PhotoShop/PS CC - Selective Color Adjustment (Black to color changes)

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by cfile, Sep 23, 2017.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

During Friday's "Live" Froggy Friday new release video I mentioned to Laura and Jen about changing black to color and they suggested I write something up, so here I am! I hope this tutorial helps those who use Photoshop to be able to stretch their stash by being able to recolor black elements and papers to match their pages.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    *Note: To change from Black to White, or White to Black, just use the shortcut key of ctrl/cmmd + I . [PC = ctrl; MAC=cmmd]* note added 1/3/2019
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Selective Color Adjustment

Changing a paper or element from Black to a color in Photoshop / Photoshop CC is easy as 1,2,3!

Today I will walk you through a quick way to change an element or paper from black to a color. This is a sure fire way to stretch your stash, or even using your stash to coordinate with a photo.

Have you ever looked in your stash and found an element or paper you wanted to use, but it was the wrong color and did not go? Most times you can do a HUE adjustment or COLOR adjustment to fix that. When you have an element or paper that is black or a dark greyish color, it is almost impossible to change. Not anymore! The secret to changing black to a color is using the SELECTIVE COLOR adjustment.

Here is an example where I am using a circle shape filled in with black and I am going to change it to a golden yellow/maize coloring.

• Start with a black circle:
    [​IMG]

• At the bottom of the layer pallet are choices. The first one that looks like a chain is an icon you would choose if you want to “link” layers together. (To link, you would select the layers you want to link so they are highlighted in the layer pallet and then click on that icon. It will link the layers together, so if you move one, the other layers move with it.) The second is the fx choice which allows for effects and styles to be placed on that layer. The 3rd is the mask button. That allows you to add a mask to the highlighted layer. The 4th icon is the adjustment layer. This is the one we will use. It allows you to adjust your layer with different things chosen from a drop menu. The 5th button is the folder icon which allows you to group layers. The 6th button is the new layers button, allowing you to add a new blank layer above the highlighted layer in your pallet and then the trash can is the final icon which allows you to highlight the layer and drag then layer to the trash can to delete it.
    [​IMG]

• Click on the adjustment layer icon and choose Select Color from the drop down menu.
    [​IMG]

• When you click on Selective Color, an adjustment window opens in a separate window.
    [​IMG]

• It will probably be reflected as Reds. Using the down arrow, choose BLACKS.
    [​IMG]

• Using the sliders move to the left or the right for each of Cyan | Magenta |Yellow for the color you want. The Black slider, if you move to the left will get lighter, to the right, darker. So with the layer of the black circle highlighted, by adjusting the sliders here is where it changes the black to golden maize.
    [​IMG]
    (The little square with the down arrow is for the clipping mask.. make sure that is selected so it will affect only the layer below changing black to a color.)

Now let us use it in action.
    • There is a fabulous paper by Lynne-Marie that is perfect for this! The paper is from the Ansel & Zoe Collection and is noted as paper24.
    [​IMG]
    • Let’s change the edging color from blackish to a nice bright color.
    [​IMG]
    • Adjust the sliders to get the shade you want. Since you only want the paper below adjusted and change from Black to purple then make sure the clipping button is checked. (Otherwise everything that is black will be affected and changed to purple.)
    This can be done for all things black. Elements, papers etc.

This has the ability to stretch your stash and coordinate better for your photos. Have fun with it!

Here is a page I have made doing that.

[​IMG]

This was a page I made quickly just to see how you can change the black to another color using the selective color adjustment layer. I also selective color adjusted the matte under the photo, and I hue adjusted the chevron on the banner to get close to the paper color. Hope this is a great tip for you!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. cfile

@jenevang @lmccandless here is the Selective Color PS CC tutorial I wrote re our discussion on Friday 9/22.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That's awesome, Christa!! Thanks so much for sharing!

cfile likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Thanks for the tutorial. Nice job.

cfile likes this.
  5. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

What a great tutorial, Christa!

cfile likes this.
  6. cfile

7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Fantastic Christa!

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

What does a frog say when it washes a window?
    [​IMG]
    wait for it...

(Rub it, rub it, rub it!)

10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

11. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

This is wonderful! Thank you!

cfile likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

13. cfile

14. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Thanks so much Christa!!!

cfile likes this.
  15. cfile

You are so welcome Jane. Hope it works well for you!

janedee likes this.
  16. cfile

Yay.. glad you like Kim!!

17. cfile

@SharLamb here is something else I wrote you might be interested in Re black to color :)

18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

@cfile First time I've seen your great tutorial. I've never used selective color before. Thanks.

cfile likes this.
  19. cfile

You are so welcome Sandy :)

20. cfile

note in post #1 added 1/3/2019