January 26 – Tradition/Heritage (Journaling)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by Iowan, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Hi scrappers. The month is winding down and MOC 6 will soon be a distant memory, but having scrapped all month, we will have fantastic pages commemorating the event with layouts that are just a few keystrokes away on our hard drives.

It is important, as memory keepers, to share our reminiscences with our families. As such, for this challenge, we will take a trip down memory lane and tell a story about the past. Perhaps, you have a holiday tradition or a story that has been handed down to you through the generations that you would like to tell. To make it interesting, and since it is a heritage challenge, let’s tell stories from the 20th century (1900-1999). Please display the date clearly. If you are like me, you might have to guess the date, so I’m good with the decade, e.g. 1950s or Circa ~ 1990s, etc.

OPTIONAL: if you wish, you may include up to three photos that highlight the memory for you. It is ok to use current photos. For example, I think of the antique school bell on my mantel which elicits lots of family stories regarding the school house that once stood on our property in Iowa.

Here is my page which tells about the beginning of my husband’s school year in the 1950s.

MOC_6.26 2018 1955-Back-to-School-copy.jpg

In order for your page to count, you must follow the challenge requirements:
    1. Tell a story that is set in the 20th century (1900 – 1999) in your single-page layout.
    2. Prominently display the date or decade on the page.
    3. Optional: include up to 3 photos that relate to your story. These can be current photos.
    4. Your journaling should be a minimum of 150 words, in complete sentences, to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word 150 times. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me or Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    5. Your journaling should be legible and readable. If your page is not in English, we ask that you translate your journaling to English and post the translation in your gallery credits. If your journaling has been distressed or your font is too small to read, you should post your journaling in your gallery credits. Again, if your journaling is sensitive and/or personal, please message me or Julie directly to discuss.
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers). ”

I look forward to reading your reminiscences.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Your page is very beautiful! Such an harmony.

Iowan likes this.
  3. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Awesome! This I can do. It will still be a challenge, I don't come from a good family and neither did my husband but we were married in 1997 and we started our own wonderful healthy family traditions. So either one of those or I might take something that was good about my childhood, there wasn't much good, but there were some. :) Thanks for a good reflective challenge! I'll think about this. I've been waiting all day! :D

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

oh this is going to be tough if I can’t find my EHD with my photos from my childhood on it - that must be this weekends task, find EHD as I wanted photos on it for another challenge as well.

LynnG likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

No photos required! So, if you can't find it, don't stress and get it done. You can always add the photo when you find it.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I figured out what I want to tell! I went to a 2 room school house for awhile. No, I'm not that old, but I lived in a lot of farm country! Maybe there's something like that your kids would love knowing?

londoncuppa, meterr, LynnG and 2 others like this.
  7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

The photos tend to spark the story for me - It will be around somewhere in my bedroom as I used it after I got my new laptop last year

bestcee and Iowan like this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@Iowan (please let me know if this doesn't fit the brief)
    [​IMG]

Andrew 1980: Although I did my utmost to try and convince the examiner that my hesitation was in the interests of safety he would have none of it and was adamant (actually correctly so) that I hadn't known who had right of way. As a result I failed the test. My learners licence was about to expire and there was insufficient time to book another test in time. A local driving school had a pre-booked test slot available and I could have it provided I had a lesson with them beforehand. Test day arrived the following week and with great nervousness I arrived at the test centre in the trusty Renault 4. I was very disappointed to be allocated a lady examiner who had a reputation in Gweru for being very strict and failing many aspiring young drivers. Off we went with me doing the best I could under the circumstances. Arriving back at the test centre at the end of the test the examiner began listing all the mistakes I had made. With great despondency after listening to all the mistakes made I said to her that I therefore presumed I had failed. But to my immense joy and relief I had passed. I was now a licenced driver and the roads were my oyster.
    Stefanie 1984: I had finished school, my Mom had bought my car already, a 1977 Datsun 120Y. She couldn't wait for me to get my license and drive her around. I remember the first test, I thought it went well and was devastated when I heard that I had failed. Brian's delight at my anguish didn't help any. The second time around was quite a blur and when the traffic officer took out the paper and started writing on it again, I thought I had failed again. Imagine my delight when I had passed instead. I know that Francoise the driving instructor wanted me to tell him about the route I had taken - but it was a total blur. I am thrilled that I never ever have to take that test again.
    Rosie 2018: You rolled ever so slightly forward on your three point turn and failed immediately. We tried to book again on the same day but we were going overseas and the driving instructor (Lynne Marie) was not available until after the dates that were open. So we booked on the 9th of January for the 25th. You were quite stressed before the test, but once it started you were fine. A slight bump of the curb and you requested to use your second chance and passed that time with flying colours. We are so proud of you and trust that this new ability opens many doors for you. Even as I hand over my keys, close my eyes, pray and breathe deeply when I watch you go.

