for Web (Legacy). On the side where it says jpeg make sure to change it to gif. If not, the animation won't keep. Finish saving, and you now have a gif to share.

[​IMG]
    Of course, once I print out the layout, the lights won't flash. That's where a QR code comes in handy! I grab the location of my layout, and create a QR code using a free site. Once the QR code has been created, I can save it and add it to the layout I print.

[​IMG]

Now when my family is glancing through, they can scan the code, and watch the animated layout. The QR code works amazing with little videos too. ​

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

well isn't that clever! So fun Courtney! I've done tons of QR codes for video clips, but I never knew you could do .gifs in PS!

My sister uses Google Photos all the time and when she takes a series of pictures of her boys in the same spot while trying to get them both to smile and stop making faces, Google will randomly create .gifs out of those photos and they are hilarious!

jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This is really an awesome and fun idea Courtney! I absolutely love it!

Karen - I recently stumbled on the little videos Google Photos makes of my stills too. You are right, this kind of feels like that! :)

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

I made one with a Roller Coaster too. Probably more similar to the Google Photos thing!
    [​IMG]

5. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I love this - so interactive and fun!

6. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

This is so clever and cool, Courtney!

bestcee likes this.
  7. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@bestcee A couple of your images aren't coming thru. :-(

The Lilypad - Error
    You do not have permission to view media within this category.

klee73010 likes this.
  8. bestcee

Sorry about that! I hope they are showing for you now!

mcurtt likes this.
  9. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I often do QR codes for videos on my layouts, but not gifs! I think the kids would get a kick out of that if they were watching themselves.

bestcee likes this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Very cool, Courtney! I did my first QR page just recently! Now, I have to try GIF! :)

Danyale and bestcee like this.
  11. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

12. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

13. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

@bestcee this is AWESOME!!!

bestcee likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So cool Courtney! We are going to Cedar Point this weekend, and I might have to try to get a series of pictures like this! Maybe someday when we look at pictures in books they'll be like in Harry Potter and move on printed paper! :giggle

bestcee, klee73010 and ForeverJoy like this.
  15. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I soooo want to do this on many photos, haha! Clever and fun...awesome reminder, chica ♡

bestcee likes this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

mine:
    [​IMG]

I don't do QR stuff... thanks for the tutorial!!

17. pamr

pamr Member

That is so cool! Now to find some photos that will work!

bestcee likes this.
  18. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

EEK. This is the coolest thing ever!

Thanks, Courtney for the awesome idea and tutorial and @cfile , you NAILED IT!

bestcee and cfile like this.
  19. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Fantastic tutorial!!!
    For a long time I have been wanting to make some animated pages and finally I made this one in 2012...
    Today I saw this stunning one from @bestcee- Courtney and remeber about this!
    So I'm posting it again!
    Does the other scrapers will like it???Or not...
    In fact at that time it did not cause much impact but I think that now we are more "open" for new trends!!!!

[​IMG]

crazsquaw, jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.