Christmas in July Index-Card-A-Day Challenge | JULY 21-30, 2017 | PRIZES AWARDED

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by londoncuppa, Jul 21, 2017.

1. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

[​IMG]

Welcome to The Pad’s Christmas in July Index-Card-A-Day Challenge! For the next 10 days, we’ll be putting our creative caps on and creating miniature “layouts” on ten 3x5 index cards using a variety of prompts as inspiration. If you make it all the way through, there will be a prize at the end of the scrappy rainbow for you! Now, if you’re a 30-Day Lister or enjoy Lister’s Gotta List like I do, this will be familiar territory. If you’re not, it’s going to exciting, fresh territory for you. You’ll love it…I promise!

Here’s how it works:
    • Download the free templates (see bottom of thread). You only need to download the template(s) in the format you want to work with.
      • There are two 12x12 templates; one for Days 1-6 and another for Days 7-10 (PSD or TIFF).
      • If you want to work in 8.5x11 or directly with separate PNGs (for those not using Photoshop or PSE), there's a download option for you too.
      • I've also included an 8.5x11 printable sheet (3 PNGs fit to a page). If your PNG doesn’t open at the correct size, it should be 5 inches wide x 3.46 inches tall. If you run into any issues with the templates, just send me a PM.

• Each day, four (4) new prompts will be listed in this thread. Pick ONE (1) prompt and scrap your interpretation of it on that day’s index card. Since this is a Christmas in July Challenge, two prompts will be related to winter & holidays, and the other two will be completely random. Choose the one that speaks to you and scrap it however you want. If you want to include photos on your card, that’s fantastic. If that’s not how you roll, that’s okay too. This is your art. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

• Check this thread each day for the next set of prompts. The final set of prompts will be posted on Sunday, July 30, 2017.

• Work at your own pace. You can follow along each day or procrastinate and do it all at the last minute. Just keep in mind that the completion deadline for all cards is midnight EST on Sunday, July 30, 2017. So, if you want your prize, your layouts, with all 10 cards, must be finished and uploaded to the gallery by the deadline. You will also need to post your completed cards in this thread by the deadline as well, so we’ll know who finished. One lucky random winner will be chosen from the finishers to receive a bonus prize from the store. All prizes will be distributed after the wrap-up chat on Monday, July 31, 2017.
    • You can upload your layout at any point during the challenge, but a completed version needs to be uploaded by the deadline. You only need to upload one layout. To update your upload, simply edit the original upload and replace the image with your new one. If you need help with this, let me know. If you don't want to bother and would rather wait and upload your layout once at the end, that's fine too.
    Are you ready for Day 1 prompts? Drumroll, please…
    1. Favorite Winter Outdoors Activity
    2. Favorite Christmas Ornament(s)
    3. Current Reading List
    4. Where I Love to Shop

This is my Day 1 card.
    I chose to scrap about my favorite Christmas ornaments. We went to my great-aunts’ house Christmas Day each year, and they always had mercury ornaments on their tree. These vintage baubles always make me think of these wonderful ladies decades after they passed away. Even modern reproductions make me smile. My second favorite ornaments are my UK/England treasures, but hey - the card is only 3x5. :D

[​IMG]

There are so many examples online of what you can do with these cards. The only limit is your imagination. These are a few I found that I really liked:

[​IMG]

If you need help getting started, CD Muckosky has an excellent pack of index cards in the store.
    [​IMG]

If you want to go more traditional, Mommyish has these.
    [​IMG]

Or you can do what I did and buy some really great Christmas papers at the sale!

And lastly (because I know someone will ask this question), can you mix & match prompts for different days? While the idea is to stretch your skills, I know there may be more than one prompt you really like, so you can mix them if you really want to.

I hope all of you will join me tonight in the chat (pokes ad above). Grab a drink and pull up a chair. Here we go!

INDIVIDUAL DOWNLOAD LINKS:
    A few people reported transparency issues with the original zip file, so I've listed links to each individual file below. They've been tested and should be fine. If you run into any issues, please send me a PM.

TLP Christmas In July Challenge Template-DAYS 1-6 (12x12).psd
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qthjv3rcrrq8ft0/TLP%20Christmas%20In%20July%20Challenge%20Template-DAYS%201-6%20%2812x12%29.psd?dl=0

TLP Christmas In July Challenge Template-DAYS 7-10 (12x12).psd
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/frtuaz496b8uyrp/TLP%20Christmas%20In%20July%20Challenge%20Template-DAYS%207-10%20%2812x12%29.psd?dl=0

TLP Christmas In July Challenge Template-DAYS 1-6 (12x12).tif
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/boh152efqznjmp1/TLP%20Christmas%20In%20July%20Challenge%20Template-DAYS%201-6%20%2812x12%29.tif?dl=0

TLP Christmas In July Challenge Template-DAYS 7-10 (12x12).tif
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwie1pa1gs3l288/TLP%20Christmas%20In%20July%20Challenge%20Template-DAYS%207-10%20%2812x12%29.tif?dl=0

Days 1-10 CARD BASES (folder with 10 Individual PNGs)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/egbreft35u0tx5r/AAB4gj7DnkGioHGpMgbyqMe2a?dl=0

8.5x11 CARD BASES (3 PNGs to a Printable Sheet)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/drzf3dtoqcb602r/TLP%20Christmas%20In%20July%20Challenge%20Index%20Card%20Base%20%28Printable_8.5x11%29.png?dl=0

