Do you like dance workouts?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by _scrapaholic_, Jan 23, 2017.

1. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

I do! And I am always happy to get new tips for workouts :) DVD, youtube video, on-demand fitness videos, anything goes!

The one workout I love the most is Sh'Bam, you can do it in a fitness studio or online at https://www.lesmills.com/uk/ondemand/ You can't purchase just this one set of workouts, but the others are also not bad.

The other thing I like is just dance for Xbox 360. I still haven't played all of them.

I do like Zumba and Piloxing, but it doesn't motivate me enough to do it on a regular basis.

What kind of dance workouts would you suggest to try?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've never done a dance workout, I keep saying I'm gonna find one on Youtube and try it.

_scrapaholic_ likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I know I've tried some in the past ... let's just say that trying to get the moves down takes more effort for me than the actual workout. I have two left feet so this type of workout is not my friend.

4. _scrapaholic_

I actually like that I have something to think about during the workout. Time passes faster if I concentrate on the moves instead of how bad I feel because i get tired :D

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have just dance on the xbox! I should really plug it in again. My problem with dance workouts is my child and dog think they should be part of them. The dog trips the child, or climbs up on me, and we all end up in fits of giggles on the ground!

I'm going to check out the ones you said!

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I did Zumba for a long time. It motivated me more when I had the little jingly skirt and weights to use. I haven't tried any others but I'm following here and going to check out the ones you mentioned.

7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I did Zumba for a while at the gym, but after the loud music was making my hearing bad for a day afterwards, I stopped. Then I found out I actually had a hearing loss and the music was making it worse. They play it so loud because everyone else likes it that way, so they won't turn it down. I tried using earplugs, but it was still too loud and it was just weird. So I stopped.

I'm not motivated enough to do anything while I'm at home. Right now I'm not motivated to even go to the gym, but I am going because I need to. I do barre classes there, but no more dance. Maybe I should hook up our old Dance Dance Revolution and embarrass my kids!!

8. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

You're looking for something you can watch and do from home, not a class in a facility, right? Personally, I'm a fan of Zumba. It's the dance format I've stuck with the longest. But if you want a format that's more hip-hoppy, U-Jam came out with a home video for consumers last year.

9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I tried online Zumba a few times but I'm too uncoordinated and I get frustrated. I prefer just a regular old workout with weights.

10. _scrapaholic_

that's what I don't like about courses at the gym... Fortunately, we only have very few instructors who refuse to turn the volume down. I just don't visit their courses anymore.

I'm looking for both actually :) I need to try different things, so I don't get bored. I will have a look at U-Jam, I haven't heard of it yet, thanks!

Aerobigirl likes this.
  11. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I LOVE dance workouts! Just Dance is a lot of fun on Kinect, and I also still love the old Dance Dance Revolution games that I have for my Wii. I actually think that DDR is a bit more of a cardio workout because it's pretty much all legs and a lot of jumping around, especially at higher difficulties.

Sh'bam is a lot of fun as well, but the only way I will do that is with Les Mills on demand. NO WAY would I dance like that in public, even in a gym class- I am such a klutz when it comes to dancing! Martial arts though? That is really my jam. I LOVE Les Mills Body Combat! And it kind of feels like dancing with all the music pumping during they workout.

Haha!! This happens to me, too! The dogs think they need to get in on the action, and before I know it I've tripped over one and landed on my backside!

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am hopelessly too unco-ordinated for dance workouts, but I do love Pilates classes.

13. _scrapaholic_

Just dance has a "just sweat" mode (at least the version I am currently playing). This is a bit closer to a workout than just playing song by song :)

I haven't looked at body combat, is it also available in their on les mills on demand?

14. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Yes! They have several of their BodyCombat workouts on On Demand. That's pretty much my favorite of all their classes, with BodyPump being a close second.

15. Aerobigirl

[QUOTE
    I'm looking for both actually :) I need to try different things, so I don't get bored. I will have a look at U-Jam, I haven't heard of it yet, thanks![/QUOTE]

OK, got it. U-Jam has live classes, too. That's how they started.

Another place to look for at-home stuff is Collage Video. They have hundreds of workout videos and you can see how they are rated by the consumers who buy them.

16. Aerobigirl

Also, Cathe Fredrich has a huge library of DVDs, on-demand, and subscription stuff. Some simple dance, some complicated dance, and a ton of different weigh training formats. She's an excellent presenter (I've taken a workshop with her) and her materials are very sound.

17. Aerobigirl

Another one that can be fun, with lots of different genres, is Dancinerate.

_scrapaholic_ and bestcee like this.
  18. lealawson

lealawson Well-Known Member

So, I know this post isn't really active any longer...but I HAVE to reply. I do a dance fitness called Oula. It started in my hometown of Missoula (thus it's name...), and it is AMAZING. It is steadily & organically growing, but it isn't available everywhere yet in terms of gyms. BUT - you can do it online. It is the funnest workout ever.

Once upon a time, I was on the track to becoming an instructor. But, life throws things at you - and through those things I realized that I needed Oula to just be something I do for myself. I highly suggest checking it out if you've never heard of it!

19. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I used to do step aerobics! It was so much fun, but I don't think anyone does it anymore.

20. Aerobigirl

It can be hard to find a good step class these days, but they do still exist! It's 2 classes out of 40 at one of the places where I teach.

3BluEyedBabies likes this.