Scraplift Chat Challenge - 2/27/2017

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by MandaKay, Feb 27, 2017.

1. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Today we had a chat about scraplifting and some of the etiquette that surrounds it. Scraplifting basically means copying others’ completed layouts in whole or in part. You might look at layouts in books, on the websites or at your friends’ scrapbooks, and decide to copy the whole “look” of it, part of the design, element or aspect of another layout for your own pages. We discussed that this is something that you would do for PERSONAL USE, not for copying and submitting a LO for publication or anything like that. We also discussed crediting the original LO in the best way you can. Kind of using the golden rule of "treat others how you would like to be treated", so if you created a LO that someone wanted to lift, typically you would want credit for it. So generally speaking you could include a thumbnail and mention that your LO is a lift of "username" and "LO name". We did talk about how that can be hard at times in certain situations, but we determined to use your best judgement when it would be necessary to credit. Usually, the original scrapbookers would be flattered to know that their layouts are wonderful enough for others to copy. I often scraplift or use templates because it helps me to get over a creative block or it helps me to get a LO done quicker than I would if left to my own devices! :)

So, I also challenged the chatters to choose a LO that they either saved to their favorites because they liked it, or one that catches their eye for a particular style to try or technique to learn, and scraplift it using some of the etiquette rules we discussed! Just add your page to the scraplift challenge gallery and show it off here in this thread. This is just a fun extra challenge, and no prizes will be given out for this.

Thanks so much for joining me in the chat room today ladies - can't wait to see some of your LOs!

Frumpje likes this.
  2. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I lifted your page here Amanda
    [​IMG]

& here's my lift:
    [​IMG]

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

As for etiquette here at TLP, if we are doing the scraplift challenge, I know we post the original with ours in the thread. What about in the gallery? I put mine in the Scraplift Challenge category, but should I link to the original too in the credits?

Also, what about crediting what part appealed to us or that we lifted? I have seen layouts that really don't look anything like what they scraplifted, so I some times wonder what they lifted or what the inspiration was. And should that go in the credits too?

Sorry I missed the chat. You may have already answered these "inquiring minds want to know" questions.

MandaKay likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

LOL I agree Bev. Sometimes I think...really???

5. cookingmylife

@MandaKay I think this was a really thought provoking chat. Thanks for hosting it! I'll try for a scrap lift later tonight.

A lot to think about and I remember a discussion years ago about the difference between a 'case' and a 'scrap lift', the case being copy and scrap exactly I think. I cannot see any reason for the 'case' unless you really are trying to learn a specific something. That would never, imho, be one for a gallery and obviously (!) not for publication.

MandaKay likes this.
  6. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

This was loads of fun! Thanks for the great chat and challenge <3.
    [​IMG]
    Inspired by your Leaf Pile Layout:
    [​IMG]

7. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

@EHStudios - I love that LO you chose to scrap - and you did it fabulously! How fun that some of you chose to scraplift a few of my LOs - wasn't even a requirement!

@BevG - we did discuss this a bit in the chat, and sometimes the lines get a bit blurry when it comes to crediting. My suggestion is always to put yourself in the other person's shoes. If there is a real strong similarity it definitely should be credited, and as far as where you credit - it definitely should be on your LO in the gallery in that case. For our monthly challenges, you really need to credit the LO you chose to lift in the gallery LO posting - since that is really where people see the LO - they might not be going into the forum thread where you posted it. I hope that helps and answers your questions! All good questions!

I love how your's turned out @AmandaJ !

And @cookingmylife - I would agree - it seems pretty bold to copy a layout EXACTLY as is.

BevG likes this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[​IMG]
    I scraplifted Manda's page here for design:

[​IMG]

Rikki likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I chose to lift the lovely layout by @IntenseMagic - I love her layouts!!! ♥
    [​IMG]

and here is mine:
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic and Rikki like this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I was inspired by Karen's Forever in Love. First, because the beautiful heart cutouts caught my eye. And then I realized I have some of the Bit Worn Topography templates by Valorie Wibbens and hadn't yet used any!
    Here's Karen's:
    [​IMG]
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

11. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Maybe not totaly on topic, but I think template designers also can help us to give them proper credits... I dont know about other software, but in photoshop you can stock pile your different papers and element and they would keep their filename. In templates when you start chances are you rename them and at the end you forget to put in the name of the template before running a credit tracker. I often think: shouldnt it be better if designers rename the background layer to their own filename/credit ?

But that said, I try to put a thumbnail of the original design in the credits when I scraplift something. It is always for a scraplift challenge :-)

Sorry I missed the chat!

Mylinn likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

That would be a nice shortcut for us. I just copy the template filename when I'm doing my Save As and paste it into the background layer title myself.

Frumpje likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

@Frumpje If i'm not too eager or in a hurry, I add the template info in the background slot and save over the original .psd BEFORE I use it. I was quite surprised that TLP designers don't have that in there already.

Frumpje likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

For us Artisan users, the converts to the .page format create a text box off to the side of the page that includes the designer and name of the template set. Since we don't have a way to track credits automatically, we can also use that text box to list out what kits we use. Then it is a simple copy and paste into the gallery credit box.

Frumpje likes this.
  15. cookingmylife

I lifted Amanda's
    [​IMG]
    for this one of my granddaughter. I'm sorry she didn't get her first college choice...UNC with a 26% acceptance rate...but I know things work out and hopefully she will realize that soon. It's hard though as I remember the feeling! Georgetown's School of Foreign Service turned me down too. :cry
    [​IMG]

16. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I lifted @Electra page, because I love the LO , and was inspired by @cfile to use bolder papers..
    [​IMG]
    and came up with this;
    [​IMG]

BevG, cookingmylife and cfile like this.
  17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

It is a good idea to name the background layer , because everyone keeps that ! I rename the template as soon as I start because In the past I have used save rather than save as, with the result that the original template has been altred.

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ditto !!

19. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I scraplifted this beauty from the amazing @fanon -
    [​IMG]

Here's my take on it. Loved the clean look!!
    [​IMG]

BevG and cookingmylife like this.
  20. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I was inspired by KarenB: [​IMG]

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]