8.5x11 CARD BASES (3 BLANK PNGs in one PSD file)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gcsm2u9t2zisyon/TLP%20Christmas%20In%20July%20Challenge%20Index%20Card%20Base%20%28Printable_8.5x11%29.psd?dl=0
    UPDATE - HERE ARE ALL OF THE PROMPTS FOR DAYS 1-10:
    *** Are you ready for Day 1 prompts? Drumroll, please… ***
    1. Favorite Winter Outdoors Activity
    2. Favorite Christmas Ornament(s)
    3. Current Reading List
    4. Where I Love to Shop
    *** Here we go with prompts for Day 2: ***
    1. Winter Guilty Pleasures
    2. Favorite Christmas/Holiday Movies
    3. Favorite Phone Apps
    4. Superpowers I Wish I Had
    *** Are you ready for Day 3 prompts? ***
    1. Favorite Winter Memory
    2. Favorite Christmas/Holiday Treat
    3. On My Amazon Wishlist
    4. Sundays Are For …
    *** Day 4 prompts for you wonderful, creative peeps! ***
    1. The Perfect Winter Vacation Would Be…
    2. The Best Christmas Gift I Ever Received Was…
    3. Favorite YouTube Channel(s)
    4. Reasons Why I Love My…
    *** We’re halfway done with these Day 5 prompts! ***
    1. My Favorite Season of the Year Is…
    2. What I Want In My Christmas Stocking
    3. Songs Currently in My Listening Rotation
    4. Things I Wish I’d Invented
    *** We’re rolling along with Day 6 prompts! ***
    1. My Favorite Christmas Carols/Songs
    2. Favorite Memory with My Parents
    3. Words to Describe My Life Right Now
    4. Celebrity Crushes (Past or Present)

*** Can I get a “Woohoo” for the Day 7 prompts?! ***

1. What a Perfect Christmas Would Look Like
    2. Favorite People In History/Historical Figure(s) I’d Love to Meet
    3. What’s On My Desk
    4. My Favorite Band/Singer(s) When I Was A Teenager

*** Only 3 More Days to Go With These Day 8 prompts! ***

1. Christmas/Holiday Family Tradition(s)
    2. This is What My Dream Job Looks Like
    3. Things I’ve Learned from My Kids/Spouse/Significant Other
    4. What I Can’t Live Without
    *** Can You Believe We Only Have One More Day to Go? ***
    1. My Plans for Christmas 2017
    2. Favorite Comfort Food
    3. Halloween Costumes I’ve Worn
    4. Currently in My Purse/Bag/Wallet

*** Can you believe we’re at the end? I know you’re going to rock these Day 10 prompts! ***

1. Funny Family Christmas Story(ies)
    2. A Typical Day-In-The-Life Circa July 2017
    3. Things I’m Grateful for This Year
    4. I Really Loved This Prompt, But It Was For Another Day, So I’m Doing It Here :D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    KarenB likes this.
  3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Great challenge. I like the idea of random prompts as I am not in the mood for Christmas right now. I did 30 days of lists once and it was really fun (and I finished, too - happens rarely with me). So I will definitely join you.

4. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

This is great Margaret :) I really want to do this, but is it ok to not do Christmas? I have no photos that I haven't scrapped for Christmas?

5. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I will play along! Thank you for the inspiration, Margaret.

6. londoncuppa

Absolutely. Pick the prompt for the day that works for you. If it's one of the random prompts that has nothing to do with winter or Christmas, that's perfectly fine.

KarenB likes this.
  7. londoncuppa

Great, Cindy! I'm so glad you're going to play along.

8. londoncuppa

Lol...isn't it great when we finish? I love all of the listing challenges. I think the fact that they're both biographical and have such variety make them so appealing. I can't wait to see what you do!

9. londoncuppa

Excellent find, Cath! I actually own that set. When I get home, I'll open it up and measure the cards for you and will let you know. I'm at work right now and can't check. This challenge is also perfect for using 4x6 journaling cards and resizing them and/or clipping them to the index card base template.

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My first thought is that 3x5 is way too small. But then again, maybe it's a good way to get back into scrapping after not doing it much for the last couple of months.

klee73010 likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is fun! I hope to play along! I might make it to the chat this evening for a bit. DS has a football "meet the coaches" thing to go to at 6, so if we get back in time, I'll be there.

12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hi Margaret, I think you need to move this to a gallery that all can see. I'm forbidden. :-(

13. londoncuppa

Hope you're able to make it tonight, Jan. I take it he survived his *cough* physical...lol.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. londoncuppa

Thanks for letting me know, Marilyn. I moved it. If you still can't see it, let me know.

mcurtt likes this.
  15. londoncuppa

Hope you play, Michele. It's essentially decorating a journaling card. Super fast. I agree that it does take a change of thought process. I'd love to see what you can come up with!

michelepixels likes this.
  16. londoncuppa

@Cath_ Cath - I ran home on my break and checked those dimensions for you in Allison's Indexed kit. I looked at a few random index cards, and each one measured 5.12 inches x 3.63 inches (1536 pixels x 1089 pixels), so they'll definitely work. Hope that helps!

norton94 likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hahaha yeah, he did. He swears those doctors soak their hands in ice water before the physicals :giggle

londoncuppa likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

such a darling idea Margaret! :beat:heartlub:beat

londoncuppa likes this.
  19. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I agree! I decided the same thing about my art journaling, and regular scrapping too. I have some physical index cards ready for my physical art journal project, so seeing this for Christmas in July made my heart smile. Time to get back to it!

michelepixels and londoncuppa like this.
  20. Sunberry2

Sunberry2 Full of secret tidbits

What a fun challenge! It is a good size for a mini book that I could print at the end of the month!

BevG likes this.