May Inspiration Challenge

Discussion in 'May 2018 Challenges' started by ashleywb, Apr 29, 2018.

1. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I am so excited to bring you the inspiration challenge this month. This was something completely new to me and I had alot of fun with it. Maybe too much fun...well...so much that I will apologize in advance for the length of this thread. :giggle

This all started when my daughter wanted to show me this "super cool" video editing app that she had downloaded. She was raving about the effect that it created. Y'all - when I saw it I couldn't believe it. Remember back in the dark ages before we had digital HD TV, or any kind of digital TV? Remember antennas? And when the channel wasn't coming in so well you got a grainy, static picture? THIS! This tragic effect that caused me to miss chunks of my favorite programs is the effect that my daughter thinks is SO COOL.

I did a little research and it is a thing. It is a trend in graphic design and it's called the "glitch" effect. Here are a few examples from the print world.
    glitch-2.jpg glitch-3.jpg
    images-3.jpeg

So, this month we are taking inspiration from the glitch effect. I know that some of you are getting antsy already. DON'T PANIC! This is NOT a TECHNIQUE challenge, it is an INSPIRATION challenge. Any way that you would like to interpret this effect is completely fine.

I played with this quite a bit and I will share some tips on how to get the effect. There are also tons of tutorials out there on the web.

Here are two of the pages I created:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually like the first layout the best, but I'm going to show you how to acheive the effect in the 2nd one first, because it is the more complicated technique.

I started out with the photo of my daughter and I created a copy of the photo. Actually you'll notice there are a couple copies of the photo here - and one of them has a filter layer attached to it. Just ignore it. I started there, but ended up going another direction.

With the top copy of the photo highlighted, I used the rectangular marquee tool to cut out pieces of the photo. To do this, make a selection by dragging your mouse out to a size of rectangle that you like, right click and choose Layer Via Copy. This will cut out a rectangle and put it on its own layer. I did this 5 times and had 5 random little rectangle strip layers.

layer via copy boxes.jpg

I apologize, I did not get a screen shot directly after creating these layers, however, your layers pallette should look something like this now: In my case there are 5 individual rectangle (box) layers. Nothing special about 5 - do as few or many as you like.

5 layers.jpg

Now comes the fun part. Next, I ran a wave filter on each one of the boxes in order to distort it and give that glitch effect. Highlight one of the box layers. Go to FILTER - DISTORT - WAVE and the following dialogue box will pop up. Make sure that the type of wave is SQUARE. I used only 1 generator. As far as wavelength and amplitude go, I just played with them. It is important to keep your vertical scale at 1% but you can play with the horizontal scale. You can kind of see in the preview box that my little rectangle is now uneven, you can hit the randomize button until you get a look that you like.

waves for boxes.jpg

I repeated this process on each of my individual box layers. Same process, 5 times. Here's what it looked like. (SIDE NOTE: You could also run the wave on the entire photo rather than individual pieces)

rectangles with waves.jpg

Can you see them? The 5 rectangles are glitched which causes some distortion to the photo. I wish I had thought to turn off the original photo layer so that you could see the rectangles against a blank background, but hindsight is 20/20. Hope you still get an idea of the effect.

Ok - the next step is to play with the blending options on these rectangles. Before doing that, I decided to merge those layers into one. It just seemed like it would be easier to work with them on one layer. Just highlight your rectangle layers and go to LAYERS - MERGE LAYERS.

merge glitch layers.jpg

Before moving on, make at least one copy of that layer. So you should have at least 2 copies of your "glitched" layers.

Now, with one of your glitch layers selected, go to LAYER - LAYER STYLE - BLENDING OPTIONS.

blending options for color.jpg

That will pull up a dialogue box that will allow you to play with the color channels on those rectangles.

color channel boxes.jpg

So, remember that I told you to make a copy of the glitch layers. Do the same thing to your second layer. go to LAYER - LAYER STYLE - BLENDING OPTIONS. Play with your color channels again. Maybe you want to deselect a different one this time and see what it does to the colors of your layers.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST (told you it was long!!)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    appellief, Mylinn, Zeneva and 3 others like this.
  2. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I really liked the bright pinks and greens I was getting by deselecting the green channel, so I did that on both of my layers. Then I used the move tool (or arrow keys) to stagger those layers so that they were not sitting directly on top of one another. Here's what it looked like:

color channels on.jpg

OK. Last step. Now we are going to create the grainy, static look on top of the photo. Create a new layer by clicking on the little page icon in your layers palette. Fill the layer with white.

