Feb 17 ATC card assembly

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Mylinn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Greetings, this mainly digital only scrapper has a question for you with RL experience. The cards were all digital this time. They came ready to print, cut out in one piece and fold along a long side. Also, there is a template and individual card files so that LO design can be changed at will.

My questions:
    1) Print as is on cardstock or regular printer paper?
    Then fold using that bone thingy to make crisp edge (sorta looks like a weird nail file shape)
    And then...I have some tacky glue, a kids purple glue stick and some double sided tape...

OR do a LO with all the sides separate and place them together and staple/glue/tape carefully so they mainly line up

OR something entirely different? I'm using baseball card sheets to store all my trades in. And the notebook I bought to house them (but haven't decorated) is over 2 inches thick, lol. Someone was very excited when she bought it.

I figure this will get messy and am looking forward to it. Perfectly aligned is not even on my map so no worries about inexperience. Also, I can always print another, lol.

And and all tips appreciated.

2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I just plan to print, cut out & fold each card on cardstock. Then I will slide each one into a pocket of my baseball card sheets. No glue or tape for me. lol

Mylinn likes this.
  3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Great questions!

Yes, Print them on cardstock, but it doesn't need to be very thick. I like 65lb for example. I like to use THIS CARDSTOCK.

I personally will be cutting and folding (YES, with a bone folder LIKE THIS) and I actually do put a bit of glue to keep the sides together. I dab the glue then spread with my fingers so it's smooth.

I have also cut the sides out individually and glued them together that way... but I think the fold and glue will be faster and easier.

Mylinn likes this.
  4. Mylinn

Yes! That bone thingy is the exact one I bought from Amazon ages ago, lol. Thank you both. I'm having fun day dreaming what to do. I either have to hit friend 1.5 hours away or a Office Depot 1 hr away to print so dreaming and planning and looking over and over is my right now, lol.

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I looked at the .psd template that was included, which laid out 8 cards on 8.5x11" paper. I was thinking about printing double sided on card stock, i.e. print all the fronts, re-load into printer, and print all the backs.

However, I noticed a couple of things. Some people submitted a version that was meant to be folded, some included separate fronts and backs, and some included only fronts. So the printing will be different for the different sizes.

Mylinn likes this.
  6. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I don't know yet how I am going to store them but I think I will cut and glue them together. Maybe the folded edge will be sort of bulky (if even a little bit) and I am not sure I'll like that. All the other cards I have in my album (also in trading card sheets) are cut and glued together and I'll probably stick with that.

Mylinn likes this.
  7. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

Oh have they been sent out?

8. Rikki

@tam65 Jen sent everyone an email with the download link.

9. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

OH I wonder what email it went to .

10. Mylinn

She sent to the one you sent the ATC from I think. They are just the best!

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I print on brochure paper from HP and it is AMAZING! It's thinner than cardstock, but is like a thick paper. The surface is super smooth and just prints so crisply! When I was doing the physical ATC card exchange I started print on that and would glue the two sides together and it made a really nice thickness of card. My favorite cards were the ones that Marilyn made... she prints both side separately and then glues them to the thin cardboard piece from old kleenex boxes. Then sometimes she uses washi tape for the edges or sometimes she just colors the cardboard edge with a marker. Those always felt so rich to me. :) @mcurtt

Here's an image I did that compares printing on cardstock to the brochure paper:
    (brochure paper on left, card stock on the right)

Paper Compare.jpg

bbymks5, BevG, Mylinn and 1 other person like this.
  12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@Karen Thanks. :-)

@jenevang I'm so excited to look at these, but I've been super busy. I managed to download my treasures yesterday, but haven't unzipped them yet. It sounds like I'm going to be filling my ink tanks in the very near future.

@Mylinn And don't forget glitter and glossy accents and sewn on beads and sticky dots to make some parts of them 3-D. I always loved Jen's cards when she dragged out her sewing machine & stitched on her cards.

The paper that I have used for years is this (see link): It is 48lb, so if you fold, and not use recycled cardboard in between, the thickness would equal 96. :-) My brother is religious about keeping me stocked. He watches out for 2 for 1 sales. You can get it at Amazon, but it is at office supply stores as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Inkjet-8-...keywords=hp+presentation+paper+brochure+matte

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Karen and Mylinn like this.
  13. Rikki

@Karen Wow, it really makes a difference. The left is so much more vibrant.

I agree, @mcurtt 's cards are super nice. They feel so special with all the layers and the enhanced edges.

Karen and mcurtt like this.
  14. jenevang

OH! @mcurtt 's cards were the best (still are awesome, just not as tactile, LOL). And the funny thing about my sewing is that paper is just about the only then I sew :giggle.

Karen, Mylinn and mcurtt like this.
  15. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I will print on regular printer paper, cut and fold, and insert into my baseball card holders. I am the only one that pulls them out to look at them, so I am not worried that the lighter weight won't hold up. I won't glue them because I don't think it's necessary if they live in the baseball card holders.

On the other hand... in case they don't hold up, or I don't like the regular printer paper, I have the digital files and can print again. :giggle

Karen and Mylinn like this.
  16. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

February was the first time I did the ATC. Is there a link somewhere for March's ATC? I can't find it...

17. jenevang

18. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Matte photo pager is good too; I like the Target Up and Up brand; you can print on both sides.

Mylinn likes this.