Writing about the hard times

Discussion in 'Journaling and Storytelling' started by MrsGaramer, Jul 23, 2017.

1. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

When you want to do a little scrap therapy, do you usually let it all out in text or do you find a way to hide it within your page somehow? I have some things I would like to journal about (yay for scrap therapy!) but I'm conflicted about whether to show it in my page or try to hide some of it.

For the scrap therapy challenge on MOC4 I blended everything in because my journaling didn't mean much but what I'd like to write about is an important family event. I'm conflicted!! If I want to go back and experience it, I'd like to be able to read it. This is when I miss paper scrapping and little envelopes :giggle I'd love to hear what you do (and see it if you have examples)!

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hmm. Why not have two versions: one that's totally read-able and one that's blurred? That's what I did for the MOC challenge--I posted the blurred the text and put paint splats on my LO cuz it contained personal info about not just myself but some family members. But I kept the non-blurred/painted for myself. Just seeing it in my gallery here reminds me of how I was feeling (uh, and still do), so I don't necessarily need the words.
    [​IMG]
    And if you decide to keep a legible copy for yourself, what about putting it in a password-protected folder, so you don't have to worry about other people finding it? Or, keep it as a TIFF file with a solid color on top--like white, or a color that matches your page, so that people who may open it don't actually see the words the moment they view it.

Angela Toucan, GigiMae and MrsGaramer like this.
  3. MrsGaramer

@Tree City what a great idea!!! I've been trying to stay true to scrapping all memories (the good, the bad and the ugly) but I'm finding that it's not always that easy. I don't think there are as many stories passed down now days and I'm trying to do that in my scrapping.

Tree City likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I did a class with our Tangie, and we wrote out the journaling, and then created on top of it...I was blown away at the process, and what it did for me.

honeyandcheese and Angela Toucan like this.
  5. MrsGaramer

I find journaling to be so releasing!

6. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

During MOC, there was a challenge & I wrote out painful thoughts I was going through. I really wasn't sure if I'd post it. I even sent it to my designer saying I was pretty sure I wouldn't post it for promotion, but that I wanted her to see it. I ended up posting it at the very end of MOC, It's still in my gallery, it's been viewed like 50 times. It's just real life & I don't want to hide. I'm also not trying to publicize my pain, so I won't link it. It just works for me to have it there.

7. MrsGaramer

I found it :) I think it's simply beautiful the way you wrote and this is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. We were visiting family last week and it was probably the hardest week of my life. I want to write about it so that, one day, my kids will understand what was going on. It's not a great story but I feel like it needs to be told. I hope you are finding some peace, I can relate to your story.

wvsandy and jesskab like this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I absolutely think you should journal about it AND keep it visible. I think that those kind of stories are super important even to yourself year down the road, you could go back and read it and either feel justified for your current feelings OR maybe even laugh about it and how things turned out so much better. You don't have to post in in the public gallery (I usually don't for stuff like that) but get the feelings and memories out and captured for my family. I think of my scrapbook like a diary a lot of the time.

9. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I am bluntly honest and I have scrapped about many hard times in my life. It is perfectly visabile and out there...

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

The very first page I uploaded here at the Pad was during a pretty rough time and about some of how I felt. I went back to look at it and I love the comment that Anne left on it back then that said "oh may this be a page you look back and read and smile about due to the blessing that are poured upon your life!" And I do now, so much so! I really feel like I need to scrap about some of the harder times and how I was feeling at the time. I don't mind having it visible, I'm a pretty open book. And I definitely want my family to be able to read it and better understand some things.

AJK, Serena, Tree City and 1 other person like this.
  11. MrsGaramer

I'm usually an open book too. I'm going to work on it and see what happens

12. MrsGaramer

What a sweet comment she left!!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't usually hide it. I usually let it all out. This layout isn't in my gallery here, but it encompasses a lot of heavy feelings I was having at the time. I'm glad it's there because I'm not in that heavy spot anymore. I've found a peace with a longtime struggle. I think knowing that there are struggles and that we survive them is good to teach kids, and ourselves. Life isn't always rainbows and roses, and I feel like if I don't include the hard stuff, then something is missing. Now, this approach is not for everyone, our stories are our own, and we are the narrator. But I find stories more exciting when there is depth of character, and highs and lows. And this is my story.

I still enjoy the pretty papers and fun pages too!

[​IMG]

wvsandy and Aerobigirl like this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I haven't done this as much with digital, but with some paper layouts, I would include some journaling on separate paper and tuck it behind the layout in the page protectors. It was there should I want to read it and my children could read it if they knew where to look . . . maybe that's an option if you print single pages?

Serena and Tree City like this.
  15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

If it is just about me I tend to put it all out there, if it pertains to others who might be hurt, I tend to hide it or make it illegible.

Aerobigirl and MrsGaramer like this.
  16. MrsGaramer

This is beautiful!

bestcee likes this.
  17. MrsGaramer

I actually have a "diary" paper scrapbook I made many moons ago that I did a lot of this in. It is Alice in wonderland themed so it was fun to hide my feelings in it. I'm trying to move to printed books (if I ever finish haha). I might need to stick to separate pages at the rate I'm going

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. GwenCreative

GwenCreative Member

I usually do not hide my feelings even though they are difficult because they are part of me and my story. On the other hand, if they concern people other than myself, I try to hide them or not to read them all.

bestcee and MrsGaramer like this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Random thought. You could always measure out where you want to hide the journaling and create a spot to attach it after printing? Like a journaling card, and then you could attach a filler card over it when the printed book arrives.

Or make it even easier, and create a two page where the journaling is on the inside towards the spine, and the backside folds over to hide it.
    I can visualize that, but I'm not sure I'm describing it well?

Tree City likes this.
  20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I write it down on my page. Now, I was printing an album the other day and a page never made it to the book. Even though it's an important page for me I didn't think it was appropriate to be in my daughter's album.

MrsGaramer likes this.