Alphas as Monograms or Focal Points - Summer School Week 5

Discussion in 'Six Weeks of Summer School' started by scrapsandsass, Aug 1, 2016.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Happy Summer School! It is already week five. And August! How can that be?!?!?

I'm here to talk to you about different ways to incorporate alphas as monograms or focal points on your scrap pages and projects. With so many fabulous alphas from the designers here, you could play with different techniques and alphas and make endless combinations on your pages.

1. Titles

Let's start out with the seemingly obvious idea of using alphas for titles. Of course this is typical and a no-brainer. Straightforward, right? But what if you play with the size and spacing of the title? What about placement? How about texture and dimension?

Chantal is one of my favorite scrappers, and she has a lot of graphic talent. I love seeing the creative way she forms her pages. Here are two pages I love that show different placement and sizing of the titles to create a unique look and focal point on the page.

In this first one, she used alpha letters as a focal point and element, putting them beneath the picture, adding depth and visual interest. The visual interest is there not only because of the interesting placement, but also because of the different patterns on the letters, and the the dimensional feel of the curling paper.

[​IMG]

It is a paper layout, but you could use digital alphas to get a similar effect. Like these from Kim, Leah, and Valorie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another example from Chantal. This is an alpha title that becomes a total focal point because of its size and placement. She even stitched the letters in an overlapping manner that creates more interest because of the look of it as well as the texture.

[​IMG]

A page like this would be a great opportunity to use these simple but perfect alphas from Jacque or Pink Reptile Designs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And don't forget... alphas can also be numbers or symbols, which add a different perspective to all of these ideas.

Shanna Noel used the combination of different alphas and one large number to add a lot of interest to her page. This page has it all. Texture, pattern, and different sized alphas.

[​IMG]

2. Element

Aside from titles, you can always use a monogram (or number/symbol) as its own design element. You can:
    • clip papers to a flat alpha/number/symbol that you've chosen for its font/style
    • use a dimensional or textured alpha that will immediately add visual depth or interest
    • use a vellum alpha or increase the transparency on a regular alpha so the background shows through
    • blend alphas or letters into the background
    • use a fun letter as a drop cap for a block of journaling
    • add a cut-out effect and place glitter, ink, paint or other visual interest below your main page
    • Just use a letter, number or symbol as a random element

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the coolest alphas reside here at the pad. There are tons of funky textures, dimensions, widths and transparencies. It is easy to use these alphas and make your pages pop and demand attention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Frame

Try using a monogram/alpha/number/symbol as a frame of sorts for photos, elements, papers or text.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or use the monogram to be a solid element and put the photos in the negative space like this:

[​IMG]

Here is a great alpha template to use for pages like these.

[​IMG]

4. Fill or Divide

Use a monogram/alpha/number/symbol as a filler for pocket pages or a dividing page in a mini album.

[​IMG]

Here are some great filler alphas for pocket cards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Hybrid Projects

And of course there are lots of hybrid projects you can do with alphas/monograms.

• Quilling an alpha
    [​IMG]
    • Use digital papers and photos to mod podge onto a monogram/letter

[​IMG]

• Use them as a design element on cards, glass etching, vinyl or other projects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this has given you some ideas about different ways to use your stash of alphas and to get you thinking about adding some to your wishlist for future projects!

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    jenn mccabe and mcurtt like this.
  2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

These are fantastic ideas Kimberlee. I do try to use alphas in interesting ways, but you really knocked it out of the park.

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

That a a whole lotta inspiration Kimberlee. I really like that first layout of Chantal's. I'll have to check out her gallery!

4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Wow! Some great ideas here!

5. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Eek. I should have put her user name. It is @ChantalK. She's amazing. :)

6. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

Wow! Some great ideas here!