Mylinn, LynnG, kendrawalter and 3 others like this.
  9. andastra

andastra Can't knock me down for long!

My story about love for nature:

[​IMG]

Text:
    When I was 12, my mother started working again. My younger sister and I were allowed to go to our grandparents after school. Practically we lived in the same house. We got a delicious lunch and did our homework afterwards.

Our grandparents always told us great stories from their childhood. The cities were not that crowded, there were not many cars, they had little toys and they were satisfied. The children spent the whole day in the garden, in the meadows, in the woods or on the playground. In winter, my grandmother had to run knee-deep through the snow for an hour to get to school. You can not imagine that today.

My sister and I had a nice childhood. In the summer our grandparents put a pool on their balcony and we went swimming with their foster children. Through guardianship, every few years they met new children, new cultures, new countries and languages. That was exciting! We did not need a TV, life was colorful enough. My grandparents and my parents grew a lot of fruit, vegetables and salad in the garden. That was fun, especially the harvest.

Our parents made with us many excursions and walks in nature. We visited our zoo, ran for hours in the forest to look for mushrooms or berries, watched planes at the nearby airfield. We looked at a lot of documentary about the wildlife. We traveled to some European countries by car.

My children are also very interested in their environment. There is still life without TV, computer or smartphone.

Our story takes place in about the 1940's and 80's and 90's.

cookingmylife, Iowan and cfile like this.
  10. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Thank you so much for this fabulous challenge, creating a page in memory of my Grandfather is sure to give me sweet dreams tonight.
    [​IMG]

weaselwatchr, Mylinn, patsyt and 13 others like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

My Great Grandfather was born in 1882, but the photo is from 1902 - 330 words. Thank you!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Mylinn, patsyt, meterr and 9 others like this.
  12. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

156 words:

[​IMG]

LynnG, Iowan, elk2009 and 2 others like this.
  13. wenckechodan

wenckechodan Active Member

Hi there! I kind of cheated with the three pictures - please shoot me a message if you don't think this layout complies with the rules.
    I read about the limit, but immediately forgot about it when I found the elegant quickpage that I wanted to work with. So - boom - I added four pictures. I now tweaked the page a little for the challenge, but I'll attach the other layout as well, as this is the one that will be printed. ;-)

If I may say so, I'm really happy with the journaling. It captures some funny and ridiculous stories, and the last paragraph makes me tear up a little. This challenge has the PERFECT timing: just yesterday night, our business was presented in our local news. We're all so proud.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

weaselwatchr, Mylinn, meterr and 7 others like this.
  14. CarolinaScrapper

CarolinaScrapper Well-Known Member

had a very awful childhood, no traditions or family stories. could I tell the story of my oldest baby? , born in 1996, just to start it would be like, found out at 18 that i was pregnant and living in Nc then went back to texas to get military insurance reinstated, months later was back in Nc and found out my baby was going to have health issues.. and how she might have to have surgery the second she was born... would that be ok for this challenge ?

ToniSue, meterr and cookingmylife like this.
  15. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you for this gorgeous challenge.
    Here is my page
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, LynnG, flowersgal and 4 others like this.
  16. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

What a beautiful pages already!

[​IMG]

Mylinn, LynnG, Iowan and 3 others like this.
  17. AnnePC

AnnePC Well-Known Member

18. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

A story I was telling the children during our snow week last month.
    [​IMG]

19. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Fist bump of solidarity for everyone with jacked up families/childhood :-D

You'd think a writer wouldn't struggle so much with the journaling challenges ...

Kat, ToniSue, meterr and 8 others like this.
  20. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

Here is my page:

[​IMG]

Mylinn, threadjungle, LynnG and 3 others like this.