raise your hand if... |pad patter 5.19.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, May 19, 2017.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Raise your hand if you love cutting things out of lamination. I know it sounds crazy for a digi scrapper to say she loves cutting, but I love cutting things out of lamination for my DD's teacher. There's just something satisfying about zipping and sliding those scissors across a long strip of lamination and making a huge stack of nicely cut items. I just plop down in front of a tv show and go to town. It's best if the items I'm cutting out are squares or rectangles, so it's more of just sliding the scissors through the film slicing it, than actual cutting.

Yesterday I spent the day at the copy store and then the school putting together an Escape Room game for the 5th grade. Cutting all the pieces from the color copies before laminating wasn't as fun as cutting them out of the lamination later at home. You should have seen me walking out of the school with a huge roll of laminated items to cut. I think I had close to 50 feet. I could barely get my arms around it.

I think the kids are really going to enjoy playing the game during the last few days of school and the teacher was over the moon excited that I was doing all the work for her. She has had the game pdf files for a couple of weeks, but was struggling with how to find the time to put it together. She was so excited when I emailed her on Wednesday asking if she needed help with anything. I was happy to help as I'm thrilled to have her as my daughter's teacher. She's been amazing and my DD has loved being in her class. We secretly hope she moves up to 6th grade so we can have her again next year.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I would do it for my kid's teachers (until the school made it next to impossible to be a parent volunteer on campus.) They absolutely loved it that I would do it for them.

3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

:giggle This is not something I've really thought about, done much of, and don't really anticipate doing much of. Though... that sounds like a super fun thing to do with the kids, and I wouldn't hesitate to help out that way! Sounds like a great teacher, Kayla!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I used to do a lot of what I call "fussy cutting" in my paper scrapbooking days. It's all about the scissors!

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh yes, sliding a pair of scissors through lamination or through wrapping paper is heaven. I don't care if that makes me a nerd or a weirdo: I love it! But I haven't done any laminating work for DD's school cuz I keep forgetting to get taught how to use their machine. (I mean I've cut stuff that others have laminated but not used the machine.) I really should learn, but I guess now I'll have to wait until next school year.

bellbird, gwtwred and keepscrappin like this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Nope, not me, not my thing....now give me some copic markers, pencils, metallic pens....and I'm in heaven. That's why I can't ever completely give up hybrid scrapping (mostly card making) b/c I love to color. I'm not good at it but its fun. I love to stamp images and then sit and color while watching TV. Now this is making me want to do it LOL.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

oh yes... you've described it perfectly Sara... it is heaven! NERDS UNITE! hehe

Tree City likes this.
  8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

YES! I loved doing that when I worked at the school site. Now that I'm in Technology we try to print as little as possible. :cry

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Ha! I used to work as a teaching assistant and laminating and cutting out was one of my favourite things to do! :giggle

bellbird and keepscrappin like this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

No idea what this is but I know I've never done it. The only thing I know about fiddly cutting is to move the paper not the scissors.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Our school made it hard too!

I enjoy cutting things out. I prefer to use my rotary cutter though. And I debate often on whether I will use something enough in our homeschool to laminate or not. Often, laminate wins because it's fun. :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. keepscrappin

Oh yes, I've used my rotary cutter plenty of times for more things than fabric. I love it! I also have a wrapping paper slicer/cutter that's fun to zip through paper. It really helps make wrapping presents easier.

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

u can keep this volunteer job Kayla - i do have 'special scissors' (ie. the kids know you don't touch my 'special scissors!') but cutting stuff out is one of the reasons i left the paper scrap world!

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Here's my bad mom confession of the day: I don't want to volunteer at school, especially in the classroom, so I don't. If I wanted to be around other people's loud crazy unruly children, I would have become a teacher and gotten paid to do it! :giggle

Not that my children aren't loud, crazy, and unruly as well but I have to be around them whether I like it or not. :crazy

My mom, however, volunteers in my daughter's class every week (and then helps my sister who teaches at the same school in her classroom) so I am totally counting that as me volunteering by proxy!

I did some of those type of at-home activities for my daughter's teacher when she was in kindergarten. Her last two teachers have never taken me up on my offer to help.

bestcee, keepscrappin and QuiltyMom like this.
  15. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I mostly went because my son was a special needs student, and I wanted to help out in the Art class. It worked for a while until I realized I needed a break from my son, so it was probably a good thing that the school said no more in-class volunteers. They were always looking for help in the cafeteria, though. Umm, no thank you!

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. keepscrappin

You're not a bad mom. You're a smart mom. One that knows what she can handle. It totally counts that your mom volunteers in your place. I don't mind helping in the classroom with things like math, science, computers and art, but I don't like helping with reading. I'd rather have my teeth pulled one by one than have to listen to kids read to me. That's a job you need to get paid to do. Sure I read with my kids and had them read to me but they're my kids. I don't have the patience to do that with other people's kids... hehe.

I mostly do independent projects for the teachers. Things like doing bulletin boards, making copies, correcting worksheets, doing book orders, mostly secretarial type work. Some teachers have taken me up on my offers to help and others haven't. It's their loss, cuz I do amazing work and at the right price too...hehe, joke! The teachers, I've helped have been very appreciative and that makes it all worth my time and effort.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  17. keepscrappin

Oh yeah, no thank you with helping in the cafeteria. That one should be on the Dirty Jobs tv show.... Eww!

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You're not a bad mom. I have 1 kid, so volunteering once in awhile sounded like a good idea to me. Plus, I wanted to see his classroom, and the school environment. And your mom volunteering totally counts! It's all a mute point anyway for me, since we are homeschooling, and now I am the teacher.