Sept./Oct. Book Club: The Light Between the Oceans

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Sep 15, 2016.

1. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Just finished this, ive been avoiding it for a while thinking it wasnt my sort of novel..

How wrong was I? Couldn't put it down but will be interested to see what non australians think of it. The conundrum at the centre of the story broke my heart...

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I finished it - i cried - it felt like The Notebook to me - i can't imagine living their lives- that time, their hardships and then after- i think this is a book hangover book and the characters will stay with me for a while

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Non-Australian and I loved, loved, loved it! Absolutely perfect . . . like a fairytale that gets way too realistic. LOL

4. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I loved it too. I like historical fiction and I should have been born in Australia I'm so fascinated with it. I found myself really not liking Isabel. I can respect her grief but come on! Now after seeing the movie though they didn't focus on Hannah quite enough and HER grief. And the poor girl.

5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I'm finished. Have to think on it for awhile to decide if I liked it. Well written though.

It's not really my kind of book: However sad one might be it can't be right to distroy so many lives around you. I do not find any excuse in my heart for this. It's not romantic or brave and there is no excuse to cause undo suffering.

The book was well written but I didn't like the story.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Ah! Glad to read this post I made but don't remember. :giggle I didn't remember putting this on hold. Checking my library website, I see I've progressed to number 17 in line. Well, maybe I'll read it instead of Man Called Ove, which I started this week and didn't like very much. I can always come back to this thread.

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I finally got to read The Light Between Oceans this week! What a compelling emotional beautiful sad story! Is anyone still interested in talking about it?

Here's what I wrote on Goodreads . . .

I did wish Tom stood up more for what was right at the start. It would have saved a lot if later heartache. Though it wouldn't have been a novel, I realize.

And, I want to add after reading a couple other reviews, written by women without children who did not sympathize with Isabel, that can't be the whole reason because I have 3 kids and while I could understand her getting attached, overall I thought she was selfish.

Sort of spoiler: I kept hoping that they would work out some way to have both families in Lucy/Grace's life. I loved when Gwen snuck Lucy a visit with Isabel in the park. I thought that was when things where going to start working toward my idea for a happy ending. The last chapter was sweet but I'd rather have seen everyone working together and Lucy getting to continue to know Tom and Isabel as well as Hannah.

edited to add: I just searched for the movie info. Boo. I have to wait until January to see the movie!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm actually kind of interested to see the lighthouse they choose to star in this movie retelling!! it'd have to be pretty spectacular A list kinda lighthouse!

kinda spoiler (written in white): In all honesty I can not so much identify with Isabel, never having been in any of her situations but i thought it was completely justifiable the way they portrayed it, right or not- she went through so much loss and thought this was a gift and if Tom had decided differently at the start I dont know what would have happened with them. I was sad it ended how it did with the timing but that's life isn't it - i think this will be a tissue box movie ...

michelepixels likes this.