Podcast recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by tkradtke, Jan 22, 2018.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I know podcasts have been mentioned in the what are you listening to threads, but I would love some new suggestions. I've only been listening to podcasts since June, but I'm kind of hooked. So far I have listened to Serial (Season 1 and 2), S Town, Dirty John, Crime Writers On... and Up and Vanished. I am currently listening to Atlanta Monster (it's my first new podcast to listen to and waiting a week between episodes is killing me!). As you can tell, I like to listen to true crime, but I will also listen to random episodes of This American Life too. My only issue with This American Life is that I can listen to one and be done... I would love suggestions for podcasts that I can listen to several of them back to back.

So, what are your favorites (and why)?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Dirty John was a great listen but also kind of, like, nuts. I mean, I won't say anything else in case people reading this haven't listened to it, but Oh. Em. Gee.

I like "How did this get made?", The Longest Shortest Time, and Anna Faris is Unqualified.

I like to listen to a Real Housewives breakdown podcast hosted by Casey Wilson and Danielle Schneider. There's a "barnyard word" in the title, so I'll just shorten it to "B Sesh." That should be enough info for RH fans to find it! Casey and Danielle are hilarious and I love hearing what they have to say. They're naughty, so just be warned lol. But I liked listening to the older ones because I only recently started watching RH of Beverly Hills, so I got some info on the characters.

There's the musical podcast called 36 Questions. It's short--only 3 episodes--but it's pretty good. You might enjoy just listening to it.

I just started listening to a few podcasts. Like, I'm one episode in on them, so I can't really recommend them but I do think it's worth mentioning so others can check them out:
    Ridiculous History
    LeVar Burton Reads

3. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

Totally going to follow this topic! I work early in the morning and it's quiet...but rather than listen to my music playlist (cause I'll listen to that while doing chores or driving) I turned to podcasts.
    I just saw a Dateline episode that mentioned Dirty John...is it basically telling the story of what happened? 36 Questions looks fun, I just added that so it's the next one I'll listen to.

So far I've started some Home DIY with Young House Love and Chris Loves Julia. I follow a lot of home blogs too so I can really get into these.
    I also got into Ask Me Another - it's a pop culture quiz show that can get really punny.
    How I Built That - interviews different entrepreneurs about how they started their businesses. I just pick and choose through the list so I only listen to those that might be most interesting.
    There's also a couple Disney ones I've been listening to so I can pick up any tips that I might not have known for our upcoming trip.

Tree City likes this.
  4. Tree City

Yes, Dirty John explains how a couple met and then what John was like and what he did. This is what Wondery (the podcast network) has to say about it: "[Dirty John is] a true story about seduction, deception, forgiveness, denial, and ultimately, survival." It sounds melodramatic, but it's not!

5. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Most of the podcasts I listen to are not series - other than the ones you mentioned. I enjoyed both Serial series, S-town and Dirty John.
    On my regular list:
    Pantsuit Politics - two friends, one from the right, one from the left discuss politics and current events
    What Should I Read Next - Anne Bogel interviews guests about their reading lives and makes book recommendations
    The Scrapgals - Two friends & paper scrappers talk scrapbooking
    Revisionist History - with Malcolm Gladwell
    The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey - Jamie interviews Christian women in a variety of contexts (entrepenuers, authors, ministry, etc)

Another podcast I sometimes listen to that is more series like (they take 2-4 episodes to examine a case) is True Crime Garage. I have to warn you though it takes a little getting used to - one of the hosts is kind of ridiculous but after a while you start to love him for it. I recommend starting with Boys on the Tracks - I think it starts with episode 93

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Tree City likes this.
  6. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Oh, one other - Smartest Person in the Room with laura tremaine. She chooses a topic and then interviews different "experts" so this one is a series although not one continuous story. For instance she did a Hollywood series and interviewed a Producer, set designer, celebrity bodyguard, script writer, etc.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Based on your list, I'm going to recommend Criminal. It runs the gamut from super safe (munchkin can listen to it) to a few that are more graphic in the nature of the crime. It always gives a warning at the beginning so you know what type it is. It's my favorite right now.

I also listen to Ask Me Another - love Jonathan Colton!
    I picked up Lore recently and have enjoyed that one.
    Rounding off my go to: Tell me something I Don't know. If you like to learn random facts, it's fun.

I can't binge "myths and legends" because his voice is so soothing he puts me to sleep. But his stories are fabulous.

Less Frequent:
    I listen to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me.
    Scrapgirls (they drive me a little nuts, so I can't binge listen them)
    This American Life
    Actual Innocence (this one hurts my heart)
    Old Daily Digi and Paper clipping Roundtable episodes
    Pocket Talk - scrapping one, but very hit and miss on releasing episodes

Sunberry2 likes this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't think I'll be able to help much Tracie, because I don't know anything about crime podcasts. Also I'm pretty new at listening to them too; just since last summer. For the last few years, I loved it when I happened to catch Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR on Saturday mornings driving home from my weekly walk with my friend, and then I learned that I could access them via podcast! That's what got me into them.

My favorites are
    Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    TED Talks Daily
    Hidden Brain

I've also enjoyed at least one episode from
    Stuff You Should Know
    99% Invisible
    Freakonomics Radio
    and I'll probably like more from them, I just don't have a lot of time for podcast-listening.

