Father's Day | Pad Patter 6.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 17, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Happy Father's Day to all those great dads out there!!

My DH is probably getting the shaft this year lol. I have spent the last week cleaning out and getting ready for a yard sale and then dealing with it all day yesterday, so I have not done one bit of Father's Day shopping. I may be able to pick up a little something later today.

My dad passed away 6 years ago, just two days after Father's Day, and it's always a little rough for me. I was a daddy's girl for sure. My FIL passed away 11 years ago, pretty close to Father's Day as well. So I'm sending big hugs :grouphug to those missing their dads today.

Are you all doing anything special to celebrate the dads in your life? Any great gifts coming their way?

2. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

We are on vacation and visiting my hubby's former work wife (or girlfriend as I call her). They formed a great friendship and she moved away so I told hubby we could visit this year.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@IntenseMagic I also have a rough time with Father's Day. For many years I was never with my father because of him living in NC and me in OH. Then I spent FD 2016 at the funeral home visitation for my father and buried him the next day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I lost my dad a few years ago, too. My hubby doesn't want anything special, so we're just going to hang out today. Our youngest and our GS will be over later. I called my brother and with him a Happy Father's Day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I really dislike Father's Day (and Mother's Day) since our parents have passed. Last year we were at the beach. This year we are home and are planning on picking up a pizza and taking it to a free, outdoor concert tonight. Our youngest daughter and her husband will be coming with us. I just hope we don't die in the 90 degrees tonight.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

How nice!! I hope you have a wonderful visit!!

The last time I spoke to my dad was on the Saturday before Father's Day...he called to ask me to go feed the cat he kept at his office because he didn't feel like it. On Father's Day, he still didn't feel well, so he didn't want any company and I didn't get to speak to him that day. He passed away on Tuesday, my son's birthday was on Thursday and we had the visitation that day. Wasn't much of a birthday for him that year, but since then it has given me reason to celebrate instead of only being sad.

Sounds a lot like our day. Hope you enjoy!!

It's never the same after losing your parents for sure. An outdoor concert sounds lovely! It's really hot here, too. We went to a dirt track race last night and didn't stay long.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Dave NEVER asks for anything but mentioned that he would like a new robe. Well, robes for men seem to be a bit shy in the summer so his gift is on hold. I did make him a card with Paula's fun Super Dad's Kits and a coconut cream pie. Daughter Laurie and family will come over for dinner in a couple of hours.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

Randy never asks for anything either, but yesterday mentioned he would like to have a new set of headphones. I went out this morning and all I could find were either wayyyy expensive or cheap crap, nothing middle of the road. I ended up getting him a dash cam for his car and I'm going to make tortellini alfredo and strawberry shortcake a bit later. Coconut cream pie sounds amazing!!

Iowan likes this.
  9. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Big hugs for everyone who misses their dad, I'm so happy I still have mine, can not imagine what I would do without him, he's been so supportive for me and my children.

Fathersday is a difficult day for the children, this morning we had breakfast and presents for (bonus)dad; the 2 youngest made something at school and I bought a little present for them to give, the two eldest bought their own present. After that we went to the graveyard to visit Jack, it always breaks my heart seeing my children by Jack's grave.
    I took a picture (as I always do for memory keeping) and then I got a reminder on facebook, I saw I took almost the same picture 5 years ago, that year was the first fathers day after Jack died.
    They are so much bigger now and I'm so proud of them, I know he is to

0D7BBAB6-D93A-49CF-87CF-B885C4BDA03C-KLEIN.jpg

Karen likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well one of the nicest things today was that Dick told me this a.m. that he'd had some texts wishing him a Happy Father's day. He said guess who the first one was from. I guessed his grandson in AZ who's 13. He said no...it was my daughter Liz. I texted her later in the day to say how happy that made him and how much I loved her for it!

Tonight Dick's daughter is taking both of us out to dinner. Otherwise that's it round here. My father died of ALS when I was 28 and my mother died of cancer when I was 31 so these holidays haven't meant much to me. Both my husbands have had their favorite meals cooked so often by me, that it's not a special thing today!

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Mostly a normal Sunday around here, although we did set up my husband's new to him phone. I got a new phone for my birthday so he wanted my old one. As I told the guy at the store, he is going from old, old dinosaur (flip phone) to newer dinosaur (Samsung 3). There are gifts, so I guess we will party some later today...

Hope to go visit my parents next weekend. My FIL passed away over 9 years ago.

12. IntenseMagic

My heart breaks for your kiddos. I'm glad they have bonus dad to love them, and I am sure that their dad is watching over them and so very proud of them!!

Hope you enjoyed your dinner out. We went out on Saturday night to DH's favorite place and I ended up sick the rest of the night lol. I told him that I hope he enjoyed it because I wasn't going back any time soon!

Our Sunday turned out pretty normal as well. Lol @ the old dinosaur to newer dinosaur! Hope he's figuring it all out!

MiekSter likes this.
  13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We went over to western WA (6 hr drive) to celebrate with my dad. My hubby always drives so I feel like it sort of ruins father's day for him! We made up for it tho with a big bucket full of new car wash supplies for his new car. Plus it was fun to do a road trip for the first time without having to pay any gas! :) The kids made him cute cards & stuffs at school. He says he had a great day! ;)