In the Park | MOC Day 26 Heritage
scrumptious, Jan 29, 2018
Description:
Little Butterfly Wings - As Time Goes By
Background: Pink Reptile Designs - Fancy Whites
Wood hearts: Little Butterfly Wings - Say What
Cardboard numbers: Just Jaimee - Year in Review
Confetti: Just Jaimee - Grandpa Mini Kit
Glitter paint & glitter stars: Lynne-Marie & Quirky Heart - Mixed Media Monthly November 2014
Burst: Hoppy Birthday Collab
Mommyish - Chipboard Styles
Label Templates: Violet Irisovna - Pocket Basics 2
Template: Valerie Wibbens - September Template Challenge Freebie

Journaling:
I love this photo, the only one I have of my paternal grandparents together. In it, they’re just a couple of teens, goofing around in a park.
The image is made all the more poignant knowing my grandfather only lived for a few more years after this photo was taken. Ted died of a tooth infection before his son (my father) was two years old. Penicillin had been discovered in 1928 but did not become commercially available until the early 1940s, a very short time after he died. I can't imagine what that time was like for my grandmother, seeing her beloved husband die just a few years after they married, left on her own as a young woman with an infant child. She remarried (a dentist, ironically) and her new husband adopted my father. The relationship between stepfather and stepson was strained, and I think a lot of my father's depression and dark night of the soul stems from losing his father so young and being raised by such a strict and stern man.
I sometimes look at this photo and wonder who he might have been if he'd been able to be raised by those two goofballs in the park.
chastml and sbee like this.
    • A-M
      Wow! what a story which I so much enjoyed read. This is a well set out page to showcase the photo and history. I am sure you Dad was affected by his past, just like my Dad who was 11 when his mother died of Typhoid fever so he possibly would not have been able to say goodbye properly to her with it being contagious.
    • AnikA68
      wow this photo is really amazing, but makes someone really sad when reading the story. thanks for sharing
    • nessita
      This really touched my soul. The story, the page... Beauty!
    • Iowan
      A+++ "goofballs at the park-such fun journaling!!! I love your story and what a nice job of treating the photo. I like how you added the photo in front of the other bigger one. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge!!
    • rchansen
      Love the photo!! What an awfully sad story, though. Still, so important to get this story documented. And it's always okay to wonder what might have been...
      scrumptious likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    scrumptious
    Date:
    Jan 29, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    299.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).