For the first time today I started listening to a highly recommended podcast, Happier with Gretchen Rubin. I read her book about a decade ago so I thought it might be interesting. I got about halfway through Ep. 152, Deep Dive into 18 for 2018 while I was doing some kitchen straightening and making my breakfast, but was only slightly interested enough to consider continuing to listen, and decided to scrap today's MOC layout instead. (I can't pay attention to audio while doing anything that requires attention). I got this recommendation from a Facebook group called The New York Times Podcast Club. Maybe they'll have some suggestions you like.

Good luck!

Juliestcyr and bestcee like this.
  9. tkradtke

I will definitely check these out!

I subscribed to this one as well, but have yet to listen to it. What do you think of it?

Oh! That sounds fun!

I'll have to check this one out. I've been wanting to add something political to listen to and I really like that this one represents both sides.

Both of the above sound good! I'll try them!

Thanks Courtney!

I should have mentioned this in my post, but I'm looking for all kinds of suggestions. I do love true crime podcasts, but I've found that I can't listen to two of them in a row.

I will definitely check these out!

michelepixels and Sunberry2 like this.
  10. tkradtke

Okay... I'm starting with this one now, but I noticed that the next story is The Springfield Three, I lived in Springfield at the time that happened!

11. Tree City

I like it, but there is music--very quietly--playing as he reads, and IDK if I like that. I think it's to help keep the reader engaged, but I don't always care for the music. But I do love his voice and he's read some good stuff. I'm hoping to listen to "The Paper Menagerie" tonight, actually.

12. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

So, I lived in Arkansas at the time of the Boys on the Tracks case and I vaguely remember how bizarre it was. My parents and sister are still there. That's what got me started listening. I'll have to check out the Springfield Three.

Would love to hear what you think about "the captain"

13. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I love a lot of these ... Hidden Brain, Invisibilia, Planet Money, the Frontline Dispatch.
    I am not sure if it's available in the US, but "Grownups Read Stuff They Wrote As Kids." I have a friend who's on there reading from her 14 year-old diary. It's sooo great, and I think a really great reminder for parents about the way we were, once.
    Beware, these teenagers can be a little salty, but Naomi listened to it, and her reaction was, "Hey, so, were you like a teenager at some point?"

Tree City, Karen and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I listened to this yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation!

ashleywb likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't listened to a podcast in forever. The last one I listened to was the Digi Show and that's been gone for years. I miss that.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Tree City

Oh, that's funny! I just heard about that podcast like last week...I think it's time to give it a listen. And how cool your friend read her diary on it!

17. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

We love podcasts, mostly when spending a longer time in the car.

Some we like:
    How I Built This
    Planet Money
    Reply All
    Labeled (this is a music podcast about bands that have been on Tooth and Nail records... probably not your thing)
    30 for 30 (sports)

There are a few others we will listen to but I think those are our favorites. Oh- my nine year old also likes WOW In the World but I think the female host has the most annoying voice.

tkradtke likes this.
  18. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

If you are a fan of the TV show, The West Wing, the podcast The West Wing Weekly is a really good one. It is co-hosted by a fan of the show and by a cast member (Joshua Malina). Each podcast episode is a discussion of an episode in the series, and they often have guests who worked on the show in some capacity. It's one of my favorite podcasts!

Episode list, from the beginning: http://thewestwingweekly.com/index

19. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I am a podcast addict! I listen to them all day while scrapping, cleaning, driving, shopping etc. I love podcasts about True Crime, writing, life hacks, technology, scrapping, the paranormal (sasquatch, ghost stories, etc) and history.
    Some true crime ones:
    My Favorite Murder- two friends take turns telling each other stories of crimes. Lots of language, and some get annoyed by the hosts' accents/speech. (somewhat "valley girl" and uptalking)
    Thinking Sideways- three friends discuss crimes- can get into "mansplaining"
    Corpus Delicti- similar to MFM, except the hosts are from Alabama and LOVE to say "bye, Felicia" way too often. (As an Alabamian, I like to hear some of the more local to me crime stories)

History themed podcasts:
    Ridiculous History
    Stuff you missed in History Class
    Revisionist History
    Hardcore History
    The History of Rome
    The Dollop- comedy 'cast with two friends- one tells the other an interesting historical story and the other reacts with comedy bits- it is pretty funny and interesting. They did one about PT Barnum and his treatment of those who worked in his "freak" show and it was so sad to think about how people treat each other. Now that I have seen "The Greatest Showman", I just get glimpses of the things talked about during the Dollop that creep into my mind when singing along to the soundtrack.

Self-Help/ life podcasts:
    Big Strong Yes
    Gretchen Rubin's "Happier"
    Stuff you should know

Paranormal/Conspiracy stuff:
    Stuff they Don't want you to know
    Surreal Talk
    Zealot
    The Confessionals
    The Paracast
    True Ghost Stories
    The Paranormal Podcast
    Sasquatch Chronicles

Sorry- I didn't mean to write a book- but I love podcasts!

tkradtke and bestcee like this.
  20. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Oh- I also love podcasts pertaining to my favorite TV show- Outlander. I listen to: Outlander Cast, The Official Outlander Podcast, and Sex & Whiskey