What Else? (Don't Say It)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by scrapsandsass, Jul 21, 2016.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

So you know the saying, when it rains, it pours? It is pouring at our house at the moment. :badmood

Even though it is nice temperature/weather wise, there is a crap storm of other stuff. My husband made the mistake the other day of saying, "What else can go wrong?" So of course the universe had to respond. Just a bit of advice and a public service announcement... don't ever ask what else can go wrong. :giggle

We've had a bunch of little odds and ends things going wrong in the past month... things breaking, car repairs, stuff being stolen and other minor inconveniences. My grandma has been going through some skin cancer issues. My mom/brother are having a lot of financial trouble at the moment. Then my nightmare of a step-daughter (sociopath) is causing all sorts of family drama which is completely stressful and awful (for the past three weeks). And for the last week and a half, Tim's ex-wife is also causing drama surrounding us seeing our grandson (even though Conan's dad [who has custody of him] is totally fine with us taking him for a week). I was also diagnosed with a new weird/rare medical problem on top of my other weird unsolvable medical issues. :groan But even though that was all stressful, it was somewhat manageable.

But Tim jinxed us by asking what else could go wrong. As soon as he said it our dishwasher broke and the car died three days later and I had to be towed for nearly 40 miles. The auto shop just called and told us that it would be at least $5000 to put in another engine to repair it (which makes me laugh because the car is already 15 years old). We're supposed to be leaving to go across state to pick Conan up tomorrow and return him next Friday. We have a rental car reserved for picking him up, but then have no clue what we'll do. This was not in the plan. LOL.

So I'm feeling a bit :crazy3 at the moment.

What kind of car do you drive, and do you love it? I need ideas so we can start figuring out options. Ugh.

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

i drive a mini van and haven't truly LOVED it until this past week. I rented an Elantra on my trip, and was like.... "I'm too close to the ground. Where are my automatic seats? Why can't the car say my navigation instructions?" Now I'm home and grateful to have my conveniences back, even as little as I actually drive (since I walk or run the kids to school, and work from home mostly).

I have no real car advice for you... and obviously can't take away the pain and inconveniences of your recent troubles... but Hugs! I wish I could give you a real one!

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I am so sorry you are going through all of that!! I feel like we have that kind of life too... "What else?" I used to always say "Where is the light at the end of OUR tunnel?" I hope the best for you...

I drive a 2016 Ford Focus. LOVE it!! I had looked at the Kia Optima's for two years before we bought my Focus (among other cars) and thought that was the car for me until we test drove the Focus. I haven't had a car in 16 years (before this I drove a minivan and a small SUV). It's still weird getting in and out (so much lower to the ground) but the gas mileage is worth it.

4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Car advice I don't have. We have a Dodge Stratus and it's 10 years old and has been a good car. The drivers seat in relation to the door is weird though, I guess it's lower to the ground.

I'm a little miffed at myself. I wrote the tech and said the computer seems to be fixed. Now my touchpad or whatever is acting up a little. Did I jinx myself?

5. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I drive an 8 year old mini van and hubbie drives a 13 year old Subaru Forester (which I still really like). If I could afford it, I'd buy another Forester, that car has had almost no issues over its lifetime, and it is still in pretty decent shape considering its age.

Hugs to you for all the other yucky stuff you are dealing with. I hope things settle down soon.

6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Hugs to you @scrapsandsass. Remember, this too shall pass. I don't have much car advice, we seem to be a Ford family. I drove a hand me down accent for ten years (I thought it was fine...) but my sons and my husband banded together and now I drive a 2016 Ford Explorer. It's a great car, but probably overkill for how much driving I do. They think I'm safer somehow...

7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

just hugs to you Kimberly ... i drive a big old SUV so I don't have any good car advice for you. i just hope you can figure it all out and that the "storm of crap" turns into a rainbow and a pot of something good for you! fingers crossed the trip to pick up Conan works out A-OK!

8. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

sorry Kimberlee! :( I drive a big soccer mom SUV- GMC Acadia & LOVE the heck out of it. Before that I had a little Volvo s40 that I loved but was too small for my growing kids & all their crap!

I hope the universe is done with you & things start looking up!

9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Sorry about all the stuff going wrong.

We drive Ford Explorers in our family. At one time, we had 4 of them. Now we're down to 2. Mine is about 6 years old, hubby's is 3 years old. We love them. Roomy, but comfortable. His is much nice than mine, but mine is paid for.

10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

He happy with our 4 yr old buick encave or something like that

boy i thought losing my hard drive was bad, still holding breath to see if this one will do the same

11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Omgosh, so sorry about your luck! Yeah, I try to never say those words!! Hope things start going better for you!!
    I drive a 5 year old Suzuki Kizashi and I absolutely love it...It's compact, AWD, loaded, and gets fabulous gas mileage. But no help to you because they don't make Suzuki's here anymore. It sucks for me because it took a big bite out of the resale value of my car.

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

omigoodnesssakes, Kimberlee! Hugs! Hope things turn around and the universe starts playing nice.

I'm like the others... a bigger SUV, GMC Acadia. I love it, it's perfect for now... kids/stuff. In a year or two, I want to go back to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm ready for a little smaller but we need 4x4 here for the snow, so Jeep is my fav.

Good Luck finding a new car!

13. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Thanks, ladies. I really want a Mini Cooper, but Tim has already given the thumbs down on that one. :p

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ugh.. I'm so sorry Kimberlee. I totally know what you mean though and we've had BOTH of our vehicles in for expensive repairs this month. I just got my minivan back from getting brakes done and my AC fixed for a lovely bill of $800. My hubby's bill wasn't quite as bad, but almost, so yeah... OUCH! It's always something for sure. I hope all this stress gets resolved soon for you and that it mean you've hit your stress max for the year!

15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a 5 speed diesel VW Golf circa 2002 which is still in great condition and I get 35-41 mpg. I really lovelovelove it.

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hugs to you!
    We loved our Toyota Corolla, and drive it for 10 years! After it was totalled, we got our Hyundai Tucson. Not a car, but I love being higher up, and the gas mileage hasn't been atrocious - usually between 26-29 mph. I love the Bluetooth connection, and the remote to lock/unlock the doors.

17. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I absolutely love my Mini Cooper! I don't have kids at home anymore and I don't have grandkids, so this is the perfect "me" car. I've had it 5 years and I still love driving it. His name is Parker.

18. angiekey

angiekey Permanent residence in the gutter

@scrapsandsass - Last month was our month from hell, with one thing after another after another. It ended with us living in a single hotel room for a week - me, DH, my stepdaughter, and our two small dogs - while the AC company replaced the brand new evaporator coil that the roofing company killed when they came to put on our new roof to replace the one the hailstorm totalled. My DH actually started to say, "What else could go wrong?" but I slapped my hand across his mouth before he could get it all out. LOL!

To answer your question about cars, I loved my Ford Explorer. Being able to haul people and things, sitting up high - it rode like a car rather than like a truck - and if it wasn't for the fuel economy (it sucked on the 2002 model) I'd still be driving it. We sold it last year, and I'm driving a used Nissan Maxima. I don't love it, but it's paid for. My husband drives a Ford Fusion with all the bells and whistles, and we love it - it feels like the perfect cross between a sports car and a luxury sedan, and there's ample room in the back seat for when we have passengers.

19. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I hope things settle down for you SOON :/

I drive a 2015 Ford Expedition fully loaded. Before that we had a 2003 Expedition, also fully loaded. We always go all out with my trucks :) Hubby bought a 2016 Ford Explorer in January. I like it, but it's a little small for me.

20. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

We have a Subaru and an Explorer and are looking to buy another Subaru. Two of my kids have Mini Coopers and love them. Our friend has a Ford Focus that he loves.

Hugs and good luck with the car shopping.