Need help using Juicy Bits Painted Alpha

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Debskh, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Debskh

Debskh New Member

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and hope this question has a really simple answer! I just purchased the alpha Juicy Bits Painted Alpha but the alphabet is all in black. I do not know how to make it different colors. I use Indesign mostly but also have Photoshop. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hi Debskh! Welcome to The Lilypad!

I don't know how to use Indesign, but in Photoshop you can do it pretty easily. When using the brush or the pngs, once you have them in your layout, and for each layer that you want to change the color, you place a paper above the alpha layer. Then with that paper layer selected in the Layers Palette, right click and choose "create Clipping Mask." Then the letter will change to the paper color.

This will work with a whole word on one layer or a single letter on a layer. You will have to do this for every layer if you have more than one layer of letters.

I hope that helped. Reach out if you have more questions. :)

3. Debskh

Debskh New Member

Thanks for your quick reply! Will try it out and if I'm still having difficulties, will post on this thread! :)

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hello! :wave
    Welcome to the Pad! I hope you got it figured out, that's an awesome alpha!

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

If you have several letters on separate layers, you can put them in a group, and clip the paper to the group. This will only work if the letters do not overlap.

Also, if you adding a drop shadow or other style, you will want to add the style to the group as well. Otherwise the paper will clip to the shadow and look awful.

6. Marlen

Marlen Well-Known Member

Great question :) Maybe anyone could tell me please how I can change colors of painted alphas (or anything painted) in PaintShop? PLEEEAAAASE :)

7. lorryfach

You can use a gradient map adjustment layer. This tutorial, for some reason, only tells the PSE users to use an adjustment layer, but that's what I do in Photoshop as well. Using a layer is non-destructive, and the layer can also be clipped to a whole group, like I described in my earlier comment. But other than that, it explains the method pretty well.
    http://pixelsandcompany.com/2014/04/recolor-alphas-the-easy-way/

And now I see you said PaintShop! Ooops. Let me look.

8. lorryfach

9. Marlen

Marlen Well-Known Member

10. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I'm sure some PSP scrappers will jump in and help if you need it!