24 hour notice: In-Law Rant

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jenevang, Aug 23, 2016.

1. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Wow! I'd be so mad too! I feel your frustration. Short notice for house guests is never cool. :disagree I'm glad you were able to get that rant off your chest and that your hubby and son are helping you out.

But if they live in CA and you live in GA, this change must've been planned for awhile?? At least on their part. I can't imagine taking a 4 day roadtrip or changing plane tickets at the last minute. :huh

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm glad you feel a bit better. You had a busy day yesterday so finding out in a day's time you will be hosting people probably didn't help matters!
    ITA with @corsicar How can they do a last-minute trip from CA? I can barely do a last-minute target run lol.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

That would freak me out so bad ... my hubby knows me better than to even suggest guests would stay in an uncleaned room. Never. ever. would that happen! Sounds like you recruited some much needed help Jen! Good for you. And I hope the visit goes well and all of you get to enjoy it! ... but wow, that is really really last minute. hmph

4. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Men just don't get it. You should be tasking him with some of that instead of taking it all on yourself.

Tree City likes this.
  5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@jenevang , girl be happy and feel blessed that you didn't marry into a Latin family. In-laws stay in the latin culture is MIN 3 week visit. I KID YOU NOT! I feel so sorry you are so stressed out. PUT your hubby TO WORK! So he can understand why you are upset!

Tree City likes this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh. I am so sorry.

I agree - I'd give them hotel numbers to call. Period. No other options. It's called setting boundaries, and I have had to set a lot if them.

You are good to get ready for them, but I do believe a basket with supplies should be given to them upon arrival, or else it will happen again. I do draw a hard line, don't I? I guess it comes from experience.

Tree City likes this.
  8. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

These comments all made me totally GIGGLE. Which I need as I'm at work thinking of my house, LOL. Thanks, ladies!

[​IMG]

Sadly, you don't know my in-laws. They literally decided to come at noon yesterday, bought their tickets and THEN called my DH to let him know at 3pm. In that order. #notkidding I'm scared to ask if they are still coming in October. #donotwanttoknowyet

[​IMG]

bestcee, Tree City and scrappyjedi like this.
  9. corsicar

corsicar Dinner tonight? Something chocolate I'm sure!

Wow that is crazy short notice! And still expecting to stay at your home is very rude. I don't blame you one bit for being upset.

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow. just wow. I can't even. I hope you slept some last night because I know you'll have everything all cleaned and ready for them and will be a gracious host, but your hubby owes you big time! I can't believe your in-laws thought it was acceptable to buy tickets and then TELL you they were coming. not ask.. Sheesh!

11. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Ugh, I can so relate! And telling DH he should prep for them is fine in theory but, of course, it wouldn't be done to a halfway decent standard and then we all know who would be judged as a result don't we? :thinking2:hummm

Tree City likes this.
  12. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I think you should go on strike. We can all make clever picket signs.

scrappyjedi and Tree City like this.
  13. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Oh quite the truth there!!! Maybe that's why I have so many problems with my inlaws! Actually they would come 2 hours earlier than I would ask them to arrive. And wonder why I didn't run out and greet them. (especially a problem when I was nursing a baby, just getting home from work, and they would pull up.)

Tree City likes this.
  14. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I strongly dislike when guests are habitually over-early. Really, it is more polite to be a little late in my book! :giggle Professionally? Early is the way to go. Personally? Be polite- be a little late, or show up ready to help!

berniek and Tree City like this.
  15. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Oh they were ready to help which was good. She was always helpful in getting dinner ready etc. But so upset that I didn't greet her properly. I guess I should have gone and given them a hug once -- and after they changed their shirts they might have listened. I think if you are coming over and someone asks you to arrive after a certain time it's only polite, or at least don't get hurt feelings.
    Hope all is going well with your family Jen!!!

16. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

THIS. EXACTLY.

You are my true friends!

[​IMG]

Update: In-Laws are here. I'm at work. Brad's at work. Kids are at school. LOL. So, there you have it. Hope they are having a blast at my house. Alone. :giggle

RebeccaH, bestcee, Lindzee and 6 others like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

:yippee

The one time that you were deliciously excited to be at work . . .

18. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Oh, Jen! I'm so sorry! This stinks, and I would be feeling rather frustrated! I hope hubby stepped up and pitched in to get everything ready.

As for me, I would NOT let my kids be displaced out of their beds during the school week.... my in-laws or whoever else decided to show up would be finding their butts on the couch or floor or any other available surface, but NOT my kids' beds. It's their home. It's their responsibility to do their best at school and they need to get good sleep to do this. I've had this 'discussion' with my mom more than once when she has randomly dropped in to stay for a bit.:furious:rollingpin

Tree City likes this.
  19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

HaHa Yes, I'd want to put them in a hotel but then I'd probably give in and just take care of it. It gives you something to do anyway. Peace and I hope you get some help!

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Should this be a repeat performance in October, if you can possibly afford it, book a local motel etc and tell them it's your treat! Hang in there and let us know how it's going/went.

I was very lucky in my first marriage to have wonderful in laws and my xh and I really liked our set. We just didn't like each other that much!

Sadly this ifsusually true... my current husband is pretty good if you give him the kind of instructions you'd give a pre-teen. It's take about a decade to get that far also... just sayin.
    "Ugh, I can so relate! And telling DH he should prep for them is fine in theory but, of course, it wouldn't be done to a halfway decent standard and then we all know who would be judged as a result don't we? :thinking2:hummm"

bestcee likes this.