MOC Day 26 - The First Lady Indians

MOC Day 26 - The First Lady Indians
tkradtke, Jan 28, 2018
Description:
Super simple...

Papers and staples - February 2018 Storyteller by Just Jaimee
Fonts - Bariol and Bebas Neue

Journaling:
I’m not sure if you can read the writing at the bottom of the photo, but it says, in my grandmother’s handwriting, “Boliver, March 3, 1929”. On the back is four names... Roxie, Pearl, Cecil and Flora. My grandmother is Pearl and she’s the one second from the top. These girls were part of my grandmother’s high school basketball team and this was their senior year. I didn’t ask my grandmother about her days as a basketball player nearly enough when she was alive. But a month before her death in 2006, her high school honored her at a girls basketball game and I was able to read more about her experience in the articles she was interviewed for. She attended Strafford High School. and in 1925, she and five other freshmen made up the school’s very first girls basketball team. All six of those girls would play together all four years of high school. Basketball looked very different at that time. In 1925, the court was divided into three sections. Players were designated their areas and that was where they played (grandma played the guard position). Grandma was quoted as saying, “If the ball was not in your area, then you just stood there and waited till it reached your area again. Today you get to run all over the court and I like it much better”. Not only was the game play different, but so was the court. They played their games on concrete. “We thought it was great”, she said. When asked about her time as a player, she had this to say, “I think playing has made me a better person because I learned to compete and deal with all the possible outcomes”. I wish I would have talked to her more about this time in her life, but I am so thankful for the stories that were preserved through these articles.
    • Tree City
      how awesome is that! And what a fun photo, which you let stay the focus of the page along with your wonderful journaling!
      tkradtke likes this.
    • Serena
      I love the photo and story behind this, how AMAZING to have that knowledge!
      tkradtke likes this.
    • Iowan
      I love your story about your grandmother. My mother in law was a center in the three court basketball day. She played in the center court. The center was important because there was a jump ball after each made shot. I like the simplicity of your page and the wonderful photo. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    tkradtke
    Date:
    Jan 28, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    122.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    464px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).