Anyone on goodreads?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bcgal00, Oct 16, 2017.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have met my GR challenge for the year already. 52 was my number and I'm at 55 with 6 weeks to go.

I grew up reading a lot. My mother was a reader and in his retirement years, my father read a lot also. I go through times when I don't read much then I get voracious about it and can't stop. For many years scrapping was my outlet to get rid of stress. So I wouldn't read as much usually only when a book called to me or when I was on the bike at the gym! I got my first Kindle in late 2011 so I downloaded a lot of free books and would read those. Also, borrowed from the library... had to get a new card to do that since they had changed systems and my old card was no longer good. But my focus was still on scrapping until late 2015. I had 2 older dogs that were my kids and I put them down on the same day. They were my favorite scrapping subject and I just couldn't do it anymore. SO closed that same month so I was also lost as to a scrapping home. So I turned to reading again and went crazy with it in 2016. Then my father died in June. Reading became my way of easing stress for many months as I was heading into my high stress months at work as well. Ended up reading 112 books in 2016.

I continued with reading through May of this year but then I had to turn my focus to getting ready for the bathroom and kitchen remodels to be done in June and July. I got back into reading after I retired the end of August. Now I split my time between reading and working on cleaning out the basement of all the junk. I still haven't gotten back into scrapping although I do have a new favorite subject... Puppy Peyton joined the family in July. Puppy training has also taken some of my reading time away. Mainly because she doesn't want me to sit and read. She wants on my lap!

bestcee likes this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thanks to recent posts on this thread, I was reminded to add my latest read to my Goodreads. I just finished John Green's Turtles All The Way Down. Now, at my daughter's insistence, I'm returning to Rick Riordan's books, beginning with The Lost Hero. :D

3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I grew up reading a lot too, everyone in my family was a voracious reader so it was natural for us all to spend an afternoon with our books, or take a book to the beach or park and lay there reading for hours. It's always been my quiet time to relax and get out of my head for a bit. Scrapping is fun, I love creating and preserving photos and memories but its not quite the same peacefulness I get from getting immersed in a good book. But....having delved into art journaling a bit lately, I am finding that it is giving me another avenue to distress and kind of get thoughts and emotions out of my head and onto paper. Have you played with art journaling at all? If not, go check it out. There aren't any rules, just different ways of going at it and you just figure out what is good for you to do. I find it very relaxing and peaceful to play with digi mixed media stuff, blending and mixing products together.

Congrats on getting the new pup and maybe your scrappy mojo will come back soon. In the meantime, keep on reading :)

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Nope, haven't tried art journaling. It really doesn't appeal to me at all. In fact, I hate to say this, but there is very little in the TLP shop that appeals to me anymore so my scrapping $ have been going to books lately.

Picked up a few books the last few days... now if the puppy would let me have time to read them ;)

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Enjoy all your reading and your new pup and don't feel discouraged from checking out the store from time to time b/c new products come in every week and you might see something that sparks your interest. In the meantime, have fun with other things.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@berniek Did you like the Lauren Graham book? It's in my To Read stack (on my Kindle, not a literal stack).

Me too! I love a good cookbook. Have you read Dinner: A Love Story?

I need to start using GoodReads again! I keep not syncing my Kindle so I don't lose library books, and then I don't use Goodreads. Sigh. Y'all are motivating me to use it in 2018!

Yeah for Puppy Peyton! I miss your pages. You know, there's some great dog kits! I always love your unique point of view.

7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

No, I haven't. I'll see if the library has it! Thanks for the recommendation!

bestcee likes this.
  8. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

love goodreads to help me keep track! and it also DOES make a great report at the end of the year that you can create a page about!
    [​IMG]

michelepixels likes this.
  9. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

and yikes! you encouraged me to go and check - I've only read 40 out of my goal of 50. I need to finish about 8 books I'm currently reading and whip another couple out in the next month!!!

10. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

I keep on forgetting to add books that I've read. Next year the goal is to keep track of what I read. Guessing I probably read around 30 books a year???? Great ideas here.

amandac likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Vrielinkie likes this.
  12. michelepixels

I think I chose something from a Goodreads list once. I really should take more advantage of the wealth of information over there. I've only just barely gotten into the habit of remembering to record the books I read. And that only happened when I started setting an annual goal with Goodreads last year.

I do love the end of year summary Goodreads makes for us. I've got screenshots of mine waiting to be scrapped soon!

bellbird and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm connected from my Amazon to my goodreads, so it records that I'm reading books. I have to go in and update that I've finished. It doesn't seem to always capture I've finished. I'm at 124 books so far this year. I imagine I'll get to 130. They aren't any real deep thinkers, but I enjoy the story and characters. I've been into paranormal and witchy series.

I got to see the end of year summary, that's a fun little review. :)

amandac and bellbird like this.
  14. michelepixels

That only works if you buy from Amazon though! I mostly borrow from the library. I need my library to connect to Goodreads! They do keep track of what we check out. :D

bellbird and tinkerbell1112 like this.
  15. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

amandac and busywoman139 like this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm on there and just sent you a request. :) There isn't a Lilypad group that I know of... I didn't know you could create groups there!

bellbird likes this.
  17. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Thanks for the request! Yay! Friends! lol!!!

And on the Community Tab, there's a group option & the ability to create a group. I can make a Lilypad one if someone else hasn't??

Edit: and if so, would you want it to be a public group or private?

amandac likes this.
  18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

ok. I am looking for you guys now. :)

bellbird and Karen like this.
  19. michelepixels

I'm starting my 3rd year with a Goodreads goal. Just 18. I managed 17 last year and 13 the year before. Here's my profile page. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7420422-michele
    I think it's funny it says "You have read 0 of 18 books. You're on track!" :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  20. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Wow! Late response! But as a fan of anything Gilmore, I liked the book indeed. If you're not into that, this isn't very special. But I kinda stan Lauren Graham. :giggle

Also: I'm sending out friend requests to y'all in this thread. So if you think "who that?!" it's probably me. :)

bellbird and bestcee like this.