Create layer for lines.jpg

With your new white layer selected, go to FILTER - FILTER GALLERY. That will bring up the following dialogue box.

halftone.jpg

Choose the Halftone Pattern. Make sure the pattern type is LINE. Leave the contrast 0 and select a size that you like - probably around 1 - 7. Click ok it it will apply the pattern to your white layer.

So sorry I don't have a screen shot for this, but stay on that layer and change the blending mode from normal to either soft light or hard mix. You can play with the opacity as well to acheive a look you like. My final result was the second layout that I posted above.

[​IMG]

But, like I said, my favorite was the first layout and it was actually a litte easier to acheive.

[​IMG]

For this layout, I used geometric clipping masks - triangles. I created them using the polygon tool, but you could also grab any shape from a scrapbooking kit and just use it as a clipping mask. Then I applied the halftone pattern to the top layer just as we did before, and there you go! Easy Peasy.

Triangle Technique.jpg

And because I just couldn't stop, I played around with one more photo and used an even simpler method. With this photo of my youngest making her fierce face, I used only clipping masks and blending modes to get the glitch effect.

05.18glitch_fierce-web.jpg

I started with the photo as the background and made one copy. I created a clipping mask and clipped the copy of the photo to the mask. Then shifted the photos so they don't exactly line up. After that I used the rectangular marquee to create three thin strips to use as clipping masks.

Fierce_clippingmasks.jpg

Finally, I clipped some of Lynne-Marie's papers to the clipping masks. I also changed the blending mode on one of the photos. I think it's a pretty fun interpretation of the glitch effect.

Fierce_clippapers.jpg

So there you go, my take on the glitch trend. I hope that I haven't overwhelmed anyone and I hope you have fun playing with this. REMEMBER - it's not a technique challenge. It is meant to provide a bit of inspiration and fun trying something new.

Go, and be inspired by the glitch. I truly CAN'T WAIT to see you rock this challenge!

And as always: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the May Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Mylinn, jenn mccabe, umyesh and 2 others like this.
  3. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

Hi. Interesting challenge. Have followed your steps in first example up until colour channels. I use PSE 11 and that choice of changing colour channels does not seem to be available. Does anyone know of a work around?

4. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I use Serif software so will try to create something similar...:)

ashleywb likes this.
  5. Zeneva

Zeneva Active Member

This is such an awesome challenge! Thank you also for adding the tutorial! :)

[​IMG]

My 2nd layout....just because I was having fun learning! :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    honeyandcheese and ashleywb like this.
  6. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I am always positive in my posts so I'm trying hard to find a way to respond positively to something I really am not a fan of! It so reminds me of TV in the early days of colour! Yep, I'm old! So, While I'm not a fan, I will give it a go, just for you....and because I LOVE getting 7 pages done a month, at least! BUT, HOW do we do it in Artisan please??? I don't have photoshop, it's too complicated for a simple gal like me! :) I do love that you girls love pushing us out of our comfort zone!!! I think! LOL :) :) :)

7. pitiscrap

pitiscrap Well-Known Member

What a great, original and inspiring challenge ! I am so exited to try do do it !!!

8. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I will do a little research. In the meantime @Sokee are you using PSE? Do you know if you can turn off color channels?

9. pitiscrap

pitiscrap Well-Known Member

10. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I totally get it - I thought it was pretty ironic that this is a trend in design when it was completely annoying and undesireable back in the day. I'm not familiar with Artisan - I will see if I can find someone who is that can jump in here. Can you create clipping masks in Artisan? That is a simpler way to get the effect.

11. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

12. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Would it work to create an adjustment layer just above your rectangles. Choose the solid color adjustment layer, make it red (or green or blue) and then change the blending mode on that layer and clip it to your rectangles?

13. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

OK ... This is SO COOL and unique! I love it! Thank you for the time you took to put together this tutorial and challenge Ashley! Love your inspiration and pages!

ashleywb and Vrielinkie like this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

This is really neat Ashley. Looking forward to trying it!

ashleywb likes this.
  15. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Wooooooowza, I'm sooooooo excited about this! I'm off to the drawing board, awesome challenge :circles

ashleywb likes this.
  16. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is awesome, Ashley! Woot!

ashleywb likes this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Really interesting!

ashleywb likes this.
  18. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Ohhhh, I love learning something new!!! Can't wait to play with this!!

19. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

no you cannot clip in Artisan but you could possible use filters to distort the photo. I am an Artisan user and am going to try that.

Genniejoy and bellbird like this.
  20. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Thanks for jumping in, Trish! Let us know if that works for you.

Genniejoy and bellbird like this.