300 dpi vs. 240 dpi

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by KellyM, Nov 12, 2017.

1. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Hi friends,

I am thinking these questions has been asked before but I couldn't find any info in the forums. My questions is somewhat multi-faceted. What are your setting preferences in LR CC for exporting to PS CC. Also what are the settings for your PS workspace.

For LR: I export images as a TIFF or PSD - preference based on size. TIFF is larger. So I like to export PSDs. My colorspace is set to Abode RGB - lots of different opinions on this. My bit depth is set to 16 bits. The LR default for exporting is 240 dpi. But I am considering changing this to 300 dpi.Because my designers create templates that are 300dpi.

In PS: I set the colorspace to Adobe RBG. 16 bit depth and I save as a psd.

Question - if the template of page I am creating is a 300 dpi page, will importing 240dpi pictures into the document create a less sharp page? I know it is never ideal to "upsize" the dpi, because essentially you are stretching the pixels out instead of condensing them. What are you all doing? Any LRCC/PSCC uses out these?

Hoping this makes a little sense!

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I think PS will automatically resize the 240 dpi image so it "fits" on the 300 dpi canvas at 300dpi--which means the image quality shouldn't be affected but the size will be. I could be wrong, but I haven't encountered a problem.

KellyM likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Hi @KellyM in short, I'm not sure but based on the popup message I sometimes get about the colour space not matching if I drag raw images into CS6 & the 'fix' them & drag across into a template still in CS6; I would think there would be a popup message warning about dpi too & options about what to do in case of a mismatch? Do you get anything like that?

KellyM likes this.
  4. KellyM

Thanks for the comments! :)

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Isn't Melissa our resident understander of all things technical? @scrappyjedi I think she explained that once to me? I know Cheryl @gonewiththewind exports from LR to PS.

I'm lazy. I export from LR CC to a folder on the desktop, then pull it into PSCC on it's own. I started when my laptop couldn't handle the RAM from both programs, and now it's habit.

KellyM likes this.
  6. KellyM

Great tips - Thank you @bestcee - thank you :)

7. KellyM

@scrappyjedi - wondering if I could lean on you for a little advice? Can you read my post above and weigh in? I value your opinion! Thank you!:cheer