"This Is Us"

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by JillW, Feb 20, 2017.

1. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I love it! I am a little on the fence about how they are dealing with Kate's issues, but I might be a few episodes behind as well. They are being a little less than accurate about the weight loss surgery process. I wish they would have done some research on how that actually works. I have had weight loss surgery myself, so it hits really close to home when I feel they don't do the process justice. But, it has in no way caused me to stop watching or caring about these characters! I think it's just about the best premise for a show we've seen on tv in a while!! Love it!!

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't watched it since my daughter, who is rarely emotional, said it made her emotional. I cry at everything, so I knew it would just be an emotional wringer that I wasn't willing to put myself through . . . maybe one day . . . just not right now. I'm struggling with depression and I don't need help with it. LOL

3. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Being a fellow depressive, I'd say it's not that kind of crying and not a depressing show. It's real with emotions and things that are complex to deal with. When I cry during it, it's a release. But you may be totally different. So I'll recommend Let's Make a Deal w/ Wayne Brady -- it's my hour to giggle and maybe even laugh.
    I'm not usually into shows like this one. For me I think it's the way they are dealing with the obese storyline and the feeling of not alone -- even if she has issues. It will be on Netflix someday I'm sure. So probably a wise choice.
    Hugs for the depression -- it's a hard place to be. Prayers are always heading your way.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  4. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Okay - twenty minutes after the end of the show and I'm still blubbering ... time to go to bed and cry myself to sleep!

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yeah, it wouldn't be a release for me personally, but I could see how it would be for someone else. Olivia said it is awesome and I've heard other rave reviews, so it's not that I'll never watch it . . . just not right now. :)

Thanks for the Wayne Brady recommendation. I've actually been watching Cheers on Netflix (as well as The Office). Cheers is cheesy and silly and fun, and reminds me of a happy time in my life, so it's been good for me.

Sending ((HUGS)) back at ya. We will overcome!

6. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Other than Kate and Toby's relationship I think I like it. (Really don't like him and I think he's destrctive to her....but mostly he just annoys me to death!) I say think because seriously every episode I say I'm not sure I like it but by the end it's hooked me again. I'm trying not to have a "Parenthood" repeat. Liked the first couple seasons then it just drug on and I just watched it out of habit. And I despised the last season. So trying to not like this drama too much; afraid it'll happen again. I don't watch a lot of dramas.

The first episode I had no idea on everyone's relationship when the firefighter offered jack a cigarette in the hospital my jaw dropped and it all clicked. I admit I don't think I've ever been so surprised at a tv show. So they caught me. I think if it was just a family drama occurring today I wouldn't be watching it. I think what keeps me watching is the complete and total character development you get with all the time jumping.

7. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Wayne Brady is my personal prescription for myself, and I make myself watch it especially on a down day. Nothing beats Wayne Brady (or at least not much on TV these days).

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Haven't started it yet, but it is on my list. Not going to look through the posts on here in case of spoilers, lol!! I will come back when I have seen some of it!

JillW likes this.
  9. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

@carilyne I'm going to have to DVR Wayne Brady Let's Make a Deal now. I could use some laughs!

10. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

I'm such a wackadoo fan that I started a private group on FB lol #nerd

carrie1977 and djp332 like this.
  11. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

My DH and I started watching it and getting towards the end of season 1. I'm not reading the rest of this thread as I don't want spoilers lol

12. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I need to get Hulu so I can watch start from the beginning...they have it on Amazon Prime, but I don't want to pay $20.00 to watch it.

Grey's is my jam, but I'm afraid it's coming to an end and I'll need another go-to series.

13. Squirrely

Squirrely Well-Known Member

Oh don't even get me going on the awesomeness of this show!! There isn't a character I don't adore - Kate and Randall being my favorites.

The scene when Kate was at the "fat camp" and she was finally getting into it and started screaming with emotion....I started to scream right along with her!! lol....My daughter was staring at me with huge tears coming down her face. I just felt her struggle so much at that moment. She is an amazing actress and I give her major kudos as a human being for being brave enough to do that character. That cannot be easy in Hollywood.

It's the first show my daughter and I can agree on to watch, and I love that about it. I don't believe it's a depressing show at all, it's just very moving - kinda like real life.

JillW